Photocatalytic degradation of Doxycycline in aqueous solution using Fe2O3 andFe2O3-Bi2WO6 catalysts
AbstractPhotocatalytic degradation of Doxycycline in heterogeneous media constituted by nanoparticles of Fe2O3 and Fe2O3-Bi2WO6 was studied. The Bi2WO6 was prepared by hydrothermal method, and the Fe2O3-Bi2WO6 was obtained by mechanical mixing of Bi2WO6 to an amount of Fe2O3 and their photocatalytic activity to degrade doxycycline (Dox) under UV irradiation supported by H2O2 were studied. The H2O2 reacts with photogenerated electrons leading to the production of hydroxyl radicals (OH●). The Fe2O3 acts like a Fenton reagent, accelerating the production of OH●. In the present study Bi2WO6-Fe2O3/ H2O2 system demonstrate much higher photocatalytic efficiency to degrade Dox than pure Bi2WO6.
- F. Lin, D. E. Wang, Z. X. Jiang, Y. Ma, J. Li, R. G. Li, C. Li, Photocatalytic oxidation of thiophene on BiVO4 with dual co-catalysts Pt and RuO2 under visible light irradiation using molecular oxygen as oxidant, Energy Environ. Sci., 2012, 5, 6400–6406.
- R. Franking, L. S. Li, M. A. Lukowski, F. Meng, Y. Z. Tan, R. J. Hammers, S. Jin, Facile post-growth doping of nanostructured hematite photoanodes for enhanced photo- electrochemical water oxidation, Energy Environ. Sci., 2013, 6, 500–512.
- X. Wen, G. Niu, L. Zhang, C. Liang, G. Zeng, A novel Ag2O/CeO2 heterojunction photocatalysts for photocatalytic degradation of enrofloxacin: possible degradation pathways, mineralization activity and an in-depth mechanism insight, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 2018, 221, 701-714.
- J. Chen, X. Hua, C. Mao, H. Niu, J. Song, Synthesis of monodisperse pancake-like Bi2WO6 with prominent photocatalytic performances, Research on Chemical Intermediates, 2018, 44, 2251-2259.
- V. Sonkusare, R. G. Chaudhary, S. Ganesh, A. Rai, D. Juneja, Microwave-mediated synthesis, photocatalytic degradation and antibacterial activity of α -Bi2O3 micro flowers/novel γ -Bi2O3 microspindles, Nano-Structures & Nano-Objects, 2018, 13, 121-131.
- J. Zhou, F. Gong, H. Wang, Y. Xiao, F. Li, W. Mai, 3D mace-like hierarchical ZnO nano-architecture constructed with microcode bundles and porous single-crystalline nanosheets for acetone sensors with enhanced performances, Materials Science and Engineering: B, 2017, 225, 68-74.
- M. Tang, Y. Niu, J. Huang, C. Ming Li, Self-Assembled Flower-like ZnMoO4 /Graphene Composite Materials as Anode in Lithium-Ion Batteries, Chemistry Select., 2017, 2, 2144-2149.
- Y. Park, K. J. McDonald, K.S. Choi, Progress in bismuth vanadate photoanodes for use in solar water oxidation, Chem. Soc. Rev., 2013, 42, 2321–2337.
- Q. Lou, J. Zeng, L. Zheng, Z. Man, W. Wang, A. Kassiba, E. D. Politova, G. Li, Influence of defects on the photocatalytic behavior of La3+ ions doped SrBi2Nb2O9 ferroelectric materials, Journal of Applied Physics, 2019, 125, 154101.
- S. K. Pilli, T. E. Furtak, L. D. Brown, T. G. Deutsch, J. A. Turner, A. M. Herring, Cobalt-phosphate (Co-Pi) catalyst modified Mo-doped BiVO4 photoelectrodes for solar water oxidation, Energy Environ Sci., 2011, 4, 5028–5034.
- L. Zhang, W. Wang, L. Zhou, H. Xu, Bi2WO6 Nano‐ and Microstructures: Shape Control and Associated Visible‐Light‐Driven Photocatalytic Activities, Small, 2007,3, 1618-1625.
- W. Ma, L. Zhang, N. Qian, P. Xiong, X. Zhao, W. Lu, Size-Controlled Synthesis of BiPO4 Nanostructures and Their Photocatalytic Performances, Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, 2014, 39, 6721–6725.
- C. Zhang, Y. Zhu, Synthesis of Square Bi2WO6 Nanoplates as High-Activity Visible-Light-Driven Photocatalysts, Chem. Mater., 2005, 17, 3537-3545.
- Z. Du, R. Guo, J. Lan, S. Jiang, C. Cheng, L. Zhao, L. Peng, Preparation and photocatalytic activity of bismuth tungstate coated polyester fabric, Fibers and Polymers, 2017, 18, 2212–2218.
- D. Ma, S. Wang, P. Cai, J. Jiang, D. Yang, S. Huang. Self-assembled Three-dimensional Hierarchical BiVO4 Microspheres from Nanoplates: Malic Acid-assisted Hydrothermal Synthesis and Photocatalytic Activities, Chemistry Letters, 2009, 38, 962-963.
- Z. Sun, J. Guo, S. Zhu, J. Ma, Y. Liao, D. Zhang, High photocatalytic performance by engineering Bi2WO6 nanoneedles onto graphene sheets, RSC Adv., 2014, 4, 27963-27970.
- C. J. Páez, J. A. Navío, M. C, Hidalgo, A. Bouziani, M. E. Azzouzi, Mixed α-Fe2O3/Bi2WO6 oxides for photoassisted hetero-Fenton degradation of Methyl Orange and Phenol, Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, 2017, 332, 521-533.
- M. Gui, W. Zhang, Q. Su, C. Chen, Preparation and visible light photocatalytic activity of Bi2O3/Bi2WO6 heterojunction photocatalysts, Journal of Solid State Chemistry, 2011, 184, 1977-1982.
- H. Chun, Q. Zhang, J. Yang, Z. Xu, D. Shu, C. Shan, L. Zhu, W. Liao, Y. Xiong, Visible-Light-Induced Activity of AgI-BiOI Composites for Removal of Organic Contaminants from Water and Wastewater, Sustainable Nanotechnology and the Environment: Advances and Achievements. American Chemical Society, 2013, 277-290.
- H. Shi, B. Zou, Z. Li, M. Lu, W. Wang, Direct observation of oxygen-vacancy formation and structural changes in Bi2WO6 nanoflakes induced by electron irradiation, Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology, 2019, 10, 1434-1442.
- R. Tian, D. Liu, J. Wang, J. Zhou, E. X. Piao, Z. Sun, Three-dimensional BiOI/TiO2 heterostructures with photocatalytic activity under visible light irradiation, Journal of Porous Materials, 2018, 25, 1805-1812.
-J. Yang, X. Wang, X. Zhao, Jun Dai, and Sh. Mo. Synthesis of Uniform Bi2WO6-Reduced Graphene Oxide Nanocomposites with Significantly Enhanced Photocatalytic Reduction Activity. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2015, 119 (6), 3068-3078. DOI: 10.1021/jp510041x.
- P. Chen, H. Wang, H. Liu, Z. Ni, J. Li, Y. Zhou, F. Dong, Directional electron delivery and enhanced reactants activation enable efficient photocatalytic air purification on amorphous carbon nitride Co-Functionalized with O/La, Appl. Catal. B Environ., 2019, 242, 19–30.
- J. Li, X. Dong, Y. Sun, W. Cen, F. Dong, Facet-dependent interfacial charge separation and transfer in plasmonic photocatalysts, Appl. Catal. B Environ., 2018, 226, 269–277.
- H. W. Chen, J. Y. Li, M. Liu, X. Y. Liu, Y. X. Zhang, F. Dong, Synthesis of Bi2WO6 with gradient oxygen vacancies for highly photocatalytic NO oxidation and mechanism study, Chem. Eng. J., 2019, 361, 129–138.
- F. Dong, Y. Zhang, S. Zhang, Photocatalysis for Environmental Applications, Frontiers in Chemistry, 2019, 7, 303.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).