Modeling of absorption process of the water by the wood in two-dimensions
AbstractWood is a natural and highly anisotropic material. Therefore, mechanical characteristics of the material depend on the direction of wood. In this paper, we propose to describe the transfer of the water inside the wood in two dimensions by immersing the sample in liquid water. The potential which drives the transport of water through the wood is controlled by the diffusion transient process. A model based on a numerical finite difference method has been found to follow the absorption process of water above the fibers saturation point of two-dimensions.
- M. Fredriksson, On Wood–Water Interactions in the Over-Hygroscopic Moisture Range—Mechanisms, Methods, and Influence of Wood Modification, Forests, 2019, 10, 779.
- E. E. Thybring, S. V. Glass, S. L. Zelinka, Kinetics of Water Vapor Sorption in Wood Cell Walls: State of the Art and Research Needs, Forests, 2019, 10, 704.
- H.-S. Yang, H.-J. Kim, H.-J. Park, B.-J. Lee, T.S. Hwang, Water absorption behavior and mechanical properties of lignocellulosic filler–polyolefin bio-composites, Compos Struct., 2006, 72, 429–437.
- F. Faure, A. Perrot, S. Pimbert, T. Lecompte, Water absorption measurements on WPCs: Assessment of size and direction dependencies in order to design fast and accurate quality control tests, Polym Test., 2019, 77, 105899.
- V. V. Rodin, Magnetic Resonance In Studying Natural And Synthetic Materials, Bentham Science Publishers, 2018.
- P. M. Kekkonen, V.-V. Telkki, J. Jokisaari, Determining the highly anisotropic cell structures of Pinus sylvestris in three orthogonal directions by PGSTE NMR of absorbed water and methane, J Phys Chem B, 2008, 113, 1080–1084.
- M. El Kouali, J. Bouzon, J. M. Vergnaud, Modelling the Process of Absorption and Desorption of Water in a Sheet beyond the Fiber Saturation Point by Considering a Two-Dimensional Transfer, Holzforschung, 1992, 46, 187–192.
- N. Amardo, M. E. Kouali, M. Talbi, R. Atmani, F. Moubarak, Z. Mahhate, A. E. Brouzi, Modeling the Absorption of Water by the Wood, International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), Volume 4 Issue 3, March 2015.
- H. Mounji, M. El Kouali, J. Vergnaud, Process of absorption of moisture by wood in case of condensation. Modeling and experiment, J Polym Eng., 1993, 12, 197–218.
- E. Coelho, L. Domingues, J. A. Teixeira, J. M. Oliveira, T. Tavares, Understanding wine sorption by oak wood: Modeling of wine uptake and characterization of volatile compounds retention, Food Res Int., 2019, 116, 249–257.
- L. Bennani, M. Elkouali, M. Talbi, T. Ainane, Modelling the Absorption Process of Water in Wood in the Transient Regime, International Journal of Chemical Sciences, 2017, 11.
- E. F. A. Irmak, J. Hanses, S. Schweizer, T. Tröster, A. L. Design, Modeling the Energy Absorption Characteristics of Wood Crash Elements, 12th European LS-DYNA Conference 2019, Koblenz, Germany.
- R. Atmani, M. E. Kouali, M. Talbi, A. El, H. Argani, Numerical study of absorption and desorption systems of a liquid of simulation by polymer, without evaporation on the surface, Chemical & Metallurgical Engineering Journal, 2017, 4(1), 1-7.
- K. Yuniarti, G. Brodie, B. Ozarska, G. Harris, G. Waugh, A mathematical model for moisture movement during continous and intermittent drying of Eucalyptus saligna, Eur J Wood Wood Prod., 2018, 76, 1165–1172.
- A. El Brouzi, J.-M. Vergnaud, Diffusion of curing agent through the thickness of a bi-layer EPDM system during the cure, Polym Test., 2009, 28, 392–401.
- M. Defo, A. Cloutier, Y. Fortin, Modeling vacuum-contact drying of wood: the water potential approach, Dry Technol., 2000, 18,
- W. Olek, J. Weres, Effects of the method of identification of the diffusion coefficient on accuracy of modeling bound water transfer in wood, In, Kowalski SJ (ed). Drying of Porous Materials, Springer Netherlands: Dordrecht, 2007, 135–144.
- H. Mounji, M. El Kouali, J. M. Vergnaud, Process of Absorption of Moisture by Wood in Case of Condensation. Modelling and Experiment, J Polym Eng., 1993, 12, 197–218.
- H. Mounji, J. Bouzon, J. M. Vergnaud, Modeling the process of absorption and desorption of water in two dimensions (transverse) in a square wood beam, Wood Sci Technol., 1991, 26.
- A. Droin-Josserand, J. L. Taverdet, J. M. Vergnaud, Modelling of Moisture Absorption within a Section of Parallelepipedic Sample of Wood by Considering Longitudinal and Transversal Diffusion, Holzforschung, 1989, 43, 297–302.
- W. Kang, W. Y. Chung, Liquid water diffusivity of wood from the capillary pressure-moisture relation, J Wood Sci., 2009, 55, 91–99.
- A. Haloui, E. Kouali, J. Bouzon, J. M. Vergnaud, Process of absorption and desorption of methanol with a 3-dimensional transport through Picea wood, Wood Sci Technol., 1994, 28.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).