Water quality depends on remineralization’s method in the desalination plant
AbstractDesalination of seawater is an alternative solution in arid zones to provide potable water. In south Morocco, the National Office of Electricity and Water (ONEE) has built many desalination factories. However, the osmosis water (permeate) is unbalanced and has a corrosive character. Therefore, a post-treatment of remineralization is necessary to return to water its calcio-carbonic equilibrium and to protect the distribution pipelines from corrosion degradation. Following the performance on limestone bed remineralization in Daoura plant in comparison with other methods, this article evaluates this technique, by checking the effect of parameters on water quality on the laboratory scale using a calcite bed pilot. We tested E.B.C.T (Empty Bed Contact Time), the upward speed, the bed length, the effect of water debit and the residence time on the treated water quality. Monitoring these parameters on the laboratory scale is indeed essential for optimal remineralization process. With the results of this study as well as economic consideration, it is possible to optimize the choice of the conditions needed for remineralization operation through limestone bed to minimize its costs with sizing and extrapolating to the industrial scale.
- S. M, Louise, La gestion durable de l'eau, Editeur Dunod, Publication, 2012.
- K.Vecchio, S. Barone, Has Morocco’s groundwater policy changed. Lessons from the institutional approach. Water alternatives, Water Alternatives Association (Montpellier), 2018, 11 (3), 638-662.
- A. Hirich, R. Choukr-Allah, A. Nrhira, M. Malki, L. Bouchaou, Contribution of Seawater Desalination to Cope with Water Scarcity in Souss-Massa Region in Southern Morocco. The Souss‐Massa River Basin, Morocco, 2016, 213–226.
- F. El Azhar, M. Tahaikat, M. El Azhar, Z. Jalili, A. Zouahri, M.Hafsi, K. Tahri, A. El Midaoui, Performances of remineralisation post for reverse osmosis (RO)-desalted water, Int. J. Chem. Sci., 2013, 11(4), 1595-1606.
- F. El Azhar, M. Elamrani, M. Taky, M. Hafsi, A. Elmidaoui, Performances of nanofiltration and reverse osmosis membranes in desalination of M’nasra Brackish water: Comparison under running conditions, International Journal of Environmental Sciences, 2013, 3(2),
- F. El Azhar, N. El Harrak, M. El Azhar, M. Hafsi, A. Elmidaoui, Feasibility of Nanofiltration process in dual-stage in desalination of the seawater, Journal of Applied Chemistry, 2013, 5 (1), 35-42.
- N. El Harrak, F. Elazhar, A. Zdeg, N. Zouhri, M. Elazhar, A. Elmidaoui, Performances Analysis of the Reverse Osmosis Desalination Plant of Brackish Water Used for Irrigation: Case Study, American Journal of Applied Chemistry, 2013, 1(3), 43-48.
- M. Hafsi, Analysis of Boujdour desalination plant performance, Desalination, 2001, 134, 93-104.
- D. Hasson, O. Bendrihem, Modelling remineralization of desalinated water by limestone dissolution, Desalination, 2006, 190, 189–200.
- N. Delion, G. Mauguin, P. Corsin, Importance and impact of post-Treatments on design and operation of SWRO plants, Desalination, 2004, 165, 323–334.
- D. Cohen-Tanugi, J. C. Grossman, Water Desalination across Nanoporous Graphene. Nano Letters, 12(7), 2012, 3602–3608.
- A. Withers, Options for recarbonation, remineralisation and disinfection for desalination plants, Desalination, 2005, 179, 11-24.
- J. C. J. Gude, F. Schoonenberg Kegel, W. J. C. Van De Ven, P. J. De Moel, J. Q. J. C Verberk, C. Van Dijk, Micronized CaCO3: a feasible alternative to limestone filtration for conditioning and (re) mineralization of drinking water?, J. Water Supply: Research and Technology – AQUA, 2011, 60, 469-477.
- F. Ustaoğlu, Y. Tepe, Water quality and sediment contamination assessment of Pazarsuyu Stream, Turkey using multivariate statistical methods and pollution indicators, International Soil and Water Conservation Research, 2019, 7(1), 47-56.
- W.Y. Shih, J. Sutherland, E. Mackey, W. S. Walker, Final report, Upflow calcite contactor study, Texas water development board, 2012.
- M. Poffet, M. Skovby, M. Pohl, Remineralization of desalinated and of freshwater by dosing of calcium carbonate solution in soft water, U.S. Patent Application No. 14/237, 394, 2014.
- O. Lahav, L. Birnhack, Quality criteria for desalinated water following post-treatment, Desalination, 2007, 207, 286–303.
- J. Azamat, Functionalized Graphene Nanosheet as a Membrane for Water Desalination Using Applied Electric Fields: Insights from Molecular Dynamics Simulations. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2016, 120(41), 23883–23891.
- M. G. Biyoune, A. Atbir, H. Bari, E. Mongach, A. Khadir, L. Hassnaoui, L. Boukbir, M. Elhadek, Remineralization of desalinated water by adding lime Ca(OH)2 in the desalination plant of Laâyoune, J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 2014, 5(2), 2359-2364.
- M. G. Biyoune, A. Atbir, E. Mongach, H. Bari, A. Khadir, L. Hassnaoui, L. Boukbir, M. Elhadek, Comparative study between three methods of remineralization , J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 2015, 6 (5), 1243-1252.
- K. Z. Al-Subaie, Precise way to select a desalination technology, Desalination, 2007, 206, 29–35.
- P. F. de Souza, G. J. du Plessis, G. S. Mackintosh. An evaluation of the suitability of the limestone-based side stream stabilization process for stabilization of waters of the Lesotho highlands scheme, Water SA Special Edition, WISA Proceedings, 2002.
-A. Marrouche, M.G. Biyoune, A. Mabrouk, A. Bachar, A. Atbir, L. Boukbira, S. Mançour-Billah, H. Bari, R. Bellajroua, A. Aydda,
M. El Hadeka, Evaluation of remineralization performance of osmosis water on the calcite bed at a laboratory scale, Desalination and Water Treatment DWT, 2018,1–6.
- Y. Tepe, H. Aydin, Water-quality assessment of urban water, Batlama Creek (Giresun), Turkey, by applying multivariate statistical techniques, Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, 2017, 26(11), 6413-6420.
- M. G. Biyoune, A. Atbir, H. Bari, L. Hassnaoui, E. Mongach, L. Boukbir, R. Bellajrou, M. Elhadek, Remineralization of permeate water by calcite bed in the Daoura’s plant (south of Morocco), Eur. Phys. J. Special Topics, 2017, 226, 931–941.
- H. Shemer, D. Hasson, R. Semiat, M. Priel, N. Nadav, A. Shul¬man, E. Gelman, Remineralization of desalinated water by limestone dissolution with carbon dioxide, Desalination Water Treat., 51 (2013) 877–881.
- R. C. Seacord, Wide-character format string vulnerabilities, Dr Dobb's Journal-Software Tools for the Professional Programmer, 2005, 30(12), 63–65.
LicenseAuthors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).