Synthesis and optimization of combustion of briquettes based on substandard brown coals of Kazakhstan deposits with multipolymer binders
AbstractThe work aimed to study the process of burning coal briquettes with polymers. As the object of the research, the coals of Kazakhstan deposits were applied. The methodology of the study included theoretical and computational studies on the applied significance of coal processing, analysis by physicochemical research methods, pressing, drying and briquetting of coal with binders. It is shown that the briquettes combustion takes place stepwise and is characterized by a stationary regime. This is due to the mutual influence of the stages of pyrolysis of polyolefins and combustion of coke residue of substandard coal. In the combustion zone, the temperature did not depend on the content of polyethylene and was 400–500ºC in the coal burnout zone. The optimal compositions of briquettes supporting the combustion temperature of 1300°С were determined: coal-40 %, clay-20 %, polyethylene-40 %. Adding up to 20% clay to the polymer and coal mixture led to the formation of a combustion wave structure with symmetric temperature profiles. Thermogravimetric analysis shows that polyethylene plays the role of the initiator of combustion, burning at 500ºC, and in the future does not affect the maintenance of the combustion temperature of the briquette. The perspective of the results obtained is the possibility of utilization of low-demand coals of various brands of Kazakhstan deposits, which are waste of coal mining and coal enrichment with further production of coal briquettes of the required quality. Coal briquettes made from substandard coals with a multi-polymer binder, from chemical production waste have a higher calorific value, are mechanically robust during prolonged storage, do not crumble in the furnace until complete combustion, and are waterproof. These advantages determine their use for the population, as well as for various purposes of industrial economy, metallurgy and chemical industry.
- D. A. Baiseitov, M. I. Tulepov, L. R. Sassykova, Sh. E. Gabdrashova, A. N. Magazova, O. Dalelkhanuly, Zh. B. Kudyarova, Z. A. Mansurov, Catalytic hydrogenation of coal of the Kazakhstan fields in the presence of polymers, Bulg. Chem. Comm., 2017, 3, 600.
- V. Popovych, A. Voloshchyshyn, Features of temperature and humidity conditions of extinguishing waste heaps of coal mines in spring, News of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan, series of geology and technology sciences, 2019, 436, 230-237.
- Concept of development of the coal industry of the Republic of Kazakhstan for the period until 2020. Texture. Kazakhstan, Astana:b.i., 2008, 78.
- M. Tulepov, Z. Mansurov, L. Sassykova, D. Baiseitov, O. Dalelhanuly, Zh. Ualiev, Sh. Gabdrashova, Zh. Kudyarova, Research of iron-containing concentrates of Balkhash deposit (Kazakhstan) for processing of low-grade coal, Journal of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy, 2019, 54, 531-538.
- T. Olugbade, O. Ojo, T. Mohammed, Influence of binders on combustion properties of biomass briquettes: a recent review, Bioenergy Research, 2019, 12, 241-259.
- B. T. Yermagambet, N. U. Nurgaliyev, N. A. Maslov, L. D. Abylgazina, A. A. Syzdykov, Effect of electrophysical impact on the physical and chemical characteristics of coal ash from the Maikuben deposit, News of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan, series of geology and technology sciences, 2020, 439, 38-47. https://doi.org/10.32014/2020.2518-170X.5.
- V. S. Yemelyanova, B. T. Dossumova, T. V. Shakiyeva, L. R. Sassykova, S. Sendilvelan, Processing fly ash from the thermal power stations for gas emissions purification from sulfur dioxide, International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development, 2019, 9, 1027-1036.
- D. A. Baiseitov, Sh. E. Gabdrashova, A. N. Magazova, O. Dalelkhanuly, Zh. B. Kudyarova, M. I. Tulepov, L. R. Sassykova, Z. A. Mansurov, Hydrogenation of coal of “Karazhira” field: optimal catalysts and thermogravimetric researches, Int. J. Chem. Sci., 2016, 14, 244.
- T. Das, B. K. Saikia, D. K. Dutta, D. Bordoloi, B. P. Baruah, Agglomeration of low-rank Indian coal fines with an organic binder and the thermal behavior of the agglomerate produced: Part I, Fuel, 2015, 147, 269-278.
- G. R. Nyssanbayeva, K. K. Kudaibergenov, A. K. Seidildayeva, L. R. Sassykova, M. I. Tulepov, Synthesis of modified nanocarbon materials and determination of their adsorption capacity, International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development, 2020, 10, 305-314.
- L. Makouki, M. Tarbaoui, S. Glissi, S. Mansouri, H. Hannache, M. Oumam, Applying Response Surface Methodology to optimize the decarbonization process of Timahdit oil shale, Mediterranean Journal of Chemistry, 2019, 8, 372-379.
- S. R. Motaung, S. J. Mangena, G. J. de Korte, R. I. McCrindle, J. H. P. van Heerden, Effects of Coal Composition and Flotation Reagents on the Water Resistance of Binderless Briquettes, Coal Preparation, 2007, 27, 230-248.
- G. G. Stevenson, R. D. Perlack, The prospects for coal briquetting in the Third World, Energy Policy, 1989, 17, 215-227.
- D. Baiseitov, M. Tulepov, L. Sassykova, Sh. Gabdrashova, K. Kudaibergenov, Z. Mansurov, Physicomechanical properties of petrosorbents of the phytogenesis, Rev. Roum. Chim., 2017, 62, 249-253.
- D. Fatimah, L. M. Estiaty, Coal blending preparation for non-carbonized coal briquettes, Proceedings of the IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 2017, 118, conference 1, https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/118/1/012068.
- P. Caputo, G. A. Ranieri, N. Godbert, I. Aiello, A. Tagarelli, C. O. Rossi, Investigation of new additives to reduce the fume emission of bitumen during Asphalt Concrete Processing, Mediterranean Journal of Chemistry, 2018, 7, 259-266.
- G. K.Ngusale, Y. Luo, J. K. Kiplagat, Briquette making in Kenya: Nairobi and peri-urban areas, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2014, 40, 749-759.
- M. Meincken, S. Funk. Burning characteristics of low-cost safety charcoal briquettes made from wood residues and soil for domestic use, Agroforestry Systems, 2015, 89, 357–363.
- J. Shen, Reaction mechanism of co processing coal and heavy oils, Coal conversion, 1999, 22, 5-8.
- Zh. Tashmukhambetova, Y. Aubakirov, Zh. Shomanova, K. Burkhanbekov, R. Safarov, L. Sassykova, N. Zhakirova, M. Faizullaeva, The effects of pretreatment methods of carbon-containing wastes in thermal catalytic recycling, Oriental Journal of Chemistry, 2017, 33, 2884-2890. http://dx.doi.org/10.13005/ojc/330622.
- R. Yan, H. Zhu, Ch. Zheng, M. Xu, Emissions of organic hazardous air pollutants during Chinese coal combustion, Energy, 2002, 27, 485- 503. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0360-5442(02)00003-8.
- M. I. Tulepov, L. R. Sassykova, A. R. Kerimkulova, G. O. Tureshova, D. M. Tolep, A. O. Zhapekova, G. A.Spanova, F. Yu. Abdrakova, Z. A. Mansurov, Preparation of coal briquettes and determination of their physical and chemical properties, Orient J. Chem., 2018, 35, 180-185.
- D. A. Baiseitov, Sh. E. Gabdrashova, A. K. Akylbai, O. Dalelkhanuly, Zh. B. Kudyarova, L. R. Sassykova, M. I. Tulepov, Z. A. Mansurov, Obtaining of liquid fuel from coal in the presence of the polymers, Int. J. Chem. Sci., 2016, 14, 261-268.
- A. S. Maloletnev, O. A. Mazneva, K.I. Naumov, Mechanochemical activation of coal from the Erkovetskoe deposit and its reactivity in a liquefaction process, Solid Fuel Chemistry, 2015, 49, 372.
- G. J. de Korte, Processing low-grade coal to produce high-grade products, Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, 2015, 115, 569-572.
- G. Borowski, J. J. Hycnar, Utilization of Fine Coal Waste as a Fuel Briquettes, International Journal of Coal Preparation and Utilization, 2013, 33, 194-204.
- A. S. Maloletnev, A. M. Gyul’maliev, Structure of coal hydrogenation products obtained in the presence of oil and coal paste-forming agents, Solid Fuel Chemistry, 2013, 47, 231-233.
- V. Yu. Bazhin, V. B. Kuskov, Production of fuel briquettes from carbon-containing materials, Proceedings of the XVIII International Coal Preparation Congress, Saint-Petersburg, Russia, 2016, 701-705. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-40943-6_108.
- V. S. Yemelyanova, B. T. Dossumova, T. V. Shakiyeva, L. R. Sassykova, S. Sendilvelan, Modified aluminosilicate catalysts based on cenospheres of power plants for processing fuel oil into light fractions, International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development, 2019, 9, 1079-1086.
- S. Nomura, Coal briquette carbonization in a slot-type coke oven, Fuel, 2016, 185, 649-655. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2016.07.082.
- D. Taulbee, D. P. Patil, Rick Q. Honaker, B. K. Parekh, Briquetting of Coal Fines and Sawdust Part I: Binder and Briquetting-Parameters Evaluations, International Journal of Coal Preparation and Utilization, 2009, 29, 1-22.
- A. Demirbas, Sustainable Charcoal Production and Charcoal Briquetting, Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, 2009, 31, 1694-1699.
- G. Lu, Y. Yan, M. Colechin, R. Hill, Monitoring of oscillatory characteristics of pulverized coal flames through image processing and spectral analysis, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 2006, 55, 226 - 231.
- Q. Zhong, Y. Yang, T. Jiang, Q. Li, B. Xu, Xylene activation of coal tar pitch binding characteristics for the production of metallurgical quality briquettes from coke breeze, Fuel Processing Technology, 2016, 148, 12-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2016.02.026.
- S. E. Gabdrashova, N. M. Rakhova, I. O. Pustovalov, Zh. Elemesova, M. I. Tulepov, M. A. Korchagin, L. R. Sassykova, S. Sendilvelan, D. A. Baiseitov, Preparation of mechanically activated mixtures of Titanium with the carbon nanotubes and study of their properties under thermal explosion, Rasayan J. Chem., 2018, 11, 324-330.
- N. Skoczylas, B. Dutka, J. Sobczyk, Mechanical and gaseous properties of coal briquettes in terms of outburst risk, Fuel, 2014, 134, 45-52.
- M. J. Blesa, J. L. Miranda, M. T. Izquierdo, R. Moliner, Curing temperature effect on the mechanical strength of smokeless fuel briquettes prepared with molasses, Fuel, 2003, 82, 943-947.
- Y. A. Abakr, A. E. Abasaeed, Experimental evaluation of a conical screw briquetting machine for the briquetting of carbonized cotton stalks in Sudan, Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 2006, 1, 212- 220.
- M. J. Antal, M. Grønli, The art, science, and technology of charcoal production, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 2003, 42, 1619-1640.
- M. A. Somerville, The strength and density of green and reduced briquettes made with iron ore and charcoal, Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy, 2016, 2, 228–238.
- Binder for improving coal gangue and low-grade coal, Fuel and Energy Abstracts, 2002, 43, 10.
- T. S. Manina, N. I. Fedorova, S. A. Semenova, Z. R. Ismailov, Processing low-grade oxidized coal to produce effective carbon sorbents, Coke and Chemistry, 2012, 55, 115-118.
- V. Zubkova, A. Strojwas, M. Strojanowska, J. Kowalczyk, The influence of the composition of coal briquettes on changes in the volume of the heated coal charge, Fuel Processing Technology, 2014, 128, 265-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2014.07.022.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).