The fast and of low-cost-adsorbent to the removal of cationic and anionic dye using chicken eggshell with its membrane
AbstractThe use of the chicken eggshell with its membrane as low-cost adsorbent had been done to the removal of synthetic dyes in aqueous solution. Adsorption method in the batch system was done to adsorb Methylene Blue and Indigo Carmine as the cationic and anionic dyes. Some parameters were studied such as pH, contact time, initial concentration of dyes and mass of ES+M to find the optimum adsorption. The functional group of ES+M like hydroxyl, amine, carboxyl and thiol were used to binding the dyes. The characteristics of ES+M were determined by FTIR and XRF to analyzed functional group and elements composition before and after adsorption. The adsorption capacity optimum of ES+M to adsorb Methylene Blue was 11.54 mg/g with % RE 92.34% in 30 minutes, and Indigo Carmine was 8.04 mg/g with % RE 64.34% in 15 minutes.
- K. Sharma, A. Dalai, R. Vyas, Removal of synthetic dyes from multicomponent industrial wastewaters, Rev. Chem. Eng., 2017, 34,
- R. Zein, R. Suhaili, F. Earnestly, Indrawati, E. Munaf, Removal of Pb(II), Cd(II) and Co(II) from aqueous solution using Garcinia mangostana L. fruit shell, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2010, 181, 52–56.
- W. Wang, G. Huang, C. An, X. Xin, Y. Zhang, X. Liu, Transport behaviors of anionic azo dyes at interface between surfactant-modified flax shives and aqueous solution: Synchrotron infrared and adsorption studies, Applied Surface Science, 2017, 405, 119–128.
- E. Fosso-Kankeu, A. Webster, I. O. Ntwampe, F. B. Waanders, Coagulation/Flocculation Potential of Polyaluminium Chloride and Bentonite Clay Tested in the Removal of Methyl Red and Crystal Violet, Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, 2017, 42, 1389–1397.
- O. Gulnaz, A. Kaya, F. Matyar, B. Arikan, Sorption of basic dyes from aqueous solution by activated sludge, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2004, 108, 183–188.
- N. S. Maurya, A. K. Mittal, P. Cornel, E. Rother, Biosorption of dyes using dead macro fungi: Effect of dye structure, ionic strength and pH, Bioresource Technology, 2006, 97, 512–521
- Zilfa, Rahmayeni, Y. Stiadi, Adril, Utilization of natural zeolite clinoptilolite-Ca as support of ZnO catalyst for congo-red degradation and congo-red waste applications with photolysis, Orient. J. Chem., 2018, 34, 887–893.
- Rahmayeni, S. Arief, N. Jamarun, Emriadi, Y. Stiadi, Magnetically separable ZnO-MnFe2O4 nanocomposites synthesized in organic-free media for dye degradation under natural sunlight, Orient. J. Chem., 2017, 33, 2758–2765.
- W. Chen, W. Lu, Y. Yao, M. Xu, Highly efficient decomposition of organic dyes by aqueous-fiber phase transfer and in situ catalytic oxidation using fiber-supported cobalt phthalocyanine, Environmental Science and Technology, 2007, 41, 6240–6245.
- M. F. Abid, M. A. Zablouk, A. M. Abid-Alameer, Experimental study of dye removal from industrial wastewater by membrane technologies of reverse osmosis and nanofiltration, Iranian Journal of Environmental Health Science and Engineering, 2012, 9, 1-9.
- L. Hevira, R. Zein, P. Ramadhani, Review Metoda Adsorpsi pada penyerapan ion logam dan zat warna dalam limbah cair, Jurnal Sains dan Terapan Kimia, 2019, 13, 39–58.
- M. M. Higarashi, R. M. Mattei, Application of natural adsorbents to remove nutrients from swine facility effluent, Livestock Research for Rural Development, 2009, 21.
- S. Wongtangtintan, L. Neeratanaphan, P. Ruchuwararak, S. Suksangawong, U. Tengjaroenkul, P. Sukon, B. Tengjaroenkul, Comparative study of aflatoxin B1 adsorption by Thai bentonite and commercial toxin binders at different temperatures in vitro, Livestock Research for Rural Development, 2016, 28, 1–8.
- S. M. Al-Mahmoud, Adsorption of some aliphatic dicarboxylic acids on zinc oxide: A kinetic and Thermodynamic Study, Baghdad Science Journal, 2019, 16, 892–897.
- I. Lebkiri, B. Abbou, L. Kadiri, A. Ouass, Y. Essaadaoui, A. Habssaoui, E. H. Rifi, A. Lebkiri, Removal of methylene blue dye from aqueous solution using a superabsorbant hydrogel the polyacrylamide: Isotherms and kinetic studies, Mediterr.J.Chem., 2019, 9, 337–346.
- K. Pyrzynska, Removal of cadmium from wastewaters with low-cost adsorbents, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 2019, 7, 102795. doi:10.1016/j.jece.2018.11.040.
- H. I. Albroomi, M. A. Elsayed, A. Baraka, M. A. Abdelmaged, Batch and fixed-bed adsorption of tartrazine azo-dye onto activated carbon prepared from apricot stones, Applied Water Science, 2017, 7, 2063–2074.
- M. Shanker, T. Chinniagounder, Adsorption of Reactive Dye Using Low-Cost Adsorbent: Cocoa (Theobroma Cacao) Shell, World Journal of Applied Environmental Chemistry, 2017, 1, 22–29.
- W. S. Alencar, E. Acayanka, E. C. Lima, B. Royer, F. E. de Souza, J. Lameira, C. N. Alves, Application of Mangifera indica (mango) seeds as a biosorbent for removal of Victazol Orange 3R dye from aqueous solution and study of the biosorption mechanism, Chemical Engineering Journal, 2012, 209, 577–588.
- J. J. Salazar-Rabago, R. Leyva-Ramos, J. Rivera-Utrilla, R. Ocampo-Perez, F. J. Cerino-Cordova, Biosorption mechanism of Methylene Blue from aqueous solution onto White Pine (Pinus duranguense) sawdust: Effect of operating conditions, Sustainable Environment Research, 2017, 27, 32–40.
- M. Arami, N. Y. Limaee, N. M. Mahmoodi, N. S. Tabrizi, Removal of dyes from colored textile wastewater by orange peel adsorbent: Equilibrium and kinetic studies, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2005, 288, 371–376.
- C. Djelloul, O. Hamdaoui, Dynamic adsorption of methylene blue by melon peel in fixed-bed columns, Desalination and Water Treatment, 2015, 56, 2966–2975.
- S. Guiza, K. Ghiloufi, F. M. Bagane, S. O. Ibn-elkhattab, Utilization of waste Tunisian palm tree date as a low-cost adsorbent for the removal of dyes from textile wastewater, Mediterranean Journal of Chemistry, 2014, 3, 1044–1052.
- A. K. Nayak, A. Pal, Rapid and high-performance adsorptive removal of hazardous acridine orange from the aqueous environment using Abelmoschus esculentus seed powder: Single- and multi-parameter optimization studies, Journal of Environmental Management, 2018, 217, 573–591.
- J. O. Ighalo, A. G. Adeniyi, Adsorption of pollutants by plant bark derived adsorbents: An empirical review, Journal of Water Process Engineering, 2020, 35, 101228.
- S. S. Salih, T. K. Ghosh, Preparation and characterization of bioadsorbent beads for chromium and zinc ions adsorption, Cogent Environmental Science, 2017, 3, 1-14. doi:10.1080/23311843.2017.1401577.
- S. S. Salih, A. Mahdi, M. Kadhom, T. K. Ghosh, Competitive adsorption of As(III) and As(V) onto chitosan/diatomaceous earth adsorbent, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 2019, 7, 103407.
- S. S. Salih, T. K. Ghosh, Preparation and Characterization of Chitosan-Coated Diatomaceous Earth for Hexavalent Chromium Removal, Environmental Processes, 2018, 5, 23–39.
- F. S. Murakami, P. O. Rodrigues, C. M. T. De Campos, M. A. S. Silva, Physicochemical study of CaCO3 from eggshells, Ciencia e Tecnologia de Alimentos, 2007, 27, 658–662.
- N. Buksh, C. Yun, X. Ping, G. H. Jhatial, S. Yanhai, Chicken Eggshell as a Potential Eco-friendly, Low-cost Sorbent : A Mini-Review, Journal of Environment and Earth Science, 2018, 8, 28–39.
- H. Faridi, A. Arabhosseini, Application of eggshell wastes as valuable and utilizable products: A review, Research in Agricultural Engineering, 2018, 64, 104–114.
- R. Bhaumik, N. K. Mondal, B. Das, P. Roy, K. C. Pal, C. Das, A. Banerjee, J. K. Datta, Eggshell powder as an adsorbent for removal of fluoride from aqueous solution: Equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies, E-Journal of Chemistry, 2012, 9, 1457–1480.
- G. De Angelis, L. Medeghini, A. M. Conte, S. Mignardi, Recycling of eggshell waste into low-cost adsorbent for Ni removal from wastewater, Journal of Cleaner Production, 2017, 164, 1497-1506.
- O. A. Habeeb, F. Yasin, U. A. Danhassan, Characterization and application of chicken eggshell as green adsorbents for removal of H2S from wastewaters, Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology, 2014, 8, 7–12.
- D. D. Salman, W. S. Ulaiwi, N. M. Tariq, Determination the optimal conditions of Methylene blue adsorption by the chicken eggshell membrane, International Journal of Poultry Science, 2012, 11, 391–396.
- J. Carvalho, J. Araujo, F. Castro, Alternative low-cost adsorbent for water and wastewater decontamination derived from eggshell waste: An overview, Waste and Biomass Valorization, 2011, 2, 157–167.
- E. Steelyana, Batik, A Beautiful Cultural Heritage that Preserves Culture and Supporteconomic Development in Indonesia, Binus Business Review, 2012, 3, 116.
- N. Pramanpol, N. Nitayapat, Adsorption of reactive dye by eggshell and its membrane, Kasetsart Journal - Natural Science, 2006, 40, 192–197.
- L. Hevira, E. Munaf, R. Zein, The use of Terminalia catappa L . fruit shell as biosorbent for the removal of Pb ( II ), Cd ( II ) and Cu ( II ) ion in liquid waste, Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 2015, 7, 79–89.
- L. Hevira, R. Zein, E. Munaf, Efisiensi Penyerapan ION Logam Terhadap pH dan Waktu Kontak Menggunakan Cangkang Ketapang, Jurnal Katalisator, 2019, 4, 42–52.
- M. C. Somasekhara Reddy, L. Sivaramakrishna, A. Varada Reddy, The use of agricultural waste material, Jujuba seeds for the removal of anionic dye (Congo red) from aqueous medium, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2012, 203–204, 118–127.
- J. K. Fatombi, E. A. Idohou, S. A. Osseni, I. Agani, D. Neumeyer, M. Verelst, R. Mauricot, T. Aminou, Adsorption of Indigo Carmine from Aqueous Solution by Chitosan and Chitosan/Activated Carbon Composite: Kinetics, Isotherms and Thermodynamic Studies, Fibers and Polymers, 2019, 20, 1820–1832.
- N. Ngadi, C. C. Ee, N. A. Yuszff, Removal of Methylene Blue Dye by Using Eggshell Powder, Jurnal Teknologi (Sciences and Engineering), 2013, 65, 63–71.
- R. Kobiraj, N. Gupta, A. K. Kushwaha, M. C. Chattopadhyaya, Determination of equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic parameters for the adsorption of brilliant green dye from aqueous solutions onto eggshell powder, Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, 2012, 19, 26–31.
- A. L. Goodman, G. M. Underwood, V. H. Grassian, A laboratory study of the heterogeneous reaction of nitric acid on calcium carbonate particles, Journal of Geophysical Research, 2000, 105, 29053-29064.
- T. N. Ramesh, D. V. Kirana, A. Ashwini, T. R. Manasa, Calcium hydroxide as a low-cost adsorbent for the effective removal of indigo carmine dye in water, Journal of Saudi Chemical Society, 2017, 21, 165–171.
- M. T. Hincke, Y. Nys, J. Gautron, K. Mann, A. B. Rodriguez-Navarro, M. D. McKee, The eggshell: Structure, composition and mineralization, Frontiers in Bioscience, 2012, 17, 1266–1280.
- H. Daraei, A. Mittal, J. Mittal, H. Kamali, Optimization of Cr(VI) removal onto biosorbent eggshell membrane: Experimental & theoretical approaches, Desalination and Water Treatment, 2014, 52, 1307–1315.
- Y. Nakano, K. Takeshita, T. Tsutsumi, Adsorption mechanism of hexavalent chromium by redox within the condensed-tannin gel, Water Research, 2001, 35, 496–500.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).