Controlled Release of Benzocaine from Monomer and Copolymer Carriers in Synthetic Gastro-intestinal Media
AbstractNew dosage forms able to control drug release in the gastro-intestinal media have been prepared and investigated in this paper. Two different type of medicinal agent bonding (MA), in our case Benzocaine (Bz), were chosen in order to examine drug release.i) MA attached to ethylenic monomer (m,p-vinylbenzaldehyde), condensation reaction.ii) The copolymer carrier (Cp) is obtained by copolymerizing this monomer.These two carriers were well characterized by microanalysis, FTIR, DSC (Tg) and GPC (Ip) and the two fraction Î± and Î² were calculated from elemental analyses of Cp. The results showed good polydispersity and low average molecular weight. MA linked to an organic product by the azomethine function (C=N), hydrolytically sensitive, allowed controlled release of Bz, from the monomer carrier and from the bending Schiff bases groups. Theoretical and experimental analyses of controlled release of Bz kinetics from monomer and copolymer carriers were conducted for the case of contact with synthetic gastro-intestinal fluids at various pH (1,2; 6,0 and 8,0) at 37Â°C.The process was found to be controlled by the nature of media (heterogeneous), which involved the preliminary hydrolysis, and the drug (Bz) diffusing out of structure of copolymer (Cp) to the external aqueous media.The results obtained on the rate of delivery showed a clear difference between pH = 1,2 and pH = 6,0 and 8,0 based on:i) The cation of p-aminoniumbenzoic acid (PABAH+) release at pH = 1,2ii) Bz release at pH = 6,0 and 8,0
- K. Heilman, Therapeutic Systems-Rate-Controlled Drug Delivery, Concept and Development, Thieme Strallon, New York, 1984.
- J. Feijen, Controlled Drug Delivery Based on the Use of Synthetic Polymers, XIV Meeting of Frenel Polymer Group, Rown, Nov., 1984.
- B. Z. Weiner, A. Zilkha, J. Med. Chem., 1973, 16, 573.
- B. Z. Weiner, A. Zilkha, G. Porath and Y. Grunfeld, Eur. J. Med. Chem., 1976, 11, 525.
- B. Z. Weiner, A. Havron and A. Zilkha, Israel J. Chem., 1974, 12, 863.
- S. Zalipsky, C.Gilon, and A. Zilkha, European. Polym. J., 1983, 19, 1177.
- H. Merine, Z. Bengharez, L. Belarbi, A. Mesli , Journal de la SociÃ©tÃ© Chimique de Tunisie,2006, 8, 259.
- N.Chafi, A.Benghalem, A.Mesli, European polym. J., 2003, 1063.
- Z. Bengharez, H. Sehil, H. Merine, N. Chafi, Journal de la SociÃ©tÃ© Chimique de Tunisie,2011, 13, 107.
- H. Sehil, Z. Bengharez, Z. ElBahri, H. Merine, K. Guemra, Mediterr.J.Chem., 2011, 1(3), 125-134.
- K. Diaf, Z. ElBahri, Z. Bengharez, N. Chafi, A. Mesli, Mediterr.J.Chem., 2011, 1(4), 154-162.
- S. Davaran, J. Hanaee, A. Klosravi, J. of Controlled Release, 1999, 58, 279.
- A.A. Moulay, N. Chafi, L.Belarbi, Z. Bengharez, A.Mesli, J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 2013, 4(3), 474.
- S. Chirani, N. Chafi, A. Mesli, Int. J. Chem. Sci., 2013, 11(2), 689.
- I. Katime, R. Novoa, E. Diaz de Apodaca, E. MendizÃ bal, J. Puig, Polymer Testing, 1999, 18, 559.
- A. Bichara, J-P. MonthÃ©ard, J-L. Taverdet, Eur. polym. J.,1998, 34(9), 1283.
- I. Abdelmalek, A. Mesli, M. Bendahmane, N. Chafi, G. Simonneaux, J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 2014, 5(1), 49.
- M. A. Luciano Pinto, Leonardo Fernandes Fraceto Maria Helena A. Santana, Thelma A. Perthinhez, Sergio Oyama, Junior, Eneidade Paulaa, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 2005, 39, 956.
- P. Ferruti, Pharmac. Res. Commun., 1975, 7, 1.
- J. P. MonthÃ©ard, J. M. Vergnaud, M. Kolli, Polymer. Bull., 1990, 23, 331.
- S. Tehranchian, T. Akbarzadeh, M. R. Fezili, H. Jamalifar, Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 2005, 15, 23.
- K. C. Fylaktakdiou, D. J. Hajipavlon-Litina, K. E. Litinas, Curr, pharm. Des., 2004, 10,
- Y. Mederbel-Bouzaghti, A. Mesli, J. P. Montheard, J. Soc. Alger. Chem., 2006, 8, 259.
- M. Dehar, Y. Mederbel-Bouzaghti, F. Benachenhou, R. Kaid Slimane, G. Gosselin, Journal de la SociÃ©tÃ© Chimique de Tunisie, 2010, 12, 21.
- G. VÃ´lgyi, R. Ruiz, K. Box, J. Cover, E. Bosch, K. Tabacs- Novak, Analytica Chimica Acta, 2007, 583, p. 418.
- A. Albert and E.P. Serjeant â€œThe Determination of Ionization Constantsâ€, 2ed edition, 1971, p-82.
- J. Cranck, The Mathematics of Diffusion, Clarendon Press, Oxford 2nd. Ed., 1975, 85.
- Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, CRC Press, Florida, 60th Ed., 1980.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).