Relative cytotoxicity of complexes of platinum(II) and palladium(II) against pure cell culture Paramecium caudatum and human cell lines A431 and HaCaT
AbstractThe results of cytotoxicity cis-diamine mono- and binuclear complexes of platinum(II) and palladium(II) are presented. The cytotoxicity was investigated by the method of biotesting with Paramecium caudatum and by MTT-assay with human cells: epidermoid carcinoma A431 and minimal transformed aneuploid keratinocytes HaCaT. Cytotoxicity of complexes towards protists is higher than against human cells, however, comparatively, HaCaT is more sensitive than A431 by the treatment all complexes. It is noted that cytotoxicity of palladium(II) complexes is higher than the analogues with platinum(II).
- B. Rosenberg, L. Vancamp, T. Krigas, Inhibition of cell division in Escherichia Coli by electrolysis products from a platinum electrode, Nature, 1965, 205, 698-699.
- B. Rosenberg, Platinum complex-DNA interaction and anticancer activity, Biochimie, 1978, 60, 859-864.
- B. Lippert, C. J. L. Lock, B. Rosenberg, M. Zvagulis, Hydroxo-bridged platinum(II) complexes. Crystal structure and vibrational spectra of di-hydroxo-bis[diammineplatinum(II)] carbonate dihydrate, [(NH3)2Pt(OH)2Pt(NH3)2](CO3).2H2O, Inorg. Chem., 1978, 17(11), 2971 - 2975.
- B. Lippert, Cisplatin, chemistry and biochemistry of a leading anticancer drug. 2006, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim.
- N. J. Wheate, S. Walker, G. E. Craig, R. Oun, The status of platinum anticancer drugs in the clinic and in clinical trials, Dalton Trans., 2010, 39(35), 8113-8127.
- J. Reedijk, K. Poeppelmeier, Comprehensive Inorganic Chemistry II (Second Edition), Elsevier, 2013.
- D. Wang, S. J. Lippard, Cellular processing of platinum anticancer drugs, Nature Reviews, 2005, 4, 307-320.
- S. Dasari, P. B. Tchounwou, Cisplatin in cancer therapy: molecular mechanisms of action, Eur. J. of Pharm., 2014, 740, 364-378.
- M. A. Fuertes, J. Castilla, C. Alonso, J. M. Pérez, Cisplatin biochemical mechanism of action: from cytotoxicity to induction of cell death through interconnections between apoptotic and necrotic pathways, Curr. Med. Chem. 2003, 10(3), 257-266.
- N. P. Johnson, J.-L. Butour, G. Villani, V. Brabec, Metal antitumor compounds: the mechanism of action of platinum complexes in Book Ruthenium and other non-platinum metal complexes in cancer chemotherapy, Springer-Verlag, 1989, 1-24.
- A. Robertazzi, J. A. Platts, Hydrogen bonding, solvation and hydrolysis of cisplatin: a theoretical study. J. Comput. Chem., 2006, 25(8), 1060-1067.
- A. S. Abu-Surrah, M. Kettunen, Platinum group antitumor chemistry: design and development of new anticancer drugs complementary to cisplatin. Cur. Med. Chem., 2006, 13, 1337-1357.
- J. K.-C. Lau, D. V. Deubel, Hydrolysis of the anticancer drug cisplatin: pitfalls in the interpretation of quantum chemical calculations. J. Chem. Theor. Comput., 2006, 2, 103-106.
- L. Spiccia, Homopolynuclear and heteropolynuclear Rh(III) aqua ions a review. Inorganica Chimica Acta, 2004, 357, 2799-2817.
- N. S. Panina, A. N. Belyaev, S. A. Simanova, Platinum(II) diaquadiammine complexes. Stable hydrolysis products by DFT quantum-chemical calculations. Russ. J. of Gen. Chem., 2003, 73(12), 1835-1838.
- A. A. El-Sherif, Coordination Chemistry of Palladium(II) Ternary Complexes with Relevant Biomolecules in Book Stoichiometry and Research - The Importance of Quantity in Biomedicine. Edited by A. Innocenti, InTech, 2012, 388 p.
- C. Peklak-Scott, P. K. Smitherman, A. J. Townsend, C. S. Morrow, Role of glutathione S-transferase P1-1 in the cellular detoxification of cisplatin. Mol. Cancer. Ther., 2008, 7(10), 3247-3255.
- Z. H. Siddik, Cisplatin: mode of cytotoxic action and molecular basis of resistance, Oncogene, 2003, 22, 7265-7279.
- A. V. Eremin, D. D. Vaulina, M. A. Stepanova, V. G. Antonov, A. N. Belyaev, S. A. Simanova. Synthesis, crystalline and molecular structure of palladium(II) binuclear complex with cysteine, Russ. J. Gen. Chem., 2011, 81(2), 294-300.
- R. V. Suezov, A. V. Eremin, V. V. Gurzhii, N. L. Medvedskii, A. N. Belyaev, Synthesis and crystal structure of thiolate-bridged dinuclear platinum(II) complexes, Russ Journal Gen Chem. 2015, 85, 2793-2800.
- H. Sies, Glutathione and its role in cellular functions, Free Rad. Biol. & Med. 1999, 27 (9-10), 916-921.
- I. I. Chernyaev, Sintez Kopleksnikh Soedinenii Metallov platinovii gruppi (Synthesis of complex compounds of the platinum group metals), Nauka, Moskow, 1964.
- Yu. G. Breusova-Baidala, N. N. Zheligovskaya, V. I. Spitsyn, Translated from Izvestiya Academii Nauk USSR, Seriya Khimicheskaya, 1974, 6, 1239-1242.
- P. A. Koz'min, T. N. Fedorova, G. N. Kuznetsova, M. D. Surazhskaya, I. B. Baranovsky Russ. J. Gen. Chem., 1997, 42, 1834-1839.
- A. J. Canty, A. B. Michael, G. Gardiner, A. Roderick, C. Jones, M. Sharma, Structural chemistry of [MX2(bipy)] (M = Pd, Pt; X = Cl, Br, I): the yellow polymorph of dichlorido(2,2`-bipyridine)platinum(II) and diiodido(2,2`-bipyridine)palladium(II) and overview of this system, Aust. J. Chem., 2011, 64, 1355-1359.
- R. A. Adrian, R. E. Benson, L. M. Daniels, E. R. T. Tiekinka, J. A. Walmsleya, Di-hydroxo-bis[(2,2-bipyridine)palladium(II)] trifluoromethanesulfonate, ActaCryst., 2006, 62, 601-603.
- M. A. Stepanova, D. D. Vaulina, A. V. Eremin, A. N. Belyaev, Synthesis, crystal and molecular structures of palladium(II) and 2-aminoethanethiol complex. Bulletin of Saint-Petersburg State institute of Technology, 2012, 13(39), 7-8.
- T. Mosmann, Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays, J. Immunol. Methods, 1983, 65, 55-63.
- J. V. Rao, V. G. Gunda, K. Srikanth & S. K. Arepalli, Acute toxicity bioassay using Paramecium caudatum, a key member to study the effects of monocrotophos on swimming behaviour, morphology and reproduction, Toxicological & Environmental Chemistry, 2006, 89(2), 307-317.
- J. V. Rao, K. Srikanth, S. K. Arepalli, V. G. Gunda, Toxic effects of acephate on Paramecium caudatum with special emphasis on morphology, behaviour, and generation time, Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, 2006, 86, 131-137.
- G. Filomeni, G. Rotilio, M. R. Ciriolo, Cell signalling and the glutathione redox system, Biochem. Pharm. 2002, 64, 1057-1064.
- F. Basolo, R. G. Pearson, Mechanisms of Inorganic Reactions, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1958.
- K. A. Mitchell, C. M. Jensen, Synthesis, characterization and reactivity of platinum cysteinato and related thiolato complexes: molecular structure of Pt2(N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine-S)2(bpy)2, Inorg. Chem., 1995, 34, 4441-4446.
- S. Kemp, N. J. Wheate, M. J. Pisani, J. R. Aldrich-Wright, Degradation of bidentate-coordinated platinum(II)-based DNA intercalators by reduced L-glutathione, J. Med. Chem., 2008, 51, 2787-2794.
- C. A. McQueen, Comprehensive toxicology, Third edition, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2017.
- M. Antunovic, B. Kriznik, E. Ulukaya, V. T. Yilmaz, K. C. Mihalic, J. Madunic, I. Marijanovic, Cytotoxic activity of novel palladium-based compounds on leukemia cell lines, Anticancer drugs, 2015, 26, 180-186.
- G. F. Nordberg, B. A. Fowler, M. Nordberg, Handbook on the Toxicology of Metals, Fourth Edition, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2015.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).