Study of the Fe(II-III) hydroxysalts transformation according to the pH and the concentration of the ions present
AbstractSulphated green rust, GR (SO4 2- ), is one of the main corrosion products of carbon steel in marine environments. It is Fe (II)-Fe(III) hydroxylsalt in sheets, consisting of alternating layers of iron-hydroxide type Fe(OH)2 , loaded positively due to the presence of the cations Fe(III) and negative interlayers consisting of anions and water molecules. This compound is strongly associated with the metabolism of sulphate-reducing bacteria, and can also evolve under cathodic protection. Thus, recently, GR (CO3 2- ) has been detected in place of GR (SO4 2- ) on already corroded ordinary steel, newly subjected to cathodic protection. This presence is due to the pH and[SO4 2−] [HCO3 − ⁄ ] conditions imposed by the cathodic protection. In this paper, we chemically synthesize sulfated and carbonate green rust in a chlorinated medium; we then study their respective transformation according to the concentration [SO4 2- ] / [HCO3 - ] ratio and pH. Our results show that from a GR (SO4 2- ), GR (CO3 2- ) is formed from a pH ≥8.2 for [SO4 2- ] / [HCO3 - ] = 12 and without any change in pH for [SO4 2- ] / [HCO3 - ] <12. Whereas from GR (CO3 2- ), GR (SO4 2- ) is formed for [SO4 2- ] / [HCO3 - ] > 1 without any change in pH.
- L. Simon, M. François, P. Refait, G. Renaudin, M. Lelaurin, J.M.R. Génin, Structure of the Fe(II-III) Layered double hydroxysulphate
green rust two from Rietveld analysis, Solid Stat. Sci, 2003, 5, 327–334.
- S. Pineau, L. Quillet, M. Jannin, Ch. Caplat, I. Dupont-Morral, Ph. Refait, Formation of the Fe(II–III) hydroxysulphate green rust during
marine corrosion of steel associated to molecular detection of dissimilatory sulphitereductase, Corros. Sci., 2008, 50, 1099–1111.
- Ph. Refait, M. Abdelmoula, J.M.R. Génin, Mechanisms of formation and structure of green rust one in aqueous corrosion of iron in
the presence of chloride ions, Corros. Sci., 1998, 40,1547–1560.
- B.C. Christiansen, T. Balic-Zunic, P.O. Petit, C. Frandsen, S. Mørup, H. Geckeis, A. Katerinopoulou, S.L. Svane Stipp, Composition
and structure of an Iron bearing, Layered Double Hydroxide (LDH) – Green Rust Sodium Sulphate, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 2009, 73, 3579–3592.
- S. J. Mills, A.G. Christy, J.M.R. Genin, T. Kameda and F. Colombo, Nomenclature of the hydrotalcite supergroup: natural layered double hydroxides, Mineralogical Magazine, 2012, 76, 1289-1336.
- Ph. Refait, J.B. Memet, C. Bon, R. Sabot, J.M.R. Génin, Formation of the Fe(II)–Fe(III), Hydroxysulphate green rust during marine
corrosion of steel, Corros.Sci., 2003, 45, 833–845.
- Ph. Refait, S.H. Drissi, J. Pytkiewicz, J.M.R. Génin, The anionic species competition in aqueous iron corrosion: Role of various green
rust compounds, Corros. Sci., 1997, 39, 1699–1710.
- Ph. Refait, D.D. Nguyen, M. Jeannin, S. Sable, M. Langumier, R. Sabot, Electrochemical Formation of Green Rusts in Deaerated Seawater-Like Solutions, Electrochimica Acta, 2011,56, 6481-6488.
- Ph. Refait, A.M. Grolleau, M. Jeannin, E. François, R. Sabot, Corrosion of Mild Steel at The seawater/sediments interface: mechanisms and kinetics, Corros. Sci., 2018, 130, 76-84.
- R.E. Melchers, T. Wells, Models for The Anaerobic Phases of Marine Immersion Corrosion.
- Corros. Sci., 2006, 48, 1791-1811.
- M. Langumier, R. Sabot, R. Obame-Ndong, M. Jeannin, S. Sablé, Ph. Refait, Formation of Fe(III)-containing mackinawite from hydroxysulphate green rust by sulphate reducing bacteria, Corros. Sci., 2009, 51, 2694-2702.
- Y.-S. Kim, S.K. Lee, H.J. Chung, J.G. Kim, Influence of a simulated deep sea condition on the cathodic protection and electric field of an underwater vehicle, Ocean Engineering, 2018, 148, 223-233.
- Ph. Refait, M. Jeannin, R. Sabot, H. Antony, S. Pineau, Corrosion and cathodic protection of carbon steel in the tidal zone: products, mechanisms and kinetics, Corros. Sci., 2015, 90, 375-382.
- D. Nguyen Dang, L. Lanarde, M. Jeannin, R. Sabot, Ph. Refait, Influence of soil moisture on the residual corrosion rates of buried carbon steel structures under cathodic protection, Electrochimica Acta, 2015, 176, 1410-1419.
- Ph. Refait, M. Jeannin, R. Sabot, H. Antony, S. Pineau, Electrochemical formation and transformation of corrosion products on carbon steel under cathodic protection in seawater, Corros. Sci., 2013,71, 32-36.
- L. Legrand, G. Sagon, S. Lecomte, A. Chausse, A Raman and Infrared Study of a new carbonate green rust obtained by the electrochemical way, Corros. Sci., 2001, 43, 1739-1749.
- A.A. Olowe, J.M.R. Génin, The mechanism of oxidation of ferrous hydroxide in sulphated aqueous media: Importance of the initial ratio of the reactants, Corros. Sci., 1991, 32, 965-984.
- J.M.R. Génin, A.A. Olowe, P. Refait, L. Simon, On the stoichiometry and pourbaix diagram of Fe(II)-Fe(III) hydroxy-sulphate or sulphate containing green rust 2: An electrochemical and Mossbauer spectroscopy study, Corros. Sci., 1996, 38, 1751-1762.
- S.H. Drissi, Ph. Refait, M. Abdelmoula and J.M.R. Génin, The preparation and thermodynamic properties of Fe(II)-Fe(III) hydroxide-carbonate (Green Rust 1): Pourbaix diagram of iron in carbonate-containing aqueous media, Corros. Sci., 1995, 37, 2025-2041.
- S. Miyata. Anion-Exchange Properties of Hydrotalcite-Like Compounds, Clays Clay Miner., 1983, 31, 305-311.
- L. Legrand, L. Mazerolles, A. Chaussé, The Oxidation of Carbonate Green Rust into Ferric Phases: Solid-State Reaction or Transformation Via Solution, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 2004, 68, 3497-3507.
- R. Guilbaud, M. L. White, S.W. Poulton, Surface charge and growth of sulphate and carbonate green rust in aqueous media, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 2013, 108, 141-153.
- Ph. Refait, J.A. Bourdoiseau, M. Jeannin, D.D. Nguyen, A. Romaine, R. Sabot, Electrochemical formation of carbonated corrosion products on carbon steel in deaerated solutions, Electrochimica Acta, 2012, 79, 210-217.
- W. Yin, L. Huang, E.B. Pedersen, C. Frandsen, H.C.B. Hansen, Glycine buffered synthesis of layered Iron(II)-Iron(III) Hydroxides (Green Rusts), Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2017,497, 429-438
- F. Termemil, M.R. Benloucif, A. Benmoussa, R. Chater, 7th African Conference on non-destructive Testing ACNDT 2016 and The 5th International Conference on Welding, Non-Destructive Testing Materials and Alloys Industry (IC-WNDT-MI'16), Oran, Algeria 2016 November 26-8.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).