A short review of CdTe and CdSe films: growth and characterization
AbstractCadmium based thin films including CdTe and CdSe show great potential for the use in the field of solar cells, optoelectronic and biomedical applications. This work gives a brief review of the preparation of CdSe, and CdTe films by using various deposition techniques. The chemical bath deposition method was used to deposit CdSe films using three precursors such as cadmium nitrate, cadmium sulfate and cadmium acetate are reported. Also, this article reviews on the experimental advances in electrodeposited of CdSe and screen printed cadmium telluride thin films. Various characterization techniques namely, X-ray diffraction (XRD), energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDAX), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), UV-Visible spectrophotometer (UV-Vis) were used in the present research work have been discussed.
- M.N. Zaher, H.Y. Mehmet, A.B. Asuman, Structural and optical properties of CdTe thin films: a detailed investigation using optical absorption, XRD and Raman Spectroscopies, Physica Status Solidi b, 2010, 253, 1104-1114.
- B. Alperson, H. Demange, I. Rubinstein, G. Hodes, Photoelectrochemical charge transfer
properties of electrodeposited CdSe quantum dots, The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 1999, 103, 4943-4948.
- N.A. Kelly, T.L. Gibson, Solar energy concentrating reactors for hydrogen production by photoelectrochemical water splitting, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2008, 33, 6420-6431.
- S. Bera, S.B. Singh, S.K. Ray, Green route synthesis of high-quality CdSe quantum dots for applications in light emitting devices, Journal of Solid State Chemistry, 2012, 189, 75-79.
- P.A. Chate, P.P. Hankare, D.J. Sathe, Characterization of cadmium selenide films for photovoltaic applications, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2010, 505, 140-143.
- L. Gouda, R.A. Yelameli, S.K. Ramasesha, Correlation between the solution chemistry to observed properties of CdTe thin films prepared by CBD method, Journal of Modern Physics, 2012, 3, 1870-1877.
- S. Weng, M. Cocivera, Preparation and properties of cadmium telluride prepared by a three-step process, Chemistry of Materials, 1993, 5, 1577-1580.
- T. Suntola T, CdTe thin-film solar cells, MRS Bulletin, 1993, 18, 45-47.
- S. Chander, M.S. Dhaka, Preparation and physical characterization of CdTe thin films deposited by vacuum evaporation for photovoltaic applications, Advanced Materials Letters, 2015, 6, 907-912.
- P. Pratik, G.K. Solanki, K.D. Patel, V.M. Pathak, C.K. Sumesh, Crystal growth, characterization and photo detection properties of 2H-V0.75W0.25Se2 ternary alloy with 1T-VSe2 secondary phase, Materials Research Express, 2017, 4, https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/aa9211.
- K.Z. Chetan, P. Pratik, G.K. Solanki, K.D. Patel, V.M. Pathak, Tuning of photo detection properties of V0.5Sn0.5Se2 ternary alloy, Materials Research Express, 2018, 8, https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/aac4ee.
- C.U. Vyas, P. Pratik, C.K. Zankat, V.M. Pathak, K.D. Patel, G.K. Solanki, Transient photo response properties of CdTe thin films synthesized by screen printing technique, Materials Science in Semiconductor Processing, 2017, 71, 226-231.
- J.D. Major, R.E. Treharne, L.J. Phillips, K. Durose, A low-cost nontoxic post-growth activation step for CdTe solar cells, Nature, 2014, 511, 334-337.
- J. Aranda, J.L. Morenza, J. Esteve, J.M. Codina, Optical properties of vacuum evaporated CdTe thin films, Thin Solid Films, 1984, 120, 23-30.
- K.S. Rahman, F. Haque, M.A. Islam, Z.A. Alothman, N. Amin, Effect of growth techniques on the properties of CdTe thin films for photovoltaic application, 2013 IEEE Student Conference on Research and Development, DOI: 10.1109/SCOReD.2013.7002585.
- S. Chander, M.S. Dhaka, Thermal evolution of physical properties of vacuum evaporated polycrystalline CdTe thin films for solar cells, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 2016, 27, 11961-11973.
- K. Rupali, R. Sachin, P. Amit, W. Ravindra, J. Ashok, J. Vijaya, B. Ajinkya, D. Abhijit, P. Habib, J. Sandesh, Structural and optical properties of CdTe thin films deposited using RF magnetron sputtering, Energy Procedia, 2017, 110, 188-195.
- S. Deivanayaki, P. Jayamurugan, R. Mariappan, P. Ponnuswamy, Optical and structural characterization of CdTe thin films by chemical bath deposition technique, Chalcogenide Letters, 2010, 7, 159-163.
- K. Vipin, J.K. Gaur, M.K. Sharma, T.P. Sharma, Electrical properties of cadmium telluride screen-printed films for photovoltaic applications, Chalcogenide Letters, 2008, 5, 171-176.
- C.U. Vyas, P. Pratik, K.Z. Chetan, B.P. Alkesh, V.M. Pathak, K.D. Patel, G. Solanki, Photo sensitive space charge limited current in screen printed CdTe thin films, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2018, 1961: https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5035226.
- K. Vipin, M.K. Sharma, J. Gaur, T.P. Sharma, Polycrystalline ZnS thin films by screen printing method and its characterization, Chalcogenide Letters, 2008, 5, 289-295.
- V. Kumar, D.K. Sharma, M.K. Bansal, D.K. Dwivedi, T.P. Sharma, Synthesis and characterization of screen printed CdS films, Science of Sintering, 2011, 43, 335-341.
- M.A. Martinez, C. Guillen, J. Herrero, Cadmium sulphide growth investigations on different SnO2 substrates, Applied Surface Science, 1999, 140, 182-189.
- K.M. Kuchkarov, T.M. Razykov, F. Chris, B.A. Ergashev, R.T. Yuldoshov, M.A. Zufarov, Research of the morphological and structural properties of CdTe films obtained by chemical molecular beam deposition for thin film solar cells, Applied Solar Energy, 2015, 51, 314-318.
- K. Vipin, D.K. Dwivedi, Study on structural, optical and electrical properties of CdS0.5Se0.5 thin films for photovoltaic applications, Optik-International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, 2013, 124, 2345-2348.
- K. Vipin, A. Sonalika, D.K. Sharma, K.S. Kapil, D.K. Dwivedi, M.K. Bansal, Influence of sintering temperature on optical, structural and electrical properties of screen-printed CdZnS films, Applied Science Letters, 2015, 1: 86-89.
- W.D. Kingery, Densification during Sintering in the Presence of a Liquid Phase. I. Theory, Journal of Applied Physics, 1959, 30, 301-306.
- T.S. Shyju, S. Anandhi, R. Indirajith, R. Gopalakrishnan, Solvothermal synthesis, deposition and characterization of cadmium
selenide (CdSe) thin films by thermal evaporation technique, Journal of Crystal Growth, 2011, 337, 38-45.
- M. Dhanam, R.R. Prabhu, P.K. Manoj, Investigations on chemical bath deposited cadmium selenide thin films, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2008, 107, 289-296.
- A.A. Yadav, M.A. Barote, E.U. Masumdar, Studies on cadmium selenide (CdSe) thin films deposited by spray pyrolysis, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2010, 121, 53-57.
- J. Kois, J. Gurevits, S. Bereznev, O. Volobujeva, A.O.E. Mellikov, CdSe nanofiber and nanohorn structures on ITO substrates fabricated by electrochemical deposition, Applied Surface Science, 2013, 283, 982- 985.
- L. Escoubas, J.J. Simon, J.L. Rouzo and V. Bermudez, In Innovative approaches in thin film photovoltaic cells: Optical Thin Films and Coatings; 1st ed. by A. Piegari and F. Flory; Woodhead Publishing: Cambridge, 2013, pp. 596-630.
- U. Erb, G. Palumbo and J.L. McCrea, In The processing of bulk nanocrystalline metals and alloys by electrodeposition: Nanostructured Metals and Alloys; 1st ed. by S.H. Whang; Woodhead Publishing: Cambrige, 2011, pp. 118-151.
- G.G. Fuentes, In Surface Engineering and Micro-manufacturing: In Micro Manufacturing Engineering and Technology; 2nd ed. by Y. Qin; William Andrew: Norwich, 2015, pp. 459-486.
- D.S. Jayakrishnan, In Electrodeposition-the versatile technique for nanomaterials: Corrosion protection and control using nanomaterials; 1st ed. by S.S. Viswanathan, R. Cook; Woodhead Publishing: Cambridge, 2012, pp. 86-125.
- J. Gubicza, In Processing methods for nanomaterials: Defect structure in nanomaterials; 1st ed. by J. Gubicza; Woodhead Publishing: Cambridge, 2012, pp. 1-39.
- P. Sahoo, S.K. Das and J.P. Davim, In Surface Finish Coatings: Reference Module in Materials Science and Materials Engineering; 1st ed. by S. Hashmi; Elsevier: New York, 2017, pp. 38-55.
- R.B. Kale, C.D. Lokhande, Band gap shift, structural characterization and phase transformation of CdSe thin films from nanocrystalline cubic to nanorod hexagonal on-air annealing, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 2005, 20, 1-9.
- A.K. Zak, W.H.A. Majid, M.E. Abrishami, R. Yousefi, X-ray analysis of ZnO nanoparticles by Williamson-Hall and size strain plot methods, Solid State Sciences, 2011, 13, 251-256.
- Y.G. Gudage, R. Sharma, Growth kinetics and photoelectrochemical (PEC) performance of cadmium selenide thin films: pH and substrate effect, Current Applied Physics, 2010, 10, 1062-1070.
- M. Oztas, M. Bedir, Thickness dependence of structural, electrical and optical properties of sprayed ZnO:Cu films, Thin Solid Films, 2008, 516, 1703-1709.
- T.S. Shyju, S. Anandhi, R. Indirajith, R. Gopalakrishnan, Effects of annealing on cadmium selenide nano crystalline thin films prepared by chemical bath deposition, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2010, 506, 892-897.
- T. Dhandayuthapani, M. Girish, R. Sivakumar, C. Sanjeeviraja, R. Gopalakrishnan, Tuning the morphology of metastable MnS films by simple chemical bath deposition technique, Applied Surface Science, 2015, 353, 449-458.
- K. Anuar, S.M. Ho, W.T. Tan, M.S. Atan, K.A. Dzulkefly, M.H. Jelas, N. Saravanan, Preparation and characterization of chemically deposited Cu4SnS4 thin films, Journal of Ultra Chemistry, 2009, 5, 21-26.
- N. Saravanan, S.M. Ho, K. Anuar, Composition, morphology and optical characterization of chemical bath deposited ZnSe thin films, European Journal of Applied Sciences, 2011, 3, 75-80.
- S. Nagalingam, S.M. Ho, K. Anuar, W.T. Tan, Influence of pH on the properties of chemical bath deposited Ni4S3 thin films, Bangladesh Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 2011, 46, 243-246.
- S.M. Ho, Scanning electron microscopy study of surface morphology of Ni3Pb2S2 thin films, Asian Journal of Chemistry, 2015, 27, 3851-3853.
- S.M. Ho, K. Anuar, W.T. Tan, D.K. Abdullah, M.S. Atan, N. Saravanan, Preparation and characterization of iron sulphide thin films by chemical bath deposition method, Indonesian Journal of Chemistry, 2010, 10, 8-11.
- M. Shanthi, S.M. Ho, K. Anuar, N. Saravanan, Synthesis of PbSe thin film by chemical bath deposition and its characterization using XRD, SEM and UV-Vis spectrophotometer, Makara Sains, 2010, 14, 117-120.
- M. Safonova, E. Mellikov, V. Mikli, K. Kerm, N. Revathi, O. Volobujeva, Chemical bath deposition of SnS thin films from the solutions with different concentrations of tin and sulphur, Advanced Materials Research, 2015, 1117, 183-186.
- A. Kassim, S.M. Ho, W.T. Tan, S. Atan, Chemical bath deposition of ZnSe thin films: SEM and XRD characterization, European Journal of Applied Sciences, 2011, 3, 113-116.
- G. Maxim, S. Marushka, P. Georgi, V. Petko, D. Dimiter, K. Lilia, L. Daniela, G. Ilya, Structural characterization of chemically bath deposited SnS thin films, Comptes Rendus de l'Acade'mie Bulgare des Sciences, 2017, 70, 357-362.
- L. Yeh, K. Cheng, Preparation of chemical bath synthesized ternary Ag-Sn-S thin films as the photoelectrodes in photoelectrochemical cell, Journal of Power Sources, 2015, 275, 750-759.
- V.M. Sachin, N.B. Chaure, Synthesis and characterization of ZnS thin films deposited by
CBD and UCBD techniques, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2013, 1512, doi: 10.1063/1.4791074.
- F. Lisco, P.M. Kaminski, A. Abbas, K. Bass, J.W. Bowers, G. Claudio, J.M. Walls, M. Losurdo, The structural properties of CdS deposited by chemical bath deposition and pulsed direct current magnetron sputtering, Thin Solid Films, 2015, 582, 323-327.
- K. Taneja, M. Venkata, K. Manoj, R. Seelaboyina, K.K. Anup, M. Sarang, Substrate rotation chemical bath deposition of cadmium sulfide buffer layers for thin film solar cell application, Conference Papers in Energy, 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/483628.
- K.S Lim, S.M. Ho, K. Anuar, N. Saravanan, Surface morphology of CuS thin films observed by atomic force microscopy, Sultan Qaboos University Journal for Science, 2011, 16, 24-33.
- W.T. Tan, S.M. Ho, K. Anuar, N. Saravanan, Influence of pH on the morphology properties of ZnSe thin films studied by atomic force microscopy, European Journal of Scientific Research, 2011, 66, 592-599.
- I. Carreon, R. Bon, M.I. Canul, L.A. Gonzalez, Cd1-xZnxS thin films with low Zn content obtained by an ammonia free chemical bath deposition process, Thin Solid Films, 2013, 548, 270-274.
- M. Shanthi, S.M. Ho, K. Anuar, N. Saravanan, W.T. Tan, Effect of bath temperature on the chemical bath deposition of PbSe thin films, Kathmandu University Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology, 2010, 6, 1260-132.
- U. Chalapathi, S. Park, C. Ahn, B. Poornaprakash, Rapid growth of Sb2S3 thin films by chemical bath deposition with ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid additive, Applied Surface Science, 2018, 451, 272-279.
- L. Zhou, Y. Li, Y. Dong, Preparation and characterization of Cd1-xZnxS thin films with chemical bath deposition, Advanced Materials Research, 2015, 1088, 86-90.
- R.J. Soukup, P. Prabukanthan, N.J. Ianno, S. Kment, A. Sarkar, C.A. Kamler, C.L. Exstrom, Chemical bath deposition (CBD) of iron sulfide thin films for photovoltaic applications crystallographic and optical properties, 2010 35th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, DOI: 10.1109/PVSC.2010.5614465.
- B.A. Ezekoye, P.O. Offor, V.A. Ezekoye, F.I. Ezema, Chemical bath deposition technique of thin films: a review, International Journal of Scientific Research, 2013, 2, 452-456.
- H.M. Gubur, F. Septekin, A. Soner, B. Sahan, K.Z. Birsen, Structural properties of CdSe corn-like nanowires grown by chemical bath deposition, Journal of Material Science: Materials in Electronics, 2016, 27, 7640-7645.
- I.A. Kariper, O. Baglayan, F. Gode, Fabrication and optical characterization of CdsE thin films grown by chemical bath deposition, Acta Physica Polonica A, 2015, 128, DOI: 10.12693/APhysPolA.128.B-219.
- I.A. Kariper, Optical and structural properties of CdSe thin film produced by chemical bath deposition, Journal of Non-oxide Glasses, 2016, 8, 1-9.
- G. Bakiyaraj, R. Dhanasekaran, Effect of annealing on the properties of chemical bath deposited nanorods of CdSe thin films, Crystal Research & Technology, 2012, 47, 960-966.
- Z. Ahed, N.A. Nour, C. Guy, D. Park, H. Kwon, T.W. Kim, H. Choi, M.H.S. Helal, H.S. Hilal, Enhanced PEC characteristics for CdSe polycrystalline film electrodes prepared by combined electrochemical/chemical bath depositions, Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, 2016, 774, 7-13.
- G.H. Fekadu, F.K. Ampong, T. Abza, N. Isaac, K.N. Robert, F. Boakye, Synthesis and characterization of CdSe nanocrystalline thin film by chemical bath deposition technique, International Journal of Thin Films Science and Technology, 2015, 4, 69-74.
- E. Hilda, H. Jorge, A.R. Rojas, J.G. Hernandez, Growth technology, X-ray and optical properties of CdSe thin films, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2009, 113, 824-828.
- E. Hatam, N. Ghobadi, Effect of deposition temperature on structural, optical properties and configuration of CdSe nanocrystalline thin films deposited by chemical bath deposition, Materials Science in Semiconductor Processing, 2016, 43, 177-181.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).