Physico-chemical characterization of hybridized graphene and boron-nitride layers
AbstractNew materials can be created by modifying matter. In this work, we characterize graphene and boronnitride (BN) layers after doping them with BN and carbon dimers, respectively, in different amounts and with different spatial distributions. We provide the energetic description, electron density features, molecular electrostatic potential maps, net charge populations, and the speeds of propagating waves on the hybridized layers. We show the possibility of designing molecular electrostatic potentials from a spatially controlled doping. A strategy is illustrated on a BN hybrid layer with the adsorption of DNA nucleic acid bases.
- H. O. Pierson, Boron Nitride Composites by Chemical Vapor Deposition, J. Compos. Matter, 1975, 9, 228-240.
- R. Haubner, M. Wilhelm, R. Weissenbacher, B. Lux, Boron Nitrides-Properties, Synthesis and Applications, High Performance Non-Oxide Ceramics II, 2002, 102, 1-45.
- N. R. Glavin, C. Muratore, M. L. Jespersen, J. Hu, P. T. Hagerty, A. M. Hilton, A. T. Blake, C. A. Grabowski, M. F. Durstock, M. E. McConney, D. M. Hilgefort, T. S. Fisher, A. A. Voevodin, Amorphous Boron Nitride: A Universal, Ultrathin Dielectric for 2D Nanoelectronics, Adv. Funct. Mater., 2016, 26, 2640-2647.
- L. Liu, Y. P Feng., Z. X Shen, Structural and Electronic Properties of h-BN, Phys. Rev. B, 2003, 68, 104102-8.
- A. H. Castro Neto, F. Guinea, N. M. R. Peres, K. S. Novoselov, A. K. Geim, The Electronic Properties of Graphene, Rev. Mod. Physics, 2009, 81, 109-162.
- J. C. Pacilé, Ç. Ö Meyer, A Girit, Zettl, The Two-dimensional Phase of Boron Nitride: Few-atomic-layer Sheets and Suspended Membranes, Appl. Phys. Lett., 2008, 92, 133107-3.
- Z. Zheng, M. Cox, B. Li, Surface Modification of Hexagonal Boron Nitride Nanomaterials: a Review, J. Mater. Sci., 2018, 53, 66-99.
- M.F. Khan Shahil, A. Alexander Balandin, Thermal Properties of Graphene and Multilayer Graphene: Applications in Thermal Interface Materials, Solid State Comm., 2012, 152, 1331-1340.
- Pop, Eric and Varshney, Vikas and Roy, Ajit K., Thermal Properties of Graphene: Fundamentals and Applications, MRS Bulletin, 2012, 37, 1273-1281.
- D. G. Papageorgiou, I. A. Kinloch, R. J. Young, Mechanical Properties of Graphene and Graphene-based Nanocomposites, Prog. Mater. Sci., 2017, 90, 75-127, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmatsci.2017.07.004.
- C. Lee, X. Wei, J. W. Kysar, J. Hone, Measurement of the Elastic Properties and Intrinsic Strength of Monolayer Graphene, Science, 2008, 321, 385-388.
- S. P. Koenig, N. G. Boddeti, M. L. Dunn, J. S. Bunch, Ultrastrong Adhesion of Graphene Membranes, Nat. Nanotechnol., 2011, 6, 543-546.
- Y. Wu, D. B. Farmer, F. Xia, P. Avouris, Graphene Electronics: Materials, Devices, and Circuits, Proc. IEEE, 2013, 101, 1620-1637, https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2013.2260311.
- R. Raccichini, A. Varzi, S. Passerini and B. Scrosati, The Role of Graphene for Electrochemical Energy Storage, Nature Mater., 2015, 14, 271-279.
- Y. Yang, A. M. Asiri, Z. Tang, D. Du, Y. Lin, Graphene Based Materials for Biomedical Applications, Mater. Today, 2013, 16, 365-373.
- A. V. Eletskii, I. M. Iskandarova, A. A. Knizhnik, D. N. Krasikov, Graphene: Fabrication Methods and Thermophysical Properties, Phys.-Usp., 2011, 54, 227-258.
- P. R. Somani, S. P. Somani, M. Umeno, Planer Nano-graphenes from Camphor by CVD, Chem. Phys Lett., 2006, 430, 56-59.
- S. Gayathri, P. Jayabal, M. Kottaisamy, V. Ramakrishnan, Synthesis of Few Layer Graphene by Direct Exfoliation of Graphite and a Raman spectroscopic study, AIP Advances, 2014, 4, 027116-12, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4866595.
- (a) A. Kaniyoor, T. T. Baby, S. Ramaprabhu, Graphene Synthesis via Hydrogen Induced Low Temperature Exfoliation of Graphite Oxide, J. Mater. Chem., 2010, 20, 8467-8469.
(b) K. S. Novoselov, A. K. Geim, S. V. Morozov, D. Jiang, Y. Zhang, S. V. Dubonos, I. V. Grigorieva, A. A. Firsov, Electric Feld Effect in Atomically Thin Carbon Flms, Science, 2004, 306, 666-669.
- L. H. Li, J. Cervenka, K. Watanabe, T. Taniguchi, Strong Oxidation Resistance of Atomically Thin Boron Nitride Nanosheets, ACS Nano, 2014, 8, 1457-1462, https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/nn500059s
- Shao-Gang Xu, Xiao-Tian Li, Yu-Jun Zhao, Ji-Hai Liao, Wang-Ping Xu, Xiao-Bao Yang, Hu Xu, Two-Dimensional Semiconducting Boron Monolayers, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2017, 139, 17233-17236.
- Aleksey Falin, Qiran Cai, Elton J. G. Santos, Declan Scullion, Dong Qian, Rui Zhang, Zhi Yang, Shaoming Huang, Kenji Watanabe, Takashi Taniguchi, Matthew R. Barnett, Ying Chen, Rodney S. Ruoff, Lu Hua Li, Mechanical Properties of Atomically Thin Boron Nitride and The Role of Interlayer Interactions, Nat. Commun. 2017, 8, 15815.
- Qiran Cai, Aijun Du, Guoping Gao, Srikanth Mateti, Bruce C. C. Cowie, Dong Qian, Shuang Zhang, Yuerui Lu, Lan Fu, Takashi Taniguchi, Shaoming Huang, Ying Chen, Rodney S. Ruoff, Lu Hua Li, 2D Nanomaterials: Moleculeâ€induced Conformational Change in Boron Nitride Nanosheets with Enhanced Surface Adsorption, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2016, 26, 8356-8356.
- Lu Hua Li, Ying Chen, Atomically Thin Boron Nitride: Unique Properties and Applications, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2016, 26, 2594-2608.
- Long Ju, Lei Wang, Ting Cao, Takashi Taniguchi, Kenji Watanabe, Steven G. Louie, Farhan Rana, Jiwoong Park, James Hone, Feng Wang, Paul L. McEuen, Tunable Excitons in Bilayer Graphene, Science, 2017, 358, 907-910.
- L. Ci, L. Song, C. Jin, D. Jariwala, D. Wu, Y. Li, A. Srivastava, Z. F. Wang, K. Storr, L. Balicas, F. Liu, P. M. Ajayan, Atomic Layers of Hybridized Boron Nitride and Graphene Domains, Nat. Mater., 2010, 9, 430-435.
- R. Nascimento, J. da Rocha Martins, R. J. C. Batista, H. Chacham, Helio, Band Gaps of BN-Doped Graphene: Fluctuations, Trends, and Bounds, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2015, 119, 5055-5061.
- J. Li, P. Jin, W. Dai, C. Wang, R. Li, T. Wu, C. Tang, Excellent Performance for Water Purification Achieved by Activated Porous Boron Nitride Nanosheets, Mater. Chem. Phys., 2017, 196, 186-193.
- J. Wang, Fengcai Ma, M. Sun, Graphene, Hexagonal Boron Nitride, and Their Heterostructures: Properties and Applications, RSC Adv., 2017, 7, 16801-16822, http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/C7RA00260B.
- Y. Gong, G. Shi, Z. Zhang, W. Zhou, J. Jung, W. Gao, L. Ma, Y. Yang, S. Yang, G. You, R. Vajtai, Q. Xu, A. H. MacDonald, B. I. Yakobson, J. Lou, Z. Liu, P. M. Ajayan, Direct Chemical Conversion of Graphene to Boron- and Nitrogen- and Carbon-containing Atomic Layers, Nat. Comm., 2014, 5, 3193-8, http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ncomms4193.
- Y. Chu, T. Ragab, C. Basaran, The Size Effect in Mechanical Properties of Finite-sized Graphene Nanoribbon, Comput. Mater. Sci., 2014, 81, 269-274.
- W. Li, L. Liang, S. Zhao, S. Zhang, J. Xue, Fabrication of Nanopores in a Graphene Sheet with Heavy Ions: A Molecular Dynamics study, J. Appl. Phys., 2013, 114, 234304-6.
- M. K. Rana, A. Chandra, Ab Initio and Classical Molecular Dynamics Studies of the Structural and Dynamical Behavior of Water Near a Hydrophobic Graphene Sheet, J. Chem. Phys., 2013, 138, 204702-9.
- A. V. Titov, I. S. Uï¬mtsev, N. Luehr, T. J. Martinez, Generating Efficient Quantum Chemistry Codes for Novel Architectures, J. Chem. Theory Comput., 2013, 9, 213-221.
- A. D. Becke, Density-functional Exchange-energy Approximation with Correct Asymptotic Behavior, Phys. Rev. A, 1988, 38, 3098-3100.
- C. Lee, W. Yang, R. G. Parr, Development of the Colle-Salvetti Correlation-energy Formula into a Functional of the Electron Density, Phys. Rev. B, 1988, 37, 785-789.
- J. KÃ¤stner, J. M. Carr, T. W. Keal, W. Thiel, A. Wander, P. Sherwood, DL-FIND: An Open-Source Geometry Optimizer for Atomistic Simulations, J. Phys. Chem. A, 2009, 113, 11856-11865.
- M. P. Allen, D. J. Tildesley, Computer Simulation of Liquids, Oxford University Press: New York, 1989, pp. 78-82.
- I. S. Uï¬mtsev, T. J. Martinez, Quantum Chemistry on Graphical Processing Units. 3. Analytical Energy Gradients, Geometry Optimization, and First Principles Molecular Dynamics, J. Chem. Theory Comput., 2009, 5, 2619-2628.
- M. J. Frisch, G. W. Trucks, H. B. Schlegel, G. E. Scuseria, M. A. Robb, J. R. Cheeseman, G. Scalmani, V. Barone, G. A. Petersson, H. Nakatsuji, X. Li, M. Caricato, A. Marenich, J. Bloino, B. G. Janesko, R. Gomperts, B. Mennucci, H. P. Hratchian, J. V. Ortiz, A. F. Izmaylov, J. L. Sonnenberg, D. Williams-Young, F. Ding, F. Lipparini, F. Egidi, J. Goings, B. Peng, A. Petrone, T. Henderson, D. Ranasinghe, V. G. Zakrzewski, J. Gao, N.
Rega, G. Zheng, W. Liang, M. Hada, M. Ehara, K. Toyota, R. Fukuda, J. Hasegawa, M. Ishida, T. Nakajima, Y. Honda, O. Kitao, H. Nakai, T. Vreven, K. Throssell, J. A. Montgomery, Jr., J. E. Peralta, F. Ogliaro, M. Bearpark, J. J. Heyd, E. Brothers, K. N. Kudin, V. N. Staroverov, T. Keith, R. Kobayashi, J. Normand, K. Raghavachari, A. Rendell, J. C. Burant, S. S. Iyengar, J. Tomasi, M. Cossi, J. M. Millam, M. Klene, C. Adamo, R. Cammi, J. W. Ochterski, R. L. Martin, K. Morokuma, O. Farkas, J. B. Foresman, D. J. Fox, Gaussian 09, Revision D.01, Gaussian, Inc., Wallingford CT, 2016.
- J. da Rocha Martins, H. Chacham, Disorder and Segregation in Bâˆ’Câˆ’N Graphene-Type Layers and Nanotubes: Tuning the Band Gap, ACS Nano, 2011, 5, 385-393.
- A. C. Bevilacqua, M. H. Köhler, S. Azevedo, R. J. Baierlea, Stability, Optical and Electronic Properties of Ultrathin h-BNC, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2017, 19, 5629-5636.
- S. Young Kim, J. Park, H. Chul Choi, J. Pyung Ahn, J. Qiang Hou, H. Seok Kang, X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy and First Principles Calculation of BCN Nanotubes, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2007, 129, 1705-1716.
- B. Liu, S. Salgado, V. Maheshwari, J. Liu, DNA Adsorbed on Graphene and Graphene Oxide: Fundamental Interactions, Desorption and Applications, Curr. Opin. Colloid & Interface Sci., 2016, 26, 41-49.
- Z. Gu, Y. Zhang, B. Luan, Z. Ruhong, DNA Translocation Through Single-layer Boron Nitride Nanopores, Soft Matter, 2016, 12, 817-823.
- R. Santamaria, G. Cocho, L. Corona, E. GonzÃ¡lez, Molecular Electrostatic Potentials and Mulliken Charge Populations of DNA Mini-sequences, Chem. Phys., 1998, 227, 317-329.
- A. Smolyanitsky, V. K. Tewary, Manipulation of Graphene's Dynamic Ripples by Local Harmonic Out-of-plane Excitation, Nanotechnology, 2013, 24, 055701-8.
- A. Rubio, Hybridized Graphene: Nanoscale Patchworks, Nat. Mater., 2010, 9, 379-380.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).