Valorization of the essential oil of Zingiber officinale by its Use as inhibitor against the corrosion of the carbon steel in acid medium hydrochloric acid 1M
AbstractIn this work, we are interested in the study of the protection of ordinary steel in acid medium (HCl) 1M by adding Zingiber officinale EO rhizomes essential oil at different concentrations: 0.5g / L, 1g / L, 1.5g / L and 2g / L.The technique used is an electrochemical technique based on the recording of intensity-potential curves in potentio-kinetic mode. The inhibitory action exerted by the essential oil is revealed by tracing the transient curves of the impedance Z to determine in a first step the percentage of inhibition and the stationary curve in order to confirm the first result.The main results have shown that the essential oil of ginger (Zingiber officinale) can slow down or inhibit corrosion in acid medium (hydrochloric acid), steel. The maximum percentage inhibition is 96%. It should be noted that it is obtained with the concentration 1.5g / L of essential oil.
- C.C. Nathan and A.J. Piluso, "It takes know-how to combat wet-end corrosion problems in paper mills", Paper Trade Journal, 1977, 161 (22), 32-35.
- M. Benabdellah, M. Benkaddour, B. Hammouti, M. Bendahhou, A. Aouniti, Appl. Surf. Sci., 2006 252, 6212-6217.
- P.R. Roberge, Handbook of Corrosion Engineering, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2000.
- Cristofari et al., Chemical Composition and Anti-Corrosive Activity of Pulicaria Mauritanica Essential Oil Against the Corrosion of Mild Steel in 0.5 M H2SO4 International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 2011, 6, 6699-6717.
- V.E. Tyler, The honest herbal, a sensible guide to the use of herbs and related remedies. New York: Pharmaceutical Products Press .2002, 375.
- S. Bilgic, N. Caliskan, J. Appl. Electrochem., 2001, 31, 79.
- L.R. Chauhan, G. Gunasekaran, Corros. Sci., 2007, 49, 1143.
- M. Stern, and A. L. Geary, J. Electrochem. Soc., 1957, 104, 56.
- J. F. Clevenger J. Pharmaceutical Sci ,1928, 17(4), 345-349.
- M. Ouakki, M. Galai, M. Cherkaoui, El. Rifi, Z. Hatim. Bioanal. Electrochem 2018, 10(7), 943-960.
- A. Bouckamp, User's Manual Equivalent Circuit, 1993, 4, 51.
- K. Alaoui, Y. El Kacimi, M. Galai, K. Dahmani, R. Touir, A. El Harfi, M. EbnTouhami, Anal. Bioanal.Electrochem. 2016, 8, 830.
- C. Gabrielli, M. Keddam, and H. Takenouti, MatÃ©riaux and Techniques 2007, 95, 385.
- L. Kadiri, M. Galai, M. Ouakki, Y. Essaadaoui, A. Ouass, M. Cherkaoui, E. Rifi and A. Lebkiri. Coriandrum Sativum. L Seeds Extract as a Novel Green Corrosion Inhibitor for Mild Steel in 1.0 M Hydrochloric and 0.5 M Sulfuric Solutions, Anal. Bioanal. Electrochem. 2018, 10(2), 249-268.
- M. Galai, M. Rbaa, Y. El Kacimi, M. Ouakki, N. Dkhirech, R. Touir, B. Lakhrissi, and M. EbnTouhami, Anal. Bioanal. Electrochem., 2017, 9, 80.
- M. Galai, M El Gouri, O. Dagdag, Y. El Kacimi, A. Elharfi, M. Ebn Touhami M, New hexa propylene glycol cyclotiphosphazene as efficient organic inhibitor of carbon steel corrosion in hydrochloric acid medium. J Mater Environ Sci, 2016, 7, 1562.
- M. Ehteshamzadeh, AH. Jafari, E. Naderi, M.G. Hosseini, Effect of carbon steel microstructures and molecular structure of two new Schiff base compounds on inhibition performance in 1 M HCl solution by EIS. Mater Chem Phys, 2009, 113, 986-993.
- C. B. Verma, M. J. Reddy, and M. A. Quraishi, Anal. Bioanal. Electrochem., 2014, 6, 321.
- M. Ouakki, M. Rbaa, M. Galai, B. Lakhrissi, E. H. Rifi, M. Cherkaoui, Experimental and Quantum Chemical Investigation of Imidazole Derivatives as Corrosion Inhibitors on Mild Steel in 1.0 M Hydrochloric Acid, Journal of Bio- and Tribo-Corrosion 2018, 4, 35.
- D. A. Lopez, S. N. Simison, and S. R. de Sanchez, Electrochim. Acta, 2003, 48, 845.
- X. Zheng, S. Zhang, W. Li, L. Yin, J. He, and J. Wua, Corros. Sci., 2014 ,80, 383.
- M. Hosseini, S.F.L. Mertens, M. Ghorbani, M.R. Arshadi, Asymmetrical Schiff bases as inhibitors of mild steel corrosion in sulphuric acid media. Mater Chem Phys, 2003, 78, 800-808.
- M.A. Hegazy, M. Abdallah, M.K. Awad, M. Rezk, Three novel di-quaternary ammonium salts as corrosion inhibitors for API X65 steel pipeline in acidic solution: part I: experimental results. Corros Sci, 2014, 81, 54-64.
- A. K. Singh, and M. A. Quraishi, J. Appl. Chem ,2010, 40, 1293.
- K. Bouhrira, F. Ouahiba, D. Zerouali et al. E-J. Chem., 2010, 7, 35.
- N. Gharda, M. Galai, L. Saqalli, M. Ouakki, N. Habbadi, R. Ghailane, A. Souizi, M. Ebn Touhami, Y. Peres-lucchese, Synthesis, Structural Properties and Complex Corrosion Inhibition Cu (II) With Amino Acid (DL-a-Alanine). Oriental Journal of Chemistry, 2017, 33, 1665-1676.
- K. Dahmani, M. Galai, M. Cherkaoui, A. El hasnaoui, A. El Hessni, J. Materials and environmental sciences, 2017, 8, 16761689.
- M. El Faydy, M. Galai, M. Rbaa, M. Ouakki, B. Lakhrissi, M. Ebn Touhami and Y. El Kacimi, Synthesis and Application of New Quinoline as Hydrochloric Acid Corrosion Inhibitor of Carbon Steel, Anal. Bioanal. Electrochem., Vol. 10, No. 7, 2018, 815-839.
- F. Bentiss, M. Lebrini, M. Lagrenee, M. Traisnel, A. Elfarouk, H. Vezin, Electrochim. Acta, The influence of some new 2,5-disubstituted 1,3,4-thiadiazoles on the corrosion behaviour of mild steel in 1M HCl solution: AC impedance study and theoretical approach, Electrochimica Acta, 2007, 52, 6865-6872 (2007) [doi: 10.1016/j.electacta.2007.04.111]
- N. Dkhireche, M. Galai, Y. El Kacimi, M. Rbaa, M. Ouakki, B. Lakhrissi, M. Ebn Touhami, New Quinoline Derivatives as Sulfuric Acid Inhibitorâ€™s for Mild Steel, Anal. Bioanal. Electrochem., 2018, 10(1), 111-135.
- M. Rbaa, M. Galai, Y. El Kacimi, M. Ouakki, R. Touir, B. Lakhrissi, M. Ebn Touhami, Adsorption Properties and Inhibition of Carbon Steel Corrosion in a Hydrochloric Solution by 2-(4,5-diphenyl-4,5-dihydro-1h-imidazol-2-yl)-5-methoxyphenol Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta, 2017, 35(6), 323-338.
LicenseAuthors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).