Antibacterial and photocatalytic performance of Silver orthophosphate/Hydroxyapatite composite
AbstractThe present work reports the synthesis of pure hydroxyapatite and HAp supported Ag3PO4 (Ag3PO4/HAp composites) with varying amounts of silver ions Ag+ with a facile in-situ ion exchange method. XRD results of Ag3PO4/HAp composite reveal the peaks characteristic of pure HAp with additional peaks of silver ions which suggest the deposit of silver particles on the support surface (HAp). The nano-composites Ag3PO4/HAp samples show good adsorption and improved photocatalytic activities in methylene blue MB degradation (more than 70%). Antibacterial study of Ag3PO4/HAp nano-composites showed that the HAp dried at 90°C possesses some antibacterial activity against Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. Also, compared to HAp sample, deposition of Ag3PO4 nanoparticles on HAp surface improves the antibacterial performance of the composites.
- K. Hashimoto, H. Irie, et A. Fujishima, TiO2 Photocatalysis: A Historical Overview and Future Prospects, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., vol 44, no 12, 2005, 8269-8285.
- J.-M. Herrmann, Photocatalysis fundamentals revisited to avoid several misconceptions, Appl. Catal. B Environ., vol. 99, no 3-4, 2010, 461-468.
- Z. Yi, J. Ye, N. Kikugawa, T. Kako, S. Ouyang, H. Stuart-Williams, H. Yang, J. Cao, W. Luo, Z. Li, Y. Liu, R.L. Withers, Nat. Mater 9, 2010, 559-564.
- R. Asahi, Visible-Light Photocatalysis in Nitrogen-Doped Titanium Oxides, Science, vol. 293, no 5528, 2001, 269-271.
- Weerasak Chomkitichai, Jiraporn Pama, Pimchanok Jaiyen, Sila Pano, Jiraporn Ketwaraporn, Pusit Pookmanee, Sukon Phanichphant and Pongthep Jansanthea, Applied Mechanics and Materials, 2019, 886, 138-145.
- N. Umezawa, O. Shuxin, et J. Ye, Theoretical study of high photocatalytic performance of Ag 3PO4, Phys. Rev. B, vol. 83, no 3, 2011, 035202-1-8.
- X. Fu, W. Tang, L. Ji, et S. Chen, V2O5/Al2O3 composite photocatalyst: Preparation, characterization, and the role of Al2O3, Chem. Eng. J. vol. 180, 2012, 170-177.
- W. Yao, B. Zhang, C. Huang, C. Ma, X. Song, et Q. Xu, Synthesis and characterization of high efficiency and stable Ag3PO4/TiO2 visible light photocatalyst for the degradation of methylene blue and rhodamine B solutions, J. Mater. Chem., vol. 22, no 9, 2012, 4050.
- H. Cui et al., Facile synthesis of graphene oxide-enwrapped Ag3PO4 composites with highly efficient visible light photocatalytic performance, Mater. Lett., vol. 93, 2013, 28-31.
- L. Zhang, H. Zhang, H. Huang, Y. Liu, et Z. Kang, Ag3PO4/SnO2 semiconductor nanocomposites with enhanced photocatalytic activity and stability, New J. Chem., vol. 36, no 8, 2012, 1541.
- Archan Rajendran, Rakesh C. Barik, Duraipandy Natarajan, M.S. Kiran, Deepak K. Pattanayak, Synthesis, phase stability of hydroxyapatiteâ€“silver composite with antimicrobial activity and cytocompatibility, Ceramics International 40, 2014, 10831-10838.
- M.M. Tin-Oo, V. Gopalakrishnan, A.R. Samsuddin, K.A. Al Salihi, et O. Shamsuria, Antibacterial property of locally produced hydroxyapatite, Arch. Orofac. Sci. 2, 2007, 41-44.
- W. Chen, Y. Liu, H.S. Courtney, M. Bettenga, C.M. Agrawal, J.D. Bumgardner, J.L. Ong, In vitro anti-bacterial and biological properties of magnetron co-sputtered silver-containing hydroxyapatite coating, Biomaterials 27, 2006, 5512-5517.
- R.J. Chung, M.F. Hsieh, C.W. Huang, L.H. Perng, H.W. Wen, T.S. Chin, Antimicrobial effects and human gingival biocompatibility of hydroxyapatite sol-gel coatings, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. Part B 76, 2006, 169-178.
- R.W. Sun, R. Chen, N.P. Chung, C.M. Ho, C.L. Lin, C.M. Che, Silver nanoparticles fabricated in Hepes buffer exhibit cytoprotective activities toward HIV-1 infected cells, Chem. Commun. 40, 2005, 5059-5061.
- Wen-Ru. Li, Xiao-Bao. Xie, Qing-Shan. Shi, Hai-Yan. Zeng, You-Sheng OU-Yang, Yi-Ben. Chen, Antibacterial activity and mechanism of silver nanoparticles on Escherichia coli, Appl Microbiol Biotechnol, 2010, 1115-1122.
- B. Chafik El Idrissi, K. Yamni, A. Yacoubi, A. Massit, A novel method to synthesize nanocrystalline hydroxyapatite: Characterization with x-ray diffraction and infrared spectroscopy, IOSR Journal of Applied Chemistry. Volume 7, Issue 5, Ver. III, 2014, 107-112.
- J.J. Buckley, A.F. Lee, L. Olivi, K. Wilson, Hydroxyapatite supported antibacterial Ag3PO4 nanoparticles, Journal of Materials Chemistry 20, 2010, 8056-8063.
- Gopal Panthi, Rosa Ranjit, Hak-Yong Kim, Deependra Das Mulmi, Size-dependent optical and antibacterial properties of Ag3PO4 synthesized by facile precipitation and colloidal approach in aqueous solution, Optik 156, 2018, 60-68.
- X. Ma et al., Substantial change in the phenomenon of â€œself-corrosionâ€ on Ag3PO4/TiO2 compound photocatalyst, Appl. Catal. B Environ., vol. 158-159, 2014, 314-320.
- Y. Bi, S. Ouyang, N. Umezawa, J. Cao, et J. Ye, Facet Effect of Single-Crystalline Ag 3 PO 4 Sub-microcrystals on Photocatalytic Properties, J. Am. Chem. Soc., vol. 133, no 17, 2011, 6490-6492.
- Xiaoting Hong, Xiaohui Wu, Qiuyun Zhang, Mingfeng Xiao, Gelin Yang, Meirong Qiu, Guocheng Han, Hydroxyapatite supported Ag3PO4 nanoparticles with higher visible light photocatalytic activity, Applied Surface Science 258, 2012, 4801-4805.
- V. Stanic, S. Dimitrijevic´, J. Antic-Stankovic´, M. Mitric´, B. Jokic´, Ilija B. Plecasˇ, S. Raicevic´, Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of copper and zinc-doped hydroxyapatite nanopowders, Applied Surface Science 256, 2010, 6083-6089
- E. Amato, Y.A. Diaz-Fernandez, A. Taglietti, P. Pallavicini, L. Pasotti, L. Cucca, C. Milanese, P. Grisoli, C. Dacarro, J.M. Fernandez-Hechavarria, V. Necchi, Synthesis, characterization and antibacterial activity against Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria of biomimetically coated silver nanoparticles, Langmuir 27, 2011, 9165-9173.
- Ammar Z. Alshemary, Muhammed Akram, Yi-Fan Goh, Usman Tariq, Faheem K. Butt, Ahmad Abdolahi, Rafaqat Hussain, Synthesis, characterization, in vitro bioactivity and antimicrobial activity of magnesium and nickel doped silicate hydroxyapatite, Ceramics International 41, 2015, 11886-11898.
- Nida Iqbal, Mohammed Rafiq Abdul Kadir, Nik Ahmad Nazim Nik Malek, Nasrul Humaimi Bin Mahmood, Malliga Raman Murali, T. Kamarul, Characterization and antibacterial properties of stable silver substituted hydroxyapatite nanoparticles synthesized through surfactant assisted microwave process, Materials Research Bulletin 48, 2013, 3172-3177.
- M. Diaz, F. Barba, M. Miranda, F. Guitian, R. Torrecillas, J.S. Moya, Synthesis, antimicrobial activity of silver-hydroxyapatite nanocomposite, J. Nanomater, 2009, Article ID 498505.
- L.F. de Oliveira, J.O. de GonÃ§alves, A. Kaliandra, J. Kobarg, M.B. Cardoso, Sweeter but deadlier: decoupling size, charge and capping effects in carbohydrate coated bactericidal silver nanoparticles, J. Biomed. Nanotechnol. 9, 2013, 18171826.
- W.R. Li, X.B. Xie, Q.S. Shi, S.S. Duan, Y.S. Ouyang, Y.B. Chen, Antibacterial effect of silver nanoparticles of Staphylococcus aureus, Biometals 24, 2011, 135-141.
- S. Cavalu, V. Simon, G. Goller, I. Akin, Bioactivity and antimicrobial proprieties of PMMA/Ag2O acrylic bone cement collagen coated Dig. J. Nanomater. Bios. 6, 2011, 779-790.
- M. Bellantone, H.D. Williams, L.L. Hench, Broad-spectrum bactericidal activity of Ag2O-doped bioactive glass, Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 46, 2002, 1940-1945.
- Raffi, M., Hussain, F., Bhatti, T.M., Akhter, J.I., Hameed, A., Hasan, M.M, Antibacterial characterization of silver nanoparticles against E.coli ATCC-15224, Journal of Materials Science and TechnologyVolume 24, Issue 2, 2008, 192-196.
- H.Y. Song, K.K. Ko, I.H. Oh, B.T. Lee, Fabrication of silver nanoparticles and their antimicrobial mechanisms, Eur. Cells. Mater. 11, 2006, 58.
- Q.L. Feng, J. Wu, G.Q. Chen, F.Z. Cui, T.N. Kim, J.O. Kim, A mechanistic study of the antibacterial effect of silver ions on Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. A 52, 2000, 662-668.
- A. Mocanu, G. Furtos, S. Rapuntean, O. Horovitz, C. Flore, C. Garbo, A. Danisteanu, G. Rapuntean, C. Prejmerean, M. Tomoaia-Cotisel, Synthesis characterization and antimicrobial effects of composites based on multi-substituted hydroxyapatite and silver nanoparticles, Applied Surface Science 298, 2014, 225-235.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).