GC/MS Analysis and Antibacterial Activity of the Essential Oil of Moroccan Tetraclinis articulata (Vahl) Masters
AbstractThe quality and the variability of the chemical composition and antimicrobial properties of essentials oils isolated from Tetraclinis articulata (Vahl) leaves, which were studied from two different regions that are ecologically various. The average yield of essential oil is 0,56 % for the Ras Elma Tazekka region (mountain) and 0,36% for the Debdou region (plain). An analysis made by GC and GC/ MS identified 22 components in Tetraclinis articulata leaves essential oil in the mountain area and 29 components in the plain area. These major components represent the variability of quantity. The percentages following respectively by the two areas are: Bornyl acetate (34,84%; 32,55%), α-Pinene (11,41%; 18,83%), Camphor (11,24 %; 11,31%), Limonene (11,94 %; 8%) and Borneol (8,35%; 7,79%). The antimicrobial activity of T. articulata essential oil was tested against clinical isolates of Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Escherichia coli which has been inhibited from the 50μg / mL concentration for the Debdou region (Plain) and 25μg / mL for that of the Ras Elma Tazekka region (Mountain).
- N. Achak, A. Romane, M. Alifriqui, R.P. Adams, Chemical studies of leaf essential oils of three species of Juniperus from Tensift Al Haouz-Marrakech Region (Morocco), J. Essent. Oil Res., 2009, 21(4), 337-341.
- Y. Abbas, M. Ducousso, M. Abourouh, R. Azon, R. Duponnois, Diversity of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in Tetraclinis articulata (Vahl) Masters woodlands in Morocco, Ann. For. Sci. 63 (2006) 285-291.
- M. Bourkhiss, M. Ouhssine, M. Hnach, M. Bourkkhis, B. Satrani, A. Farah, Compositon et Bioactivité de l'huile essentielle des rameaux de Tetraclinis Articulata, Bull.Soc.pharm.Bordeau, 2017, 146,75-84.
- J. Bellakhdar, La pharmacopée Marocaine traditionnelle, The Traditional Moroccan Pharmacopoeia, Ibis Press, Paris 1997.
- A. P. Mishra, S. Saklani, B. Salehi, V. Parcha, M.Sharifi-Rad, L.Milella, M.Iriti, J. Sharifi-Rad, M. Srivastava, Satyrium nepalense, a high altitude medicinal orchid of Indian Himalayan region: Chemical profile and biological activities of tuber extracts, Cell Mol Bio(Noisy le Grand) , 2018, Volume 64 Issue 8.
- A. P. Mishra, M. Sharifi-Rad, M. A. Shariati, Y. N. Mbkhot, S. S. Al-Showiman, A. Rauf, B. Salhi, M. Zupunski, M. Sharifi-Rad, P. Gusain, J. Sharifi-Rad, H. A. Rasul Suleria, M. Iriti, Bioactive compounds and health benefits of edible Rumex species - a review, Cell Mol Biol (Noisy le Grand), 2018, Volume 64, Issue 8.
- A. F. Barrero, M. M. Herrador, P. Arteaga, J. Quilez, M. Akssira, F. Mellouki, S. Akkad, Chemical composition of the essential oil of leaves and wood of Tetraclinis articulata (Vahl) Masters, J. Essent. Oil Res., 2005, 17, 166-168.
- M. Bourkhiss, M. Hnach, B. Bourkhiss, M. Ouhssine, A. Chaouch, Chemical composition and antimicrobial properties of the essential oil extracted from the leaves of Tetraclinis articulata (Vahl) from Morocco, Afrique Sci., 2007, 3, 232-242. French.
- A. Ziyyat, Z. Legssyer, H. Mekhfi, A. Dassouli, M. Serhrouchni, W. Benjelloun, Phytotherapy of hypertension and diabetes in oriental Morocco, J. Ethnopharmacol., 1997, 58(1), 45-54.
- M. Bourkhiss, M. Hanach, B. Bourkhiss, M. Ouhssine, M. Chaouch, B. Satrani., Effet de séchage sur la teneur et la composition chimique des huiles essentielles de Tetraclinis articulata (Vahl) Masters, Agro solutions, 2009, 20(1), 44-48.
- H. W. Woerdenbag, R. M. C. Bos, C. Salomons, H. Hendriks, N. Pras, T. M. Malingre, Volatile constituents of Artemisia annua L (Asteraceae), Flav Fragr J., 1993, 8, 131-137.
- J. Palá-Paúl, M. J. Pérez-Alonso, A. VelascoNegueruela, P. Ramos-Vázquez, F. Gómez Contrera, J. Sanz, Essential oil of Santolina rosmarinifolla L ssp. rosmarlnifolia: first isolation of capillene, a dlacetylene derivative. Flavour Fragr. J., 1999, 14, 131-134
- A. G. Ponce, R. Fritz, C. Del Valle, S. I. Roura, Antimicrobial activity of essential oils on the native microflora of organic Swiss Chard, LWT-Food Sci, Technol, 2003, 36(7), 679-684.
- K. Guven, S. Celik, L. Uysal, Antimicrobial activity of Centaurea species Pharmaceutical Biology, 2005, 43, 67-71.
- G. Iscan, F. Demirci, N. Kirimer, M. Kuèrkcuèoglu, K. H. C. Baser, Antimicrobial screening: Mentha piperita essential oil, J. Agric. Food. Chem., 2002, 50, 3943-3946.
- E. W. Koneman, S.D. Allen, W.M. Janda, P.C. Schreckenberger, W. C. Inn, Color atlas and textbook of diagnostic microbiology Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven Publ., 1997, 785-856.
- F. Demirci, K. Guven, B. Demirci, M. Y. Dadandi, K. H. C. Baser, Antibacterial activity of two Phlomis essential oils against food pathogens, Food Control, 2008, 19, 1159-1164.
- M. Bourkhiss, M. Hanach, B. Bourkhiss, M. Ouhssine, M.Chaouch, Composition Chimique et proprieties antimicrobiennes de l'huiles essentielles extraite des feuilles de Tetraclinis articulata (Vahl) du Maroc, Afr. Sci., 2007, 03(02), 232-242.
- V. I. Babushok, P. J. Linstrom, I. G. Zenkevich, Retention Indices for Frequently Reported Compounds of Plant Essential Oils, J. Phys. Chem. Ref. Data, 2011, Vol. 40, No. 4.
- D. El Abed, N. Kambouche, Les huiles essentielles. Dar El Gharb, Oran, 2003, pp. 91.
- F. Hajji, S. Fkih-Tantaoui, A. Tantaoui-Elaraki, Antimicrobial activity of twenty-one Eucalyptus essential oils, Fitoterapia. L XIV, 1993, 1, 71-78.
- A. Tantaoui-El Araki, N. Lattaoui, A. Errifi, Composition and antimicrobial activity of the essential oil of Thymus broussonetti, J. Essent. Oil. Res., 1993, 5, 45-53.
- N. Aligiannis, E.Kalpoutzakis, I. B. Chinou, S. Mitakou, E. Gikas, A. Tsarbopoulos, Composition and antimicrobial activity of essential oils of five taxa of Sderitis from Greece, J. Agric. Food Chem., 2001, 49, 811-815.
- P. Franchomme, Lâ€™aromatologie Ã visée anti-infectieuse, Phytomédecine, 1981, 1(2), 25-47.
- R. Gueldner, D. M. Wilson, A. Heidi, Volatil compounds inhibiting Aspergillus flavus, J. Agric. Food Chem., 1985, 33, 413-419.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).