Calcite, the main corrosion inhibitor contained in the raw clay (Rhassoul) of brass in 3% NaCl medium.
AbstractCorrosion control of copper alloys such as brass is of great interest to researchers and scientists. Clays become materials of choice as corrosion inhibitors and as their reservoir in corrosive environments. The effect of Rhassoul on the corrosion of Cu-36Zn alloy in 3% NaCl solution has been studied. Electrochemical techniques showed that the optimum concentration was 1g/L showing the highest inhibition efficiency (82%). This concentration was evaluated at five different temperatures. In order to determine the influence of purification, this result was compared to that of the homoionic clay labeled Na+-ST and to the pure calcite. Chemical composition of the brass specimen and solutions were done by inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectrometry (ICP-AES) and atomic absorption (AA) respectively. The effectiveness of this clay against the dissolution of Zinc reached 61%. XRD technique demonstrated the homoionization of this clay by shifting the basal spacing d001.
- M.H. Hussin, M.J. Kassim, The corrosion inhibition and adsorption behavior of Uncaria gambir extract on mild steel in 1 M HCl, Mater. Chem. Phys, 2011, 125, 461-468.
- F. Mansfeld, T. Smith, E. P. Parry, Benzotriazole as corrosion inhibitor for copper, Corrosion, 1971, 27, 289- 294.
- E. Geler, D. S. Azambuja, Corrosion inhibition of copper in chloride solutions by pyrazole, Corros. Sci, 2000, 42, 631-643.
- R. Ravichandran, N. Rajendran, Influence of benzotriazole derivatives on the dezincification of 65-35 brass in sodium chloride, Applied Surface Science, 2005, 239, 182-192.
- Z. Mountassir, A. Srihari, Electrochemical behaviour of Cu-40Zn in 3% NaCl solution polluted by sulphides: effect of aminotriazole, Corros. Sci, 2007, 49, 1350-1361.
- T. Kosec, D. K. Merl, I. MiloÅ¡ev, Impedance and XPS study of benzotriazole films formed on copper, copper-zinc alloys and zinc in chloride solution, Corros. Sci, 2008, 50, 1987-1997.
- J. R. Xavier, S. Nanjundan, N. Rajendran, Electrochemical adsorption properties and inhibition of brass corrosion in natural seawater by thiadiazole derivatives: experimental and theoretical investigation, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 2012, 51, 30-43.
- S. Langard, T. Vigander, Occurrence of lung cancer in workers producing chromium pigments, Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 1983, 40, 71-74.
- S. A. Katz, H. Salem, The toxicology of chromium with respect to its chemical speciation, J Appl Toxicol, 1993, 13, 217-224.
- S. Tazi, I. Raissouni, F. Chaouket, D. Bouchta, A. Dahdouh, R. Elkhamlichi, H. Douhri, The Inhibition effect of Brass corrosion in NaCl 3% by Eugenol, J. Mater. Environ. Sci, 2016, 7, 1642-1652, https://www.jmaterenvironsci.com/ Document/ vol 7/vol 7_N5/181-JMES-2120-Tazi.pdf.
- A. Chraka, I. Raissouni, N. Ben Seddik, S. Khayara, A. Ibn Mansour, H. Belcadib, F. Chaouket, D. Bouchta, Aging time effect of Ammi visnaga (L.) lam essential oil on the chemical composition and corrosion inhibition of brass in 3% NaCl medium. Experimental and theoretical studies, Materials Today: Proceedings, https://doi.org/10.1016/j. matpr.2019.08.086
- M. Y. Lvov, G. D. Shchukin, H. Mohwald, R. R. Price, Halloysite Clay Nanotubes for Controlled Release of Protective Agents, J. Am. Chem. Soc, 2008, 2, 814-820.
- E. Abdullayev, Y. M. Lvov, Halloysite clay nanotubes for controlled release of protective agents, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 2011, 11, 10007-10026.
- E. Shchukina, D. Shchukin, D. Grigoriev, Effect of inhibitor-loaded halloysites and mesoporous silica nanocontainers on corrosion protection of powder coatings, Progress in Organic Coatings, 2017, 102, 60-65.
- A. Ait Aghzzaf, B. Rhouta, J. Steinmetz,
E. Rocca, L. Aranda, A. Khalil, J. Yvon. L. Daoudi, Corrosion inhibitors based on chitosan-heptanoate modified beidellite, Applied Clay Science, 2012, 65-66, 173-178.
- A. Ait Aghzzaf, B. Rhouta, E. Rocca, A. Khalil, C. Caillet, R. Hakkou, Heptanoic acid adsorption on grafted palygorskite and its application as controlled-release corrosion inhibitor of steel, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2014, 148, 335-342.
- B.L. Yu, X. L. Pan, J. Y. Uan, Enhancement of corrosion resistance of Mg-9 wt.% Al-1 wt.% Zn alloy by a calcite (CaCO3) conversion hard coating, Corros. Sci, 2010, 52, 1874-1878.
- A. Ait Aghzzaf, B. Rhouta, E. Rocca, A. Khalil, Grafted palygorskite as containers of heptanoate for corrosion protection of steel in NaCl medium, Corros. Sci, 2017, 114, 88-95.
- L. Bouna, B. Rhouta. M. Amjoud, A. Jada, F. Maury, L. Daoudi, F. Senoq, Correlation between electrokinetic mobility and ionic dyes adsorption of Moroccan stevensite, Applied Clay Science, 2010, 48, 527-530.
- A. Benhammou, B. Tanouti, L. Nibou, A. Yaacoubi, J. P. Bonnet, Mineralogical and physicochemical investigation of Mg-smectite from Jbel Ghassoul, Morocco, Clays and Clay Minerals, 2009, 57, 264-270.
- S. CaillÃ¨re, S. Henin, M. Rautureau, MinÃ©ralogie des Argiles : Classification et Nomenclature, Ed., Masson et INRA, Paris, 1982.
- B. Rhouta, H. Kaddami, J. Elbarqy, M. Amjoud, L. Daoudi, F. Maury, F. Senocq, A. Maazouz, J. F. Gerard, Elucidating the crystal-chemistry of Jbel Rhassoul stevensite (Morocco) by advanced analytical techniques, Clay minerals, 2008, 43, 393-404.
- T. Holtzapffel, Les mineraux argileux: prÃ©paration, analyse diffractomÃ©trique et dÃ©termination, Ed., SociÃ©tÃ© GÃ©ologique du Nord, 1985.
- A. Benhammou, A. Yaacoubi, L. Nibou, B. Tanouti, Adsorption of metal ions onto Moroccan stevensite: kinetic and isotherm studies, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2005, 282, 320-326.
- L. Bouna, B. Rhouta, M. Amjoud, F. Maury, M. Jada, L. Daoudi, F. Senocq, M. C. Lafont, C. Drouet, SynthÃ¨se, caractÃ©risations et tests photocatalytiques dâ€™un matÃ©riau argileux dâ€™origine naturelle Ã base de beidellite fonctionnalisÃ©e par TiO2, MatÃ©riaux & Techniques, 2012, 100, 241-252,
- N. Ben Seddik, I. Raissouni, K. Draoui, A. Ait Aghzzaf, A. Chraka, B. Aznag, F. Chaouket, D. Bouchta, Anticorrosive performance of lanthanum ions intercalated Stevensite clay on brass in 3% NaCl medium,
Materials Today: Proceedings, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2019.08.085
- T. Theivasanthi, M. Alagar, physics.chem-ph, Titanium dioxide (tio2) nanoparticles xrd analyses: An insight, 2013, arXiv:1307.1091.
- S. Chanel, N. PÃ©bÃ¨re, An investigation on the corrosion of brass-coated steel cords for tyres by electrochemical techniques, Corros. Sci. 2001, 43, 413-427.
- A. Ait Aghzzaf, B. Rhouta, E. Rocca, A. Khalil, J. Steinmetz, Corrosion inhibition of zinc by calcium exchanged beidellite clay mineral: A new smart corrosion inhibitor, Corros. Sci, 2014, 80, 46-52.
- E. S. Ferreira, F. C. Giacomelli, A. Spinelli, Evaluation of the inhibitory effect of L-ascorbic acid on the corrosion of mild steel, Mater. Chem. Phys, 2004, 83, 129-134.
- I. Aiad, M. M. El-Sukkary, E. A. Soliman, M. Y. El-Awady, S. M. Shaban, Inhibition of mild steel corrosion in acidic medium by some cationic surfactants, J. Ind. Eng. Chem, 2014, 20, 3524-3535.
- C. Des louis, B. Tribollet, G. Mengoli, M. Musiani, Electrochemical behaviour of copper in neutral aerated chloride solution. I. Steady-state investigation, J. Applied Electrochem, 1988, 18, 374-383.
- Z. Avramovic, M. Antonijevic, Corrosion of cold-deformed brass in acid sulphate solution, Corros. Sci, 2004, 46, 2793-2802.
- I. B. Obot, N. O. Obi-Egbedi, Anti-corrosive properties of xanthone on mild steel corrosion in sulphuric acid: Experimental and theoretical investigations, Current Applied Physics, 2011, 11, 382-392.
- M. Bitenc, M. Marinsek, Z. C Orel, Preparation and characterization of zinc hydroxide carbonate and porous zinc oxide particles., J. Eur. Ceram. Soc, 2008, 28, 2915-2921.
- M. R. Mahmoudian, W. J. Basirun, Y. Alias,
M. Ebadi, Synthesis and characterization of polypyrrole/Sn-doped TiO2 nanocomposites (NCs) as a protective pigment, Appl. Surf. Sci, 2011, 257, 8317-8325.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).