Electrical conductivity study of poly(p-anisidine) doped and undoped ZnO nanocomposite
AbstractPolymeric blends of Poly (p-anisidine) with ZnO nanoparticles was prepared by chemical oxidative polymerization. Zinc oxide doped PPA polymer nanocomposite (ZPPA) and Magnesium doped Zinc oxide PPA polymer nanocomposite (MZPPA) were synthesized with the addition of semiconductor metal oxide to the polymeric solution. The X-ray diffraction studies of ZnO nanoparticles showed hexagonal wurzite structure. The surface morphological study also confirms the formation of hexagonal structured nanoparticles. The peak for Magnesium and Zinc in EDS spectra confirms the formation of Magnesium doped polymer nanocomposite. The addition of ZnO/MgZnO onto PPA conducting polymer showed agglomeration of semiconductor material results in spherical shaped polymer nanocomposite and irregular overlapping over the PPA polymeric surface. The electrochemical conductivity studies suggested that the doped PPA conducting polymeric blends showed enhanced conductivity nature.
- A.K. Mishra, Conducting Polymers: Concepts and Applications, J. at. mol. condens. nano phys., 2018, 5(2), 159-193.
- J.C. Lacroix, Polyaniline: A Very Fast Electrochromic Material, J. Electrochem. Soc, 1989, 136(5), 1308-1313.
- G. Gustafsson, Y. Cao, G.M. Treacy, F. Klavetter, N. Colaneri, A.J. Heeger, Flexible light-emitting diodes made from soluble conducting polymers, Nature, 1992, 357(6378), 477–479.
- G. Yu, A.J. Heeger, High-efficiency photonic devices made with semiconducting polymers, Synth. Met, 1997, 85(1-3), 1183–1186.
- C. Harito, D.V. Bavykin, B. Yuliarto, H.K. Dipojono, & F.C. Walsh, Polymer Nanocomposites Having a High Filler Content: Synthesis, Structures, Properties, and Applications, Nanoscale, 2019, 11(11), 4653-4682.
- Y. He, A novel emulsion route to sub-micrometer polyaniline/nano-ZnO composite fibers, Appl Surf Sci, 2005, 249(1-4), 1–6.
- M. Cavas, Investigation morphological, electrical, and optical properties of Mn-doped ZnO thin film by sol-gel spin-coating method, J Theoretical and Applied Physics, 2017, 11(4), 325–331.
- K.K. Nagaraja, S. Pramodini, A. Santhosh Kumar, H.S. Nagaraja, P. Poornesh, D. Kekuda, Third-order nonlinear optical properties of Mn-doped ZnO thin films under CW laser illumination, Optical Materials, 2013, 35(3), 431–439.
- S. Sharma, R.S. Kundu, A. Singh, S. Murugavel, R. Punia, N. Kishore, Structural, optical, electrical, and magnetic properties of Zn0.7MnxNi0.3xO nanoparticles synthesized by sol-gel technique, Cogent Physics, 2015, 2(1), 1-11.
- R.K. Sharma, S. Patel, K.C. Pargaien, Synthesis, characterization and properties of Mn-doped ZnO nanocrystals, Adv. Nat. Sci: Nanosci. Nanotechnol, 2012, 3(3), 1-5.
- A. Matei, I. Cernica, O. Cadar, C. Roman, V. Schiopu, Synthesis and characterization of ZnO – polymer nanocomposites, Int. J. Mater. Form, 2008, 1(S1), 767–770.
- X. Lei and Z. Su, Conducting polyaniline-coated nano silica by in situ chemical oxidative grafting polymerization, Polym. Adv. Technol, 2007, 18(6), 472-476.
- W.S. Huang, B.D. Humphrey, A.G. MacDiarmid, Polyaniline, a novel conducting polymer. Morphology and chemistry of its oxidation and reduction in aqueous electrolytes, J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans.1, 1986, 82(8), 2385-2400.
- W. Li, M. Wan, Porous polyaniline films with high conductivity, Synth. Met, 1998, 92(2), 121–126.
- E.M. Geniès, A. Boyle, M.L Apkowski, C. Tsintavis, Polyaniline: A historical survey, Synth. Met, 1990, 36(2), 139–182.
- A.G. MacDiarmid, A.J. Epstein, Polyanilines: a novel class of conducting polymers, Faraday Discuss. Chem. Soc, 1989, 88, 317-332.
- A. Olad, A. Rashidzadeh, Preparation and anticorrosive properties of PANI/Na-MMT and PANI/O-MMT nanocomposites, Prog Org Coat, 2008, 62(3), 293–298.
- M. Mastragostino, Conducting polymers as electrode materials in supercapacitors, Solid State Ion, 2002, 148(3-4), 493–498.
- K. Liu, Y. Zhang, W. Zhang, H. Zheng, G. Su, Charge-discharge process of MnO2 supercapacitor, T Nonferr Met Soc, 2007, 17(3), 649–653.
- S. Chen, J. Zhu, X. Wu, Q. Han, X. Wang, Graphene Oxide−MnO2 Nanocomposites for Supercapacitors, ACS Nano, 2010, 4(5), 2822–2830.
- A. Punya Basnayaka, Farah Alvi, K. Manoj Ram, Robert Tufts, Ashok Kumar, A Comparative Study on Substituted Polyanilines for Supercapacitors, Mater Res Soc Symp Proc, 2012, 1388.
- A. M. Mazrouaa, M. Yahia Abed, N.A. Mansour, M.G. Mohamed, Synthesis and Characterization of Poly O-Anisidine Nanoparticles and their Nanocomposite, J Material Sci Eng, 2012, 1(01), 1-5.
- F. Chouli, I. Radja, E. Morallon, A. Benyoucef, A novel conducting nanocomposite obtained by p-anisidine and aniline with titanium (IV) oxide nanoparticles: Synthesis, Characterization, and Electrochemical properties, Polym. Compos, 2017, 38(S1), E254–E260.
- A. Ali Khan, S. Shaheen, Thermal stability and electrical properties of conducting polymer-based ‘polymeric-inorganic composites: Poly-o-anisidine and poly-o-toluidine Sn (IV) tungstate, Mater. Res. Bull, 2012, 47(12), 4414 – 4419.
- I. Radja, H. Djelad, E. Morallon, A. Benyoucef, Characterization and electrochemical properties of conducting nanocomposites synthesized from p-anisidine and aniline with titanium carbide by chemical oxidative method, Synth Met, 2015, 202, 25–32.
- J. Singh, M.S.L. Hudson, S.K. Pandey, R.S. Tiwari, O.N. Srivastava, Structural and hydrogenation studies of ZnO and Mg doped ZnO nanowires, Int J Hydrogen Energ, 2012, 37(4), 3748–3754.
- T. Abdiryim, R. Jamal, I. Nurulla, Doping effect of organic sulphonic acids on the solid-state synthesized polyaniline, J. Appl. Polym, 2007, 105(2), 576–584.
- J. Longun, B. Buschle, N. Nguyen, M. Lo, J. O. Iroh, Comparison of Poly(o-anisidine) and Poly(o-anisidine-co-aniline) Copolymer Synthesized by Chemical Oxidative Method, J. Appl. Polym., 2010, 118(6), 3123–3130.
- J. Iqbal, T. Jan, M. Ismail, N. Ahmad, A. Arif, M. Khan, A. Arshad, Influence of Mg doping level on morphology, optical, electrical properties and antibacterial activity of ZnO nanostructures, Ceram. Int., 2014, 40(5), 7487–7493.
- K. Luo, N. Shi, C. Sun, Thermal transition of electrochemically synthesized polyaniline, Polym. Degrad. Stabil., 2006, 91(11), 2660–2664.
- M. Neetika, J. Rajni, K. Pramod Singh,
B. Bhattacharya, Vijay Singh, S.K. Tomar, Synthesis and properties of polyaniline, poly(o-anisidine), and poly [aniline-co (o-anisidine)] using potassium iodate oxidizing agent, High Perform. Polym., 2017, 29(3), 266–271.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).