Chemical composition of healthy and infected leaves by Forda riccobonii and Geoica swirskii of Pistacia atlantica Desf. collected from Maaziz region in Morocco
AbstractThe Atlas Pistachio, Pistacia atlantica Desf., from the family of Anacardiaceae is a widespread species in Morocco and widely present in traditional pharmacopoeia 1. This species is frequently infected by Forda riccobonii and Geoica swirskii that are foliar galls-inducing aphids.The aim of this study was to compare the chemical composition of essential oils (EO) of the infected and healthy leaves of Pistacia atlantica. The extraction of essential oils was performed by hydro-distillation using Clevenger, phytochemical screening was realized by revelations tests and chemical composition was identified by gas chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry (GC-MS).Phytochemical analysis showed the presence of some biologically active chemical compounds such as tannins, flavonoids, sterols and triterpenes. The infected leaves were richer in tannins than healthy ones, especially in gallic tannins.Also, the results reaveled that the EO yield of leaves with galls was higher (0.71%) than that of healthy ones (0.11%); also, the first type of leaves was predominated by α-Pinene (19.76%) followed by Terpinen-4-ol, Spathulenol and Sabinene with percentages of 11.94%, 8.90% and 7.63%, respectively. Whereas, healthy leaves were predominated by α-Amorphene (15.05%) followed by Terpinen-4-ol, Spathulenol and α-Muurolene with percentages of 7.17%, 6.46% and 6.20%, respectively.So, we arrived to conclude that infected leaves have a higher level of monoterpenes hydrocarbon than healthy ones that contains interesting molecules useful in differentes domains, especially in the health field.
- M . Fennane, M. Ibn-Tattou, Flore pratique du Maroc, Vol. 2, Angiospermae (Leguminosae-Lentibulariaceae): Inst. Scientifique, 2007, 636p.
- A. Benabid, M. Fennane, Connaissances sur la végétation du Maroc phytogéographie, phytosociologie et séries de végétation, 1994, Lazaroa 14.
- A. Benabid, Flore et écosystèmes du Maroc, évaluation et conservation de la biodiversité, Ed.Ibis Press, 2000, 359pp.
- R. Álvarez, A. Encina, & N. Hidalgo Pérez, Histological aspects of three Pistacia terebinthus galls induced by three different aphids: Paracletus cimiciformis, Forda marginata and Forda formicaria, Plant Science, 2009, 176(2), 303-314.
- E. Charabot, C.L. Gatin, Le parfum chez la plante, Gaston Doin, 1908, 404p.
- D. Zabaras, R.N. Spooner-Hart, S.G. Wyllie, Effects of mechanical wounding on concentration and composition of essential oil from Melaleuca alternifolia leaves, Biochemical systematics and ecology, 2002, 30: 399-412.
- H. Benhssaini, M. Belkhoja, Le pistachier de l’Atlas en Algérie entre la survie et disparition, La feuille et l’aiguille, 2004, 54, 1-2.
- A. Yaaqobi, L. El hafid & B. Haloui, Etude biologique de ¨Pistacia atlantica Desf de la région orientale du Maroc, Biomatec Echo , 2009, Volume 3, N° 6, pp. 39 – 49.
- H. Benmehdi, O. Hasnaoui, O. Benali, F. Salhi, Phytochemical investigation of leaves and fruits extracts of Chamaerops humilis L. J. Mater. Environ, 2012, Sci 3, 320–327.
- D. Dah-nouvlessounon, H. Adoukonou-sagbadja, N. Diarrassouba, H. Sina, A. Adjanohoun, M. Inoussa, D. Akakpo, J.D. Gbenou, S.O. Kotchoni, M. H. Dicko, L. Baba-moussa, Phytochemical analysis and biological activities of Cola nitida Bark, Biochem, 2015, Res. Int. 12. hindawi Publ. Coporation.
- E. Kovàts, Adv. Chromatogr., 1965, 1, 229–247.
- R.P. Adams, Identification of Essential Oils Components by Gas Chromatography/Quadrupole Mass Spectroscopy (Allured, Carol Stream), 2007.
- I. Sifi, N. Gourine, E. M. Gaydou & M. Yousfi, Chemotypes of essential oil of unripe galls of Pistacia atlantica Desf. from Algeria, Nat Prod Res, 2015, 29(20), 1945-1949.
- N. Gourine, I. Sifi, M. E. Gaydou & M. Yousfi, Chemical composition of the essential oil of unripe galls of Pistacia atlantica Desf. from Algeria, The Natural Products Journal, 2011, 1(2), 125-127.
- N. Gourine, M. Yousfi, I. Bombarda, B. Nadjemi, P. Stocker & E.M. Gaydou, Antioxidant activities and chemical composition of essential oil of Pistacia atlantica from Algeria, Industrial Crops Products, 2010, 31, 203-208.
- S. Mecherara-Idjeri, A. Hassani, V. Castola & J. Casanova, Composition of leaf, fruit and gall essential oils of Algerian Pistacia atlantica Desf., J. Essent. Oil Res., 2008, 20(3), 215-219.
- A. Clérivet, I. Alami, F. Breton, D. Garcia, & C. Sanier, Les composés phénoliques et la résistance des plantes aux agents pathogènes, Acta botanica gallica, 1996, 143(6), 531-538.
- A. Sereme, J. Milogo-Rasolodimby, S. Guinko, & M. Nacro, Propriétés therapeutiques des plantes a tanins du Burkina Faso, Pharmacopée et médecine traditionnelle africaine, 2011, 15.
- N. Kakiuchi, M. Hattori, M. Nishizawa, T. Yamagushi, T. Okuda, & T. Namba, Studies on Dental Caries Prevention by Traditional Medicines. VIII.: Inhibitory Effect of Various Tannins on Glucan Synthesis by Glucosyltransferase from Streptococcus mutans, Chemical and pharmaceutical bulletin, 1986, 34(2), 720-725.
- J. Wadhwa, A. Nair, & R. Kumria, Potential of plant mucilages in pharmaceuticals and therapy, Current drug delivery, 2013, 10(2), 198-207.
- A. F. Barrero, M. M. Herrador, J. F. Arteaga, M. Akssira, F. Mellouki, A. Belgarrabe & M. A. Blazquez, Chemical Composition of the Essential Oils of Pistacia atlantica Desf. J., Essent. Oil Res., 2005, 17(1), 52-54.
- O. Tzakou, I. Bazos & A. Yannitsaros, Volatile metabolites of Pistacia atlantica Desf. from Greece, Flavour and fragrance journal, 2007, 22(5), 358-362.
- M. R. Santos, F. V. Moreira, B. P. Fraga, D. P. D. Souza, L. R. Bonjardim, & L. J. Quintans-Junior, Cardiovascular effects of monoterpenes, a review. Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia, 2011, 21(4), 764-771.
- C. Carson, T. Riley, Antimicrobial activity of the major components of the essential oil of Melaleuca alternifolia, Journal of Applied Microbiology, 1995, 78: 264-269.
LicenseAuthors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).