Removal of methylene blue dye from aqueous solution using a superabsorbant hydrogel the polyacrylamide: isotherms and kinetic studies
AbstractThe present work aims the elimination of an organic dye Methylene Blue (MB) by adsorption on the polyacrylamide (PAAM) hydrogel. Several experiments series were then carried out in order to study the influence on the adsorption capacity of certain parameters such as the mass of the adsorbent, the pH, the contact time, the initial dye concentration and the temperature. The maximal capacity is 1620 mg/g it was obtained at T = 25°C, pH = 6, [BM] = 200 ppm and 0.013g of the adsorbent. The adsorption kinetics of the dye on the support is well described by the first-order model. The adsorption isotherms of the adsorbent/adsorbate systems studied are satisfactorily described by the Langmuir mathematical model. On the other hand, the thermodynamic study revealed that adsorption is spontaneous and endothermic.
- S. Barreca, S. Orecchio, A. Pace. The effect of montmorillonite clay in alginate gel beads for polychlorinated biphenyl adsorption: Isothermal and kinetic studies. Appl. Clay Sci., 2014, 99, 220–228.
- L. Kadiri, A. Ouass, Y. Essaadaoui, E.H. Rifi, A. Lebkiri, Coriandrum Sativum seeds as a low-cost green biosorbent for methylene blue dye removal from aqueous solution: spectroscopic kinetic and thermodynamic studies, Mediterr. J. Chem., 2018, 7 (3), 204.
- Q. Li, Y. Zhao, L. Wang, W. Aiqin. Adsorption characteristics of methylene blue onto the N-succinyl-chitosan-g-polyacrylamide/attapulgite composite. Korean J. Chem. Eng., 2011, 28 (8), 1658–1664.
- A. Ahmad, M. Rafatullah, O. Sulaiman, M.H. Ibrahim, R. Hashim. Scavenging behaviour of meranti sawdust in the removal of methylene blue from aqueous solution. J. Hazard. Mater., 2009, 170 (1), 357–365.
- N. Daneshvar, D. Salari, A.R. Khataee, Photocatalytic degradation of azo dye acid red 14 in water: investigation of the effect of operational parameters, J. Photochem. Photobiol. Chem., 2003, 157 (1), 111–116.
- W. Zhang, H. Yan, H. Li, et al. Removal of dyes from aqueous solutions by straw-based adsorbents: Batch and column studies. Chem. Eng. J., 2011, 168 (3), 1120–1127.
- N. Wang, J. Chen, J. Wang, J. Feng, W. Yan, Removal of methylene blue by Polyaniline/TiO2 hydrate: Adsorption kinetic, isotherm and mechanism studies, Powder Technol., 2019, 347, 93–102.
- Momina, M. Rafatullah, S. Ismail, A. Ahmad. Optimization Study for the Desorption of Methylene Blue Dye from Clay Based Adsorbent Coating, Water 2019, 11 (6), 1304.
- S. S., I. Abustan, I. Dahlan, et al., Treatment of Dye Wastewater Using Granular Activated Carbon and Zeolite Filter. Mod. Appl. Sci., 2012, 6 (2).
- Y. Essaadaoui, A. Lebkiri, E.H. Rifi, L. Kadiri, A. Ouass, Adsorption of cobalt from aqueous solutions onto Bark of Eucalyptus. Mediterr. J. Chem., 2018, 7 (2), 145–155.
- D. Sun, X. Zhang, Y. Wu, X. Liu. Adsorption of anionic dyes from aqueous solution on fly ash, J. Hazard. Mater., 2010, 181 (1), 335–342.
- I.A.W. Tan, A.L. Ahmad, B.H. Hameed, Adsorption of basic dye using activated carbon prepared from oil palm shell: batch and fixed bed studies, Desalination, 2008, 225 (1), 13–28.
- K.K.H. Choy, G. McKay, J.F. Porter, Sorption of acid dyes from effluents using activated carbon. Resour. Conserv. Recycl., 1999, 27 (1), 57–71.
- P.C.C. Faria, J.J.M. Órfão, M.F.R. Pereira, Adsorption of anionic and cationic dyes on activated carbons with different surface chemistries. Water Res. 2004, 38 (8), 2043-2052.
- V. Gómez, M.S. Larrechi, M.P. Callao. Kinetic and adsorption study of acid dye removal using activated carbon, Chemosphere, 2007, 69 (7), 1151-1158.
- L. Kadiri, A. Lebkiri, E.H. Rifi, et al. Kinetic studies of adsorption of Cu (II) from aqueous solution by coriander seeds (Coriandrum Sativum), E3S Web Conf., 2018, 37, 02005.
- B.F. Senkal, E. Yavuz, Preparation of poly(vinyl pyrrolidone) grafted sulfonamide based polystyrene resin and its use for the removal of dye from water https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/pat.837 (accessed Aug 25, 2019).
- A. Ouass, Y. Essaadaoui, L. Kadiri, et al., Adsorption of Cr (III) from aqueous solution by two forms of a superabsorbant polymer : parametric study and effect of activation mode. In E3S Web of Conferences; EDP Sciences, 2018, Vol. 37, p 02001.
- A. Ouass, L. Kadiri, Y. Essaadaoui, et al., Removal of trivalent chromium ions from aqueous solutions by Sodium polyacrylate beads. Mediterr. J. Chem., 2018, 7 (2), 125–134.
- Y. Zhao, Y. Chen, M. Li, et al., Adsorption of Hg2+ from aqueous solution onto polyacrylamide/attapulgite. J. Hazard. Mater. 2009, 171 (1), 640–646.
- T.S. Anirudhan, P.S. Suchithra. Adsorption characteristics of humic acid-immobilized amine-modified polyacrylamide/bentonite composite for cationic dyes in aqueous solutions. J. Environ. Sci., 2009, 21 (7), 884-891.
- J. Rahchamani, H.Z. Mousavi, M. Behzad. Adsorption of methyl violet from aqueous solution by polyacrylamide as an adsorbent: Isotherm and kinetic studies, Desalination, 2011, 267 (2-3), 256–260.
- R. Liu, B. Zhang, D. Mei, H. Zhang, J. Liu. Adsorption of methyl violet from aqueous solution by halloysite nanotubes. Desalination, 2011, 268 (1), 111-116.
- D. Belghyti, Y. El Guamri, G. Ztit, et al. Caractérisation physico-chimique des eaux usées d’abattoir en vue de la mise en oeuvre d’un traitement adéquat : cas de Kénitra au Maroc, Afr. Sci. Rev. Int. Sci. Technol., 2009, 5 (2).
- M. Boutayeb, A. Bouzidi, M. Fekhaoui. Etude de la qualité physico-chimique des eaux usées brutes de cinq villes de la région de la Chaouia–Ouardigha (Maroc), Bull. L’institut Sci. Rabat Sect. Sci. Vie 2012, 34 (2), 145–150.
- M. Constantin, I. Asmarandei, V. Harabagiu, et al. Removal of anionic dyes from aqueous solutions by an ion-exchanger based on pullulan microspheres. Carbohydr. Polym., 2013, 91 (1), 74–84.
- F. Deniz, S.D. Saygideger. Investigation of adsorption characteristics of Basic Red 46 onto gypsum: Equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies, Desalination, 2010, 262 (1), 161–165.
- I. Langmuir. THE CONSTITUTION AND FUNDAMENTAL PROPERTIES OF SOLIDS AND LIQUIDS. PART I. SOLIDS, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1916, 38 (11), 2221–2295.
- A. Ouass, I. Ismi, H. Elaidi, et al. Mathematical Modeling of The Adsorption Of Trivalent Chromium By The Sodium Polyacrylate Beads, J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 2017, 8, 3448–3456.
- H. Freundlich. Über die Adsorption in Lösungen, Z. Für Phys. Chem., 1907, 57U (1).
- L. Kadiri, M. Galai, M. Ouakki, et al., Coriandrum Sativum. L Seeds Extract as a Novel Green Corrosion Inhibitor for Mild Steel in 1.0 M Hydrochloric and 0.5 M Sulfuric Solutions. Anal. Bioanal. Chem., 2018, 10, 249–268.
- Y. Essaadaoui, M. Galai, M. Ouakki, et al., Study of the anticorrosive action of eucalyptus camaldulensis extract in case of mild steel in 1.0 M HCl, J. Chem. Technol. Metall., 2019, 81 (7).
- M. Doğan, M. Alkan, Ö. Demirbaş, Y. Özdemir, C. Özmetin, Adsorption kinetics of maxilon blue GRL onto sepiolite from aqueous solutions. Chem. Eng. J., 2006, 124 (1), 89–101.
- K. Elass, A. Laachach, A. Alaoui, M. Azzi, Removal of methylene blue from aqueous solution using ghassoul a low-cost adsorbent, 2010
- Y. Essaadaoui, A. Lebkiri, E. Rifi, L. Kadiri,
A. Ouass, Adsorption of lead by modified Eucalyptus camaldulensis barks : equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies. Desalination Water Treat., 2018, 111, 267–277.
- Y. Yao, F. Xu, M. Chen, Z. Xu, Z. Zhu. Adsorption behavior of methylene blue on carbon nanotubes. Bioresour. Technol., 2010, 101 (9), 3040–3046.
- N. Nasuha, B.H. Hameed, Adsorption of methylene blue from aqueous solution onto NaOH-modified rejected tea. Chem. Eng. J., 2011, 166 (2), 783–786.
- A.T. Paulino, M.R. Guilherme, A.V. Reis, et al., Removal of methylene blue dye from an aqueous media using superabsorbent hydrogel supported on modified polysaccharide. J. Colloid Interface Sci., 2006, 301 (1), 55–62.
- W. Wang, H. Bai, Y. Zhao, et al., Synthesis of chitosan cross-linked 3D network-structured hydrogel for methylene blue removal. Int. J. Biol. Macromol., 2019, 141, 98–107.
- E. Yilmaz, G. Guzel Kaya, H. Deveci. Removal of methylene blue dye from aqueous solution by semi‐interpenetrating polymer network hybrid hydrogel: Optimization through Taguchi method. J. Polym. Sci. Part Polym. Chem., 2019, 57 (10), 1070–1078.
- Y. Lin, G. Fang, Y. Deng, K. Shen, C. Huang,
T. Wu, A pH-sensitive Xylan-based Superabsorbant Hydrogel for the removal of Methylene Blue from water, BioResources, 2019, 14(3), 5573-5585.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).