Batch elimination of cationic dye from aqueous solution by electrocoagulation process
AbstractLike other developing countries, Morocco has undergone a real industrial revolution that generates a huge amount of colored wastewater. Methylene blue (MB) could be considered as commonly model of cationic dyes that are widely used in industries. In the present work, the removal of MB was investigated in the presence of NaCl as electrolyte by electrocoagulation (EC) process. Parameters studied are the nature of electrodes, electrode spacing, initial dye concentration, agitation speed, applied current density, NaCl concentration, and the effect of the initial pH. Stainless steel electrodes have been used as cathode and anode in the electrochemical cell. The performance of the process was evaluated in terms of color removal, chemical oxygen demand (COD), total organic carbon (TOC), electrical power consumption, current efficiency, and the quantity of sludge formed. The results showed that the removal percent of 20 mg/L MB is 100 %, using stainless steel electrodes with an interspace of 1.5 cm and 20 mA/cm² for 6 min in the presence of 0.1 M NaCl at natural pH. COD and TOC removals within 15 min were 45% and 51% respectively. The power consumption, in that case, was 5.84 KWh/m3, while the amount of sludge formed was 1.64 Kg/m3.
- M. Sala, M.C. Gutiérrez-Bouzán, Electrochemical Techniques in Textile Processes and Wastewater Treatment, International Journal of Photoenergy, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/629103.
- A. Sakalis, K. Fytianos, U. Nickel, A. Voulgaropoulos, A comparative study of platinised titanium and Niobe/synthetic diamond as anodes in the electrochemical treatment of textile wastewater, Chem. Eng. J., 2006, 119, 127-133.
- M. Alizadeh, E. Ghahramani, M. Zarrabi and S. Hashemi, Efficient De-colorization of Methylene Blue by Electrocoagulation Method: Comparison of Iron and Aluminum Electrode, Iran. J. Chem. Chem. Eng., 2015, 34, 39-47.
- D.G. Bassyouni, H.A. Hamad, E.-S.Z. El-Ashtoukhy, N.K. Amin, M.M.A. El-Latif, Comparative performance of anodic oxidation and electrocoagulation as clean processes for electrocatalytic degradation of diazo dye Acid Brown 14 in aqueous medium, J. Hazard. Mater., 2017, 335, 178-187.
- A. Mhemdi, M.A. Oturan, N. Oturan, R. Abdelhédi, S. Ammar, Electrochemical advanced oxidation of 2-chlorobenzoic acid using BDD or Pt anode and carbon felt cathode, J. Electroanal. Chem., 2013, 709, 111-117.
- M. Khayet, A.Y. Zahrim, N. Hilal, Modelling and optimization of coagulation of highly concentrated industrial grade leather dye by response surface methodology, Chem. Eng. J., 2011, 167, 77-83.
- Y.M. Slokar, A. Majcen Le Marechal, Methods of decoloration of textile wastewaters, Dyes Pigments, 1998, 37, 335–356.
- N.S. Trivedi, S.A. Mandavgane, Fundamentals of 2, 4 Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid Removal from Aqueous Solutions, Sep. Purif. Rev., 2018, 47, 337–354.
- B. Kamarehie, A. Jafari, M. Ghaderpoori, M. A. Karami, K. Mousavi, A. Ghaderpoury, Catalytic ozonation process using PAC/γ-Fe2O3 to Alizarin Red S degradation from aqueous solutions: a batch study, Chem. Eng. Commun., 2019, 206, 898-908.
- A.Y. Zahrim, N. Hilal, Treatment of highly concentrated dye solution by coagulation/flocculation–sand filtration and nanofiltration, Water Resour. Ind., 2013, 3, 23-34.
- H. Akrout, S. Jellali, L. Bousselmi, Enhancement of methylene blue removal by anodic oxidation using BDD electrode combined with adsorption onto sawdust, Comptes Rendus Chim., 2015, 18, 110-120.
- C. Thakur, V.C. Srivastava, I.D. Mall, Electrochemical treatment of distillery wastewater: Parametric and residue disposal study, Chem. Eng. J., 2009, 148, 496–505.
- M.S. Secula, I. Creţescu, S. Petrescu, An experimental study of indigo carmine removal from aqueous solution by electrocoagulation, Desalination, 2011, 277, 227-235.
- N. Liu, Y. Wu, Removal of methylene blue by electrocoagulation: a study of the effect of operational parameters and mechanism, Ionics, 2019, 25, 3953–3960.
- E. Yuksel, M. Eyvaz, E. Gurbulak, Electrochemical treatment of colour index reactive orange 84 and textile wastewater by using stainless steel and iron electrodes, Environ. Prog. Sustain. Energy, 2013, 32, 60–68.
- T.-H. Kim, C. Park, E.-B. Shin, S. Kim, Decolorization of disperse and reactive dyes by continuous electrocoagulation process, Desalination, 2002, 150, 165–175.
- D. Ghernaout, Advanced oxidation phenomena in electrocoagulation process: a myth or a reality?, Desalination Water Treat., 2013, 51, 7536–7554.
- Z. Ye, J.R. Steter, F. Centellas, P.L. Cabot, E. Brillas, I. Sirés, Photoelectron-Fenton as post-treatment for electrocoagulated benzophenone-3-loaded synthetic and urban wastewater, J. Clean. Prod., 2019, 208, 1393–1402.
- U.D. Patel, J.P. Ruparelia, M.U. Patel, Electrocoagulation treatment of simulated floor-wash containing Reactive Black 5 using iron sacrificial anode, J. Hazard. Mater., 2011, 197, 128–136.
- A. Dalvand, M. Gholami, A. Joneidi, N.M. Mahmoodi, Dye Removal, Energy Consumption and Operating Cost of Electrocoagulation of Textile Wastewater as a Clean Process, CLEAN–Soil Air Water, 2011, 39, 665–672.
- A.K. Golder, N. Hridaya, A.N. Samanta, S. Ray, Electrocoagulation of methylene blue and eosin yellowish using mild steel electrodes, J. Hazard. Mater., 2005, 127, 134–140.
- B.M. Krishna, U.N. Murthy, B. Manoj Kumar, K.S. Lokesh, Electrochemical pretreatment of distillery wastewater using aluminum electrode, J. Appl. Electrochem., 2010, 40, 663–673.
- F. Kirzhner, Y. Zimmels, Y. Shraiber, Combined treatment of highly contaminated winery wastewater, Sep. Purif. Technol., 2008, 63, 38–44.
- J. Feng, Y. Sun, Z. Zheng, J. Zhang, S. Li, Y. Tian, Treatment of tannery wastewater by electrocoagulation, J. Environ. Sci., 2007, 19, 1409–1415.
- C.-L. Lai, K.-S. Lin, Sludge conditioning characteristics of copper chemical mechanical polishing wastewaters treated by electrocoagulation, J. Hazard. Mater., 2006, 136, 183–187.
- H. Zazou, H. Afanga, S. Akhouairi, H. Ouchtak, A.A. Addi, R.A. Akbour, A. Assabbane, J. Douch, A. Elmchaouri, J. Duplay, A. Jada,
M. Hamdani, Treatment of textile industry wastewater by electrocoagulation coupled with electrochemical advanced oxidation process, J. Water Process Eng., 2019, 28, 214–221.
- D.R. Arsand, K. Kümmerer, A. F. Martins, Removal of dexamethasone from aqueous solution and hospital wastewater by electrocoagulation, Sci. Total Environ., 2013, 443, 351–357.
- A.R. Yazdanbakhsh, M.R. Massoudinegad, S. Eliasi, A.S. Mohammadi, The influence of operational parameters on reduce of azithromyin COD from wastewater using the peroxi -electrocoagulation process, J. Water Process Eng., 2015, 6, 51–57.
- A.K. Golder, A.N. Samanta, S. Ray, Removal of Cr3+ by electrocoagulation with multiple electrodes: Bipolar and monopolar configurations, J. Hazard. Mater., 2007, 141, 653–661.
- F. Akbal, S. Camcı, Copper, chromium and nickel removal from metal plating wastewater by electrocoagulation, Desalination, 2011, 269, 214–222.
- A.H. Mahvi, S.J.A. Ebrahimi, A. Mesdaghinia, H. Gharibi, M.H. Sowlat, Performance evaluation of a continuous bipolar electrocoagulation/electrooxidation–electroflotation (ECEO–EF) reactor designed for simultaneous removal of ammonia and phosphate from wastewater effluent, J. Hazard. Mater., 2011, 192, 1267–1274.
- M. Murugananthan, G.B. Raju, S. Prabhakar, Removal of sulfide, sulfate and sulfite ions by electrocoagulation, J. Hazard. Mater., 2004, 109, 37–44.
- M. Rafatullah, O. Sulaiman, R. Hashim, A. Ahmad, Adsorption of methylene blue on low-cost adsorbents: A review, J. Hazard. Mater., 2010, 177, 70–80.
- K.S. Hashim, A.H. Hussein, S.L. Zubaidi, P. Kot, L. Kraidi, R. Alkhaddar, A. Shaw, R. Alwash, Effect of initial pH value on the removal of reactive black dye from water by electrocoagulation (EC) method, J. Phys. Conf. Ser., 2019, 1294, 072017.
- M.M. Emamjomeh, M. Mousazadeh, N. Mokhtari, H.A. Jamali, M. Makkiabadi, Z. Naghdali, K.S. Hashim, R. Ghanbari, Simultaneous removal of phenol and linear alkylbenzene sulfonate from automotive service station wastewater: Optimization of coupled electrochemical and physical processes, Sep. Sci. Technol., 2019, 1–11.
- K.S. Hashim, N.H. Al-Saati, S.S. Alquzweeni, S.L. Zubaidi, P. Kot, L. Kraidi, A.H. Hussein, R. Alkhaddar, A. Shaw, R. Alwash, Decolourization of dye solutions by electrocoagulation: an investigation of the effect of operational parameters, IOP Conf. Ser. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2019, 584, 012024.
- K.S. Hashim, R. AlKhaddar, A. Shaw, P. Kot, D. Al-Jumeily, R. Alwash, M.H. Aljefery, in Advances in Water Resources Engineering and Management, 2020, 39, 219–235.
- K.S. Hashim, I. Adeola Idowu, N. Jasim, R. Al Khaddar, A. Shaw, D. Phipps, P. Kot, M. Ortoneda Pedrola, A.W. Alattabi, M. Abdulredha, R. Alwash, K.H. Teng, K.H. Joshi, M. Hashim Aljefery, Removal of phosphate from River water using a new baffle plates electrochemical reactor, MethodsX, 2018, 5, 1413–1418.
- C.-T. Wang, W.-L. Chou, Y.-M. Kuo, Removal of COD from laundry wastewater by electrocoagulation/electroflotation, J. Hazard. Mater., 2009, 164, 81–86.
- K. Gautam, S. Kumar, S. Kamsonlian, Decolourization of Reactive Dye from Aqueous Solution using Electrocoagulation: Kinetics and Isothermal Study, Z. Für Phys. Chem., 2019, 233, 1447–1468.
- K.S. Hashim, A. Shaw, R. Al Khaddar, M.O. Pedrola, D. Phipps, Iron removal, energy consumption and operating cost of electrocoagulation of drinking water using a new flow column reactor, J. Environ. Manage., 2017, 189, 98–108.
- S. Aoudj, A. Khelifa, N. Drouiche, M. Hecini, H. Hamitouche, Electrocoagulation process applied to wastewater containing dyes from textile industry, Chem. Eng. Process. Process Intensif., 2010, 49, 1176–1182.
- N. Modirshahla, M.A. Behnajady, S. Kooshaiian, Investigation of the effect of different electrode connections on the removal efficiency of Tartrazine from aqueous solutions by electrocoagulation, Dyes Pigments, 2007, 74, 249–257.
- M.S. Mahmoud, J.Y. Farah, T.E. Farrag, Enhanced removal of Methylene Blue by electrocoagulation using iron electrodes, Egypt. J. Pet., 2013, 22, 211–216.
- K.S. Hashim, A. Shaw, R. Al Khaddar, M.O. Pedrola, D. Phipps, Energy-efficient electrocoagulation using a new flow column reactor to remove nitrate from drinking water – Experimental, statistical, and economic approach, J. Environ. Manage., 2017, 196, 224–233.
- V. Khandegar, A.K. Saroha, Electrocoagulation for the treatment of textile industry effluent – A review, J. Environ. Manage., 2013, 128, 949–963.
- G.R. Mohammed, T.M. Zewail, Y.A. El-Tawail, Investigation of color removal from methylene blue containing solutions by electrocoagulation/flotation in a batch-agitated electrochemical reactor, Environ. Prog. Sustain. Energy, 2014, 33, 369–377.
- K.S. Hashim, A. Shaw, R. Al Khaddar, M. Ortoneda Pedrola, D. Phipps, Defluoridation of drinking water using a new flow column-electrocoagulation reactor (FCER)-Experimental, statistical, and economic approach, J. Environ. Manage., 2017, 197, 80–88.
- B.A. Abdulhadi, P. Kot, K.S. Hashim, A. Shaw, R.A. Khaddar, Influence of current density and electrodes spacing on reactive red 120 dye removal from dyed water using electrocoagulation/electroflotation (EC/EF) process, IOP Conf. Ser. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2019, 584, 012035.
- N. Adhoum, L. Monser, N. Bellakhal, J.-E. Belgaied, Treatment of electroplating wastewater containing Cu2+, Zn2+ and Cr(VI) by electrocoagulation, J. Hazard. Mater., 2004, 112, 207–213.
- Z. Isik, E.B. Arikan, Y. Ozay, H.D. Bouras, N. Dizge, Electrocoagulation and electrooxidation pre-treatment effect on fungal treatment of pistachio processing wastewater, Chemosphere, 2020, 244, 125383.
- P. Senthil Kumar, N. Umaiyambika, R. Gayathri, Dye removal from aqueous solution by electrocoagulation process using stainless steel electrodes, Environ. Eng. Manag. J., 2010, 9, 1031–1037.
- C. Guohua, C. Xueming, Y. Po Lock, Electrocoagulation and Electroflotation of Restaurant Wastewater, J. Environ. Eng., 2000, 126, 858–863.
- W.M. Salih, S.K. Alnasri, A.A.A. Abdalaali, Removal of Boron from Simulated Iraqi Surface Water by Electrocoagulation Method, J. Eng., 2012, 18, 1266-1284.
- M. Khemis, J.-P. Leclerc, G. Tanguy, G. Valentin, F. Lapicque, Treatment of industrial liquid wastes by electrocoagulation: Experimental investigations and an overall interpretation model, Chem. Eng. Sci., 2006, 61, 3602–3609.
- K.S. Hashim, R. Al Khaddar, N. Jasim, A. Shaw, D. Phipps, P. Kot, M.O. Pedrola, A.W. Alattabi, M. Abdulredha, R. Alawsh, Electrocoagulation as a green technology for phosphate removal from river water, Sep. Purif. Technol., 2019, 210, 135–144.
- A.S. Fajardo, R.C. Martins, D.R. Silva, C.A. Martínez-Huitle, R.M. Quinta-Ferreira, Dye wastewaters treatment using batch and recirculation flow electrocoagulation systems, J. Electroanal. Chem., 2017, 801, 30–37.
- M. Kobya, F. Ulu, U. Gebologlu, E. Demirbas, M.S. Oncel, Treatment of potable water containing a low concentration of arsenic with electrocoagulation: Different connection modes and Fe–Al electrodes, Sep. Purif. Technol., 2011, 77, 283–293.
- M.Y.A. Mollah, S.R. Pathak, P.K. Patil, M. Vayuvegula, T.S. Agrawal, J.A.G. Gomes, M. Kesmez, D.L. Cocke, Treatment of orange II azo-dye by electrocoagulation (EC) technique in a continuous flow cell using sacrificial iron electrodes, J. Hazard. Mater., 2004, 109, 165–171.
- O. Sahu, B. Mazumdar, P.K. Chaudhari, Treatment of wastewater by electrocoagulation: a review, Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res., 2014, 21, 2397–2413.
- M.Y.A. Mollah, P. Morkovsky, J.A.G. Gomes, M. Kesmez, J. Parga, D.L. Cocke, Fundamentals, present and future perspectives of electrocoagulation, J. Hazard. Mater., 2004, 114, 199–210.
- İ. Arslan-Alaton, I. Kabdaşlı, B. Vardar, O. Tünay, Electrocoagulation of simulated reactive dyebath effluent with aluminum and stainless steel electrodes, J. Hazard. Mater., 2009, 164, 1586–1594.
- K.A. Selim, F.I.E. Hosiny, M.A. A. Khalek, I. Osama, Kinetics and Thermodynamics of Some Heavy Metals Removal from Industrial Effluents Through Electro-Flotation Process, Colloid Surf. Sci., 2017, 2, 47-53.
- M. Abdel Khalek, F. El-Hosiny, K. Selim, I. Osama, Produced Water Treatment Using a New Designed Electroflotation Cell, Int. J. Res. Ind. Eng., 2017, 6, 823–883.
- F. El-Hosiny, M. Abdeldayem AbdelKhalek, K. Selim, I. Osama, A Designed Electro-flotation Cell for Dye Removal from Wastewater, J. Appl. Res. Ind. Eng., 2017, 4, 133–147.
- R. Amin, F.I. El-Hosiny, M.A. AbdelKhalek, S.S. Ibrahim, A. Yehia, Statistical Design of Column Flotation Parameters for Beneficiation of Egyptian Oil Shale, Int. J. Res. Ind. Eng., 2017, 4, 133–147.
- F.I. El-Hosiny, M.A. Abdel-Khalek, K.A. Selim, I. Osama, Physicochemical study of dye removal using electro-coagulation-flotation process, Physicochem. Probl. Miner. Process., 2018, 54, 321-333.
- M.A. Abdel Khalek, F.I. El Hosiny, K.A. Selim, I. Osama, A novel continuous electroflotation cell design for industrial effluent treatment, Sustain. Water Resour. Manag., 2019, 5, 457–466.
- J.A.G. Gomes, P. Daida, M. Kesmez, M. Weir, H. Moreno, J.R. Parga, G. Irwin, H. McWhinney, T. Grady, E. Peterson, D.L. Cocke, Arsenic removal by electrocoagulation using combined Al–Fe electrode system and characterization of products, J. Hazard. Mater., 2007, 139, 220–231.
- T. Kim, T.-K. Kim, K.-D. Zoh, Removal mechanism of heavy metal (Cu, Ni, Zn, and Cr) in the presence of cyanide during electrocoagulation using Fe and Al electrodes, J. Water Process Eng., 2020, 33, 101109.
LicenseAuthors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).