Adsorption of Methylene Blue from aqueous solution using Senegal River Typha australis
AbstractIn this work, batch adsorption experiments were carried out for the removal of Methylene Blue (MB) from aqueous solutions using Typha australis leaf as a low cost adsorbent. The effects of some variables governing the efficiency of the process such as adsorbent mass, pH, ionic strength, contact time and temperature were investigated. The adsorption kinetic data were analyzed using the Pseudo First Order (PFO) and Pseudo Second Order (PSO) models. The experimental equilibrium data were analyzed using Langmuir and Freundlich isotherm models. The results show that the PSO model is the best for describing the adsorption of MB by Typha australis for all initial MB concentrations. The equilibrium data fitted well with the Langmuir model with the monolayer adsorption capacity for MB-Typha australis leaf system was of 103.12 mg g-1. The values of activation parameters such as free energy (ΔG°), enthalpy (ΔH°) and entropy (ΔS°) were also determined as - 4.44 kJ mol−1, 55.13 kJ mol−1 and 203.21 J mol−1 K−1, respectively. The thermodynamics parameters of MB-Typha australis system indicate spontaneous and endothermic process. These results indicate that the Typha australis leaf can be feasibly employed for the eradication of MB from aqueous solution.
- M.L.F.A. De Castro, M.L.B. Abad, D.A.G. Sumalinog, R.R.M. Abarca, P. Paoprasert, M.D.G. de Luna, Adsorption of Methylene Blue dye and Cu (II) ions on EDTA-modified bentonite: Isotherm, kinetic and thermodynamic studies; Sustainable Environment Research, 2018, 28, 197-205.
- M. Wainwright, K.B. Crossley, Methylene blue a therapeutic dye for all seasons, J. Chemother., 2002, 14, 431-443.
- F.R. Frankenburg, R.J. Baldessarini, Neurosyphilis, malaria, and the discovery of antipsychotic agents, Harv. Rev. Psychiatry, 2008, 16, 299-307.
- Z. Aksu, S. Tezer, Equilibrium and kinetic modelling of biosorption of remazol black B by Rhizopus arrhizus in a batch system: effect of temperature, Process Biochem., 2000, 36,
- M.S. Lucas, J.A. Peres, Decolorization of the azo dye Reactive Black 5 by Fenton and photo-Fenton oxidation, Dyes Pigm., 2006, 71,
- M. Albert, M.S. Lessin, B.F. Gilchrist, Methylene blue: dangerous dye for neonates, J. Pediatr. Surg., 2003, 38, 1244-1245.
- D.Y. Ma, X.H. Wang, C. Song, S.G. Wang, M.H. Fan, X.M. Li, Aerobic granulation for methylene blue biodegradation in a sequencing batch reactor, Desalination, 2011, 1-3, 233-238.
- S. Singh, V.C. Srivastava, I.D. Mall, Electrochemical Treatment of Dye Bearing Effluent with Different Anode–Cathode Combinations: Mechanistic Study and Sludge Analysis, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 2014, 26, 10743-10752.
- S. Senthilkumar, C.A. Basha, M. Perumalsamy, H.J. Prabhu, Electrochemical oxidation and aerobic biodegradation with isolated bacterial strains for dye wastewater: Combined and integrated approach. Electrochimica Acta, 2012, 77, 171-178.
- M. Liu, Z. Lü, Z. Chen, S. Yu, C. Gao, Comparison of reverse osmosis and nanofiltration membranes in the treatment of biologically treated textile effluent for water reuse, Desalination, 2011, 281, 372–378.
- A.H. Jawad, A.F.M. Alkarkhi, N.S.A. Mubarak. Photocatalytic decolorization of methylene blue by an immobilized TiO2 ﬁlm under visible light irradiation: Optimization using response surface methodology (RSM), Desalination and Water Treatment, 2015, 56, 161-172.
- R. Liu, H.M. Chiu, C.S. Shiau, R.Y.L. Yeh, Y.T. Hung, Degradation and sludge production of textile dyes by Fenton and photo-Fenton processes, Dyes and Pigments, 2007, 1, 1–6.
- Y. Miyah, A. Lahrichi, M. Idrissi, Kh. Anis, R. Kachkoul, N. Idrissi, S. Lairini, V. Nenov, F. Zerrouq, Removal of cationic dye « Cristal violet » in aqueous solution by the local clay, J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 2017, 10, 3570-3582.
- B. Kayranli, Adsorption of textile dyes onto iron based waterworks sludge from aqueous solution; isotherm, kinetic and thermodynamic study, Chemical Engineering Journal, 2011, 173, 782–791.
- M.T. Yagub, T.K. Sen, S. Afroze, H.M. Ang, Dye and its removal from aqueous solution by adsorption: A review, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 2014, 209, 172–184.
- T.S. Anirudhan, M. Ramachandran, Adsorptive removal of basic dyes from aqueous solutions by surfactant modified bentonite clay (organoclay): Kinetic and competitive adsorption isotherm, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 2015, 95, 215–225.
- M.S. Mohy Eldin, M.H. Gouda, M.E. Youssef, Yehia M.S. El-Shazly, H.A. Farag, Removal of Methylene Blue by Amidoxime Polyacrylonitrile-Grafted Cotton Fabrics: Kinetic, Equilibrium, and Simulation Studies, Fibers and Polymers, 2016, 11, 1884-1897.
- T.L. Silva, A. Ronix, O. Pezoti, L.S. Souza, P.K.T. Leandro, K.C. Bedin, V.C. Almeida, Mesoporous activated carbon from industrial laundry sewage sludge: Adsorption studies of reactive dye Remazol Brilliant Blue R, Chemical Engineering Journal, 2016, 303, 467–476.
- S.S. Salih, T.K. Ghosh, Preparation and characterization of bioadsorbent beads for chromium and zinc ions adsorption, Cogent Environmental Science, 2017, 3, 1401577.
- S.S. Salih, T.K. Ghosh, Preparation and Characterization of Chitosan-Coated Diatomaceous Earth for Hexavalent Chromium Removal, Environmental Processes, 2018, 5, 23-39.
- S.S. Salih, T.K. Ghosh, Highly efficient competitive removal of Pb (II) and Ni (II) by chitosan/diatomaceous earth composite, Journal of environmental chemical engineering, 2018, 6, 435-443.
- S.S. Salih, A. Mahdi, M. Kadhom, T.K. Ghosh, Competitive adsorption of As (III) and As (V) onto chitosan/diatomaceous earth adsorbent, J. Environ. Chem. Eng., 2019, 5, 103407.
- S.S. Salih, H.N. Mohammed, G.H. Abdullah,
M. Kadhom, T.K. Ghosh, Simultaneous Removal of Cu(II), Cd(II), and Industrial Dye onto a Composite Chitosan Biosorbent, Journal of Polymers and the Environment, 2019, 1-12.
- C. Djilani, R. Zaghdoudi, F. Djazi, B. Bouchekima, A. Lallam, A. Modarressi, M. Rogalski, Adsorption of dyes on activated carbon prepared from apricot stones and commercial activated carbon, Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2015, 53, 112–121.
- A.H. Jawad, R.A. Rashid, R.M.A. Mahmuod, M.A.M. Ishak, N.N. Kasima, K. Ismail, Adsorption of methylene blue onto coconut (Cocos nucifera) leaf: Optimization, isotherm and kinetic studies, Desalination and Water Treatment, 2016, 19, 8839–8853.
- A.H. Jawad, A.M. Kadhum, Y.S. Ngoh, Application of dragon fruit (Hylocereus polyrhizus) peels as low-cost biosorbent for adsorption of methylene blue from aqueous solution: kinetics, equilibrium and thermodynamics studies, Desalin. Water Treat., 2018, 109, 231–240.
- A.H. Jawad, A.S. Waheeb, R.A. Rashid, W.I. Nawawi, E. Yousif, Equilibrium Isotherms, Kinetics, and Thermodynamics Studies of Methylene Blue Adsorption on Pomegranate (Punica granatum) Peels as a Natural Low–Cost Biosorbent, Desalin. Water Treat., 2018, 105, 322–331.
- A.H. Jawad, Y.D. Ngoh, K.A. Radzun, Utilization of watermelon (Citrullus lanatus) rinds as a natural low-cost biosorbent for adsorption of methylene blue: kinetic, equilibrium and thermodynamic studies, Journal of Taibah University for Science, 2018, 4, 371–381.
- A.D. N'diaye, C. Boudokhane, M.B. Elkory, M. Kankou, H. Dhaouadi, Methyl parathion pesticide removal from aqueous solution using Senegal River Typha Australis, Water Science and Technology: Water Supply, 2018, 18, 1545-1553.
- S.M. Anisuzzaman, C.G. Joseph, W. M. A. B. Wan Daud, D. Krishnaiah, H.S. Yee, Preparation and characterization of activated carbon from Typha orientalis leaves, Int. J. Ind. Chem., 2015, 6, 9–21.
- Y.S. Ho, G. McKay, Sorption of Dye from Aqueous Solution by Peat, Chemical Engineering Journal, 70, 1998, 115-124.
- Y.S. HO, G. McKay, Pseudo-second order model for sorption processes, Proc. Biochem., 1999, 34, 451-465.
- I. Langmuir, The adsorption of gases on plane surfaces of glass, mica and platinum, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1918, 9, 1361-1403.
- H.M.F. Freundlich, Over the adsorption in solution, J. Phys Chem., 1906, 57, 385-470.
- A.D. N’Diaye, C. Boudokhane, M. Kankou, H. Dhaouadi, Potential of rice husk ash in atrazine removal, Chemistry and Ecology, 2019, 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1080/02757540.2019.1604692.
- M. Doğan, H. Abak, M. Alkan, Adsorption of methylene blue onto hazelnut shell: Kinetics, mechanism and activation parameters. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2009, 172-181.
- W. Wei, L. Yang, W.H. Zhong, S.Y. Li, J. Cui, Z.G. Wei, Fast removal of methylene blue from aqueous solution by adsorption onto poorly crystalline hydroxyapatite nanoparticles, Dig. J. Nanomater. Biostruct., 2015, 19, 1343–1363.
- Y. Li, Y. Zhang, Y. Zhang, G. Wang, S. Li, R. Han, W. Wei, Reed biochar supported hydroxyapatite nanocomposite: Characterization and reactivity for methylene blue removal from aqueous media, Journal of Molecular Liquids, 2018, 263, 53–63.
- M. Boumediene, H. Benaïssa, B. George, S. Molina, A. Merlin, Effects of pH and ionic strength on methylene blue removal from synthetic aqueous solutions by sorption onto orange peel and desorption study; J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 2018, 6, 1700-1711.
- A.H. Jawad, R.A. Rashid, M.A.M. Ishak, L.D. Wilson, Adsorption of methylene blue onto activated carbon developed from biomass waste by H2SO4 activation: kinetic, equilibrium and thermodynamic studies, Desalin Water Treat., 2016, 52, 25194–25206.
- Y. Bulut, H. Aydın, A kinetics and thermodynamics study of methylene blue adsorption on wheat shells, Desalination, 2006, 194, 259–267.
- M. Dogan, M. Alkan, A. Türkyılmaz, Y. Özdemir, Kinetics and mechanism of removal of methylene blue by adsorption onto perlite, J. Hazard Mater., 2004, 109, 141–148.
- O. Hamdaoui, Batch study of liquid-phase adsorption of methylene blue using cedar sawdust and crushed brick, J. Hazard Mater., 2006, 135, 264–273.
- M. Dogan, Y. Özdemir, M. Alkan, Adsorption kinetics and mechanism of cationic methyl violet and methylene blue dyes onto sepiolite, Dyes Pigments, 2007, 3, 701–713.
- D. Kavitha, C. Namasivayam, Experimental and kinetic studies on methylene blue adsorption by coir pith carbon, Bioresour. Technol., 2007, 1, 14–21.
- Z. Shahryari, A.S. Goharrizi, M. Azadi, Experimental study of methylene blue adsorption from aqueous solutions onto carbon nano tubes, International Journal of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering, 2010, 2, 16-028.
- S. Nethaji, A. Sivasamy, A.B. Mandal, Adsorption isotherms, kinetics and mechanism for the adsorption of cationic and anionic dyes onto carbonaceous particles prepared from Juglans regia shell biomass, Int. J. Environ. Sci. Technol., 2013, 10, 231–242.
- G. Annadurai, R.S. Juang, D.J. Lee, Use of cellulose-based wastes for adsorption of dyes from aqueous solutions, J. Hazard Mater., 2002, 3, 263–274.
- V.J.P. Vilar, C.M.S. Botelho, R.A.R. Boaventura, Methylene blue adsorption by algal biomass based materials: biosorbents characterization and process behaviour, J. Hazard Mater., 2007, 147, 120–132.
- L.S. Oliveira, A.S. Franca, T.M. Alves, S.D.F. Rocha, Evaluation of untreated coffee husks as potential biosorbents for treatment of dye contaminated waters, J. Hazard Mater., 2008, 155, 507–512.
- N.A. Oladoja, I.O. Asia, C.O. Aboluwoye, Y.B. Oladimeji, A.O. Ashogbon, Studies on the sorption of basic dye by rubber (Hevea brasiliensis) seed shell, Turk. J. Eng. Environ. Sci., 2008, 32, 143–152.
- B.H. Hameed, D.K. Mahmoud, A.L. Ahmad, Equilibrium modeling and kinetic studies on the adsorption of basic dye by a low-cost adsorbent: coconut (Cocos nucifera) bunch waste, J. Hazard Mater., 2008, 158, 65–72.
- H. Demir, A. Top, D. Balkose, S. Ulku, Dye adsorption behavior of Luffa cylindrical fibers, J. Hazard Mater., 2008, 153, 389–394.
- F.A. Pavan, E.C. Lima, S.L.P. Dias, A.C. Mazzocato, Methylene blue biosorption from aqueous solutions by yellow passion fruit waste, J. Hazard Mater., 2008, 150, 703–712.
- M.T. Uddin, M.A. Islam, S. Mahmud, M. Rukanuzzaman, Adsorptive removal of methylene blue by tea waste, J. Hazard Mater., 2009, 164, 53–60.
- K. Amela, M.A. Hassen, D. Kerroum, Isotherm and kinetic study of biosorption of cationic dye onto banana peel. Energy Procedia, 2012, 19, 286–295.
- F. Moubarak, R. Atmani, I. Maghri, M. Elkouali, M. Talbi, M.L. Bouamrani, M. Salouhi, A. Kenz, Elimination of methylene blue dye with natural adsorbent ‘banana peels powder’, Glob J. Sci. Front. Res B. Chem., 2014, 14, 39–44.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).