Adsorption Study of Malachite Green Removal from Aqueous Solution Using Cu/M3+ (M3+=Al, Cr) Layered Double Hydroxide
AbstractLayered double hydroxide (LDH) Cu/Al and Cu/Cr had been used as adsorbent of malachite green (MG) in aqueous solution. The properties of Cu/Al and Cu/Cr LDHs were analyzed by X-ray diffraction, surface area analysis (BET) and FTIR spectroscopy. Adsorption study of MG was achieved at pH 9. Adsorption of MG follows the pseudo-second-order kinetic model. Langmuir isotherm was suitable for adsorption of MG on both LDH with a maximum adsorption capacity of 59.52 mg/g. The thermodynamic study indicated that the adsorption process is physisorption, spontaneous, and endothermic process. Adsorption of MG onto LDHs involve the acid-base interaction between adsorbent and adsorbate.
- M. T. Yagub, T.K. Sen, S. Afroze, H.M. Ang, Dye and its removal from aqueous solution by adsorption: A review, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 2014, 209, 172–184.
- C. Wang, A. Yediler, D. Lienert, Z. Wang, A. Kettrup, Toxicity evaluation of reactive dyestuffs, auxiliaries and selected effluents in textile finishing industry to luminescent bacteria Vibrio fischeri, Chemosphere, 2002, 46, 339–344.
- A. Kausar, M. Iqbal, A. Javed, K. Aftab, Z.H. Nazli, H.N. Bhatti, S. Nouren, Dyes adsorption using clay and modified clay: A review, Journal of Molecular Liquids, 2018, 256, 395–407.
- G. Darmograi, B. Prelot, G. Layrac, D. Tichit,
G. Martin-Gassin, F. Salles, J. Zajac, Study of Adsorption and Intercalation of Orange-Type Dyes into Mg-Al Layered Double Hydroxide, J Phys Chem C, 2015, 119, 23388–23397.
- G. K. Sarma, S. Sen Gupta, K.G. Bhattacharyya, Removal of hazardous basic dyes from aqueous solution by adsorption onto kaolinite and acid-treated kaolinite: kinetics, isotherm and mechanistic study, SN Appl Sci., 2019, 1, 211.
- Momina, M. Rafatullah, S. Ismail, A. Ahmad, Optimization Study for the Desorption of Methylene Blue Dye from Clay Based Adsorbent Coating, Water, 2019, 11, 1304.
- A. Bennani Karim, B. Mounir, M. Hachkar,
M. Bakasse, A. Yaacoubi, Adsorption/desorption behavior of cationic dyes on Moroccan clay: Equilibrium and mechanism, J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 2017, 8, 1082–1096.
- M. Oktriyanti, N.R. Palapa, R. Mohadi, A. Lesbani, Modification Of Zn-Cr Layered Double Hydroxide With Keggin Ion, Indones. J. Environ. Manag. Sustain., 2019, 3, 93–99.
- Y. Xu, Z. Li, K. Su, T. Fan, L. Cao, Mussel-inspired modification of PPS membrane to separate and remove the dyes from the wastewater, Chem. Eng. J., 2018, 341, 371–382.
- A.S. Kalamdhad, J. Singh, K. Dhamodharan, Advances in Waste Management, Springer Singapore: Singapore, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-0215-2.
- X. Tao, Y. Han, C. Sun, L. Huang, D. Xu, Plasma modification of NiAlCe–LDH as improved photocatalyst for organic dye wastewater degradation, Appl. Clay Sci., 2019, 172, 75–79.
- N.R. Palapa, R. Mohadi, A. Lesbani, Adsorption of direct yellow dye from aqueous solution by Ni/Al and Zn/Al layered double hydroxides, Yogyakarta, Indonesia, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5064978.
- T. Taher, D. Rohendi, R. Mohadi, A. Lesbani, Thermal and Acid Activation (TAA) of bentonite as an adsorbent for removal of methylene blue: A kinetics and thermodynamic study. Chiang Mai J. Sci., 2018, 45, 1770–1781.
- Z. Noorimotlagh, S.A. Mirzaee, S.S. Martinez, S. Alavi, M. Ahmadi, N. Jaafarzadeh, Adsorption of a textile dye in activated carbons prepared from DVD and CD wastes modified with multi-wall carbon nanotubes: Equilibrium isotherms, kinetics and thermodynamic study, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 2019, 141, 290–301.
- R. Foroutan, R. Mohammadi, J. Razeghi, B. Ramavandi, Performance of algal activated carbon/Fe3O4 magnetic composite for cationic dyes removal from aqueous solutions, Algal Research, 2019, 40, 101509.
- K.-W. Jung, B.H. Choi, C.M. Dao, Y.J. Lee, J.W. Choi, K.-H. Ahn, S.-H. Lee, Aluminum carboxylate-based metal-organic frameworks for effective adsorption of anionic azo dyes from aqueous media, Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 2018, 59, 149–159.
-U. Tezcan Un, F. Ates, Low-cost adsorbent prepared from poplar sawdust for removal of disperse orange 30 dye from aqueous solutions, Int J Environ Sci Technol, 2019, 16, 899–908.
-B.H. Hameed, M.I. El-Khaiary, Malachite green adsorption by rattan sawdust: Isotherm, kinetic and mechanism modeling, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2008, 159, 574–579.
- O. Segun Esan, The Removal of Single and Binary Basic Dyes from Synthetic Wastewater Using Bentonite Clay Adsorbent. Am. J. Polym. Sci. Technol., 2019, 5, 16-28.
- T. Taher, D. Rohendi, R. Mohadi, A. Lesbani, Congo red dye removal from aqueous solution by acid-activated bentonite from sarolangun: kinetic, equilibrium, and thermodynamic studies, Arab Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 2019, 26, 125–136.
- N.R. Palapa, B. R. Rahayu, T. Taher, A. Lesbani, R. Mohadi, Kinetic Adsorption of Direct Yellow Onto Zn/Al and Zn/Fe Layered Double Hydroxides, sci technol indones, 2019, 4, 101-104.
- Z. Yang, F. Wang, C. Zhang, G. Zeng, X. Tan, Z. Yu, Y. Zhong, H. Wang, F. Cui, Utilization of LDH-based materials as potential adsorbents and photocatalysts for the decontamination of dyes wastewater: a review, RSC Adv, 2016, 6, 79415–79436.
- M.V. Bukhtiyarova, A review on effect of synthesis conditions on the formation of layered double hydroxides, Journal of Solid State Chemistry, 2019, 269, 494–506.
- D. Tichit, G. Layrac, C. Gérardin, Synthesis of layered double hydroxides through continuous flow processes: A review, Chemical Engineering Journal, 2019, 369, 302–332.
- J. Qu, L. Sha, C. Wu, Q. Zhang, Applications of Mechanochemically Prepared Layered Double Hydroxides as Adsorbents and Catalysts: A Mini-Review, Nanomaterials, 2019, 9, 80.
- H. Zhang, H. Chen, S. Azat, Z.A. Mansurov, X. Liu, J. Wang, X. Su, R. Wu, Super adsorption capability of rhombic dodecahedral Ca-Al layered double oxides for Congo red removal, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2018, 768, 572–581.
- F.Z. Mahjoubi, A. Elhalil, R. Elmoubarki, M. Sadiq, A. Khalidi, O. Cherkaoui, N. Barka, Performance of Zn‐, Mg‐ and Ni‐Al layered double hydroxides in treating industrial textile wastewater, Journal of Applied Surfaces and Interfaces, 2017, 2, 1‐11.
- S.A. Khan, S.B. Khan, A.M. Asiri, Layered double hydroxide of Cd-Al/C for the Mineralization and De-coloration of Dyes in Solar and Visible Light Exposure, Sci Rep., 2016, 6, 1-15.
- Z. Bai, C. Hu, H. Liu, J. Qu, Selective adsorption of fluoride from drinking water using NiAl-layered metal oxide film electrode, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 2019, 539, 146–151.
-M. Szabados, Z. Kónya, A. Kukovecz, P. Sipos, I. Pálinkó, Structural reconstruction of mechanochemically disordered CaFe-layered double hydroxide, Appl. Clay Sci., 2019, 174, 138–145.
-X. Duan, J. Lu, D.G. Evans, Assembly Chemistry of Anion-intercalated Layered Materials, Modern Inorganic Synthetic Chemistry, 2011, 375–404. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-53599-3.10017-4.
- X.J. Liao, G.S. Chen, A hybrid hydrogel based on clay nanoplatelets and host-guest inclusion complexes, Chinese Chem. Lett., 2016, 27,
- C. Lei, M. Pi, P. Kuang, Y. Guo, F. Zhang, Organic dye removal from aqueous solutions by hierarchical calcined Ni-Fe layered double hydroxide: Isotherm, kinetic and mechanism studies, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 2017, 496, 158–166.
- F. Amor, A. Diouri, I. Ellouzi, F. Ouanji, M. Kacimi, High efficient photocatalytic activity of Zn-Al-Ti layered double hydroxides
nanocomposite, MATEC Web Conf., 2018, 149. https://doi.org/10.1051/matecconf/201814901087.
- A. Smalenskaite, L. Pavasaryte, T.C.K. Yang, A. Kareiva, Undoped and Eu3++ doped magnesium-aluminium layered double hydroxides: Peculiarities of intercalation of organic anions and investigation of luminescence properties, Materials, 2019, 12, 736.
- H. Wang, G. Fan, C. Zheng, X. Xiang, F. Li, Facile sodium alginate assisted assembly of Ni-Al layered double hydroxide nanostructures, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 2010, 49, 2759–2767.
- C.A. Antonyraj, P. Koilraj, S. Kannan, Synthesis of delaminated LDH: A facile two-step approach. Chem. Commun., 2010, 46, 1902.
- S. Berner, P. Araya, J. Govan, H. Palza, Cu/Al and Cu/Cr based layered double hydroxide nanoparticles as adsorption materials for water treatment, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 2018, 59,
- E.S. Zhitova, S.V. Krivovichev, I. Pekov, H.C. Greenwell, Crystal chemistry of natural layered double hydroxides. 5. Single-crystal structure refinement of hydrotalcite, [Mg6Al2(OH)16](CO3)(H2O)4, Mineral. Mag., 2019, 83, 269–280.
- N. Mao, Y. Jiao, CuAl Hydrotalcite Formed CuAl-Mixed Metal Oxides for Photocatalytic Removal of Rhodamine B and Cr(VI), ChemistrySelect, 2018, 3, 12676–12681.
- K.M. Parida, L. Mohapatra, Carbonate intercalated Zn/Fe layered double hydroxide: A novel photocatalyst for the enhanced photodegradation of azo dyes, Chem. Eng. J., 2012, 179, 131–139.
- S. Das, S.K. Dash, K.Z. Parida, Kinetics, Isotherm, and Thermodynamic Study for Ultrafast Adsorption of Azo Dye by an Efficient Sorbent: Ternary Mg/(Al + Fe) Layered Double Hydroxides, ACS Omega, 2018, 3, 2532–2545.
- S.A. Haji Azaman, A. Afandi, B.H. Hameed, A.T. Mohd Din, Removal of malachite green from aqueous phase using coconut shell activated carbon: Adsorption, desorption, and reusability studies, J. Appl. Sci. Eng., 2018, 21, 317–330.
- Y.C. Lee, M.H.M. Amini, N.S. Sulaiman, M. Mazlan, J.G. Boon, Batch adsorption and isothermic studies of malachite green dye adsorption using leucaena leucocephala biomass as a potential adsorbent in water treatment, Songklanakarin J. Sci. Technol., 2018, 40, 563–569.
- M. Rajabi, Adsorption of malachite green from aqueous solution by carboxylate group functionalized multi-walled carbon nanotubes: Determination of equilibrium and kinetics parameters, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 2016, 34, 130–138.
- F. Kovanda, Layered Double Hydroxides Intercalated With Organic Anions and. Acta Geodyn, Geomater, 2009, 6, 111–119.
- E. Sharifpour, E. Alipanahpour Dil, A. Asfaram, M. Ghaedi, A. Goudarzi, Optimizing adsorptive removal of malachite green and methyl orange dyes from simulated wastewater by Mn-doped CuO-Nanoparticles loaded on activated carbon using CCD-RSM: Mechanism, regeneration, isotherm, kinetic, and thermodynamic studies, Appl. Organomet. Chem., 2019, 33, 1–14.
- G. George, M.P. Saravanakumar, Facile synthesis of carbon-coated layered double hydroxide and its comparative characterisation with Zn-Al LDH: application on crystal violet and malachite green dye adsorption-isotherm, kinetics and Box-Behnken design, Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. Int., 2018, 25, 30236–30254.
- P. Chakraborty, R. Nagarajan, Efficient adsorption of malachite green and Congo red dyes by the surfactant (DS) intercalated layered hydroxide containing Zn2+ and Y3+-ions, Appl. Clay Sci., 2015, 118, 308–315.
- N.R. Palapa, T. Taher, R. Mohadi, M Said, Synthesis of Ni/Al Layered Double Hydroxides (LDHs) for Adsorption of Malachite Green and Direct Yellow Dyes from Solutions : Kinetic and Thermodynamic, 2018, 226, 020033.
- S. Mukherjee, A. Kumar, M. Zaworotko, Metal-organic framework based carbon capture and purification technologies for a clean environment, J. environment Republic of Ireland, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-814633-0.00003-X.
- Y. Lu, B. Jiang, L. Fang, F. Ling, J. Gao, F. Wu, X. Zhang, High-performance NiFe layered double hydroxide for methyl orange dye and Cr(VI) adsorption, Chemosphere, 2016, 152, 415–422.
- M. Greluk, Z. Hubicki, Efficient removal of Acid Orange 7 dye from water using the strongly basic anion exchange resin Amberlite IRA-958, Desalination, 2011, 278, 219–226.
- O. León, A.M. Bonilla, D. Soto, D. Pérez, M. Rangel, M. Clina, M.F. Garcia, Removal of anionic and cationic dyes with bioadsorbent oxidized chitosans, Carbohydr. Polym., 2018, 194, 375–383.
LicenseAuthors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).