Removal of trivalent chromium ions from aqueous solutions by Sodium polyacrylate beads
AbstractIn the present study, the performance of sodium polyacrylate beads on the removal of trivalent chromium Cr (III) from aqueous solutions was evaluated using several techniques such as Fourier Transformed Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR), Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and Energy Dispersive X-ray Analysis (EDAX), Inductively Coupled Plasma (ICP) and Atomic Adsorption Spectroscopy (AAS). On one hand, the characterization of dry PANa beads was carried out through FTIR and the surface morphology was analyzed by SEM and EDAX methods in order to show the loading of heavy metal on PANa beads. On the other hand, the effect of contact time, initial pH solution, initial Cr(III) concentration, adsorbent mass and temperature on the adsorption capacity of PANa was studied. All results have shown that the adsorption equilibrium was reached at about 60 minutes with an adsorption efficiency close to 90 %. Also, the study of the reliability of PANa beads was effectuated using 0.01 M nitric acid solution through six cycles of adsorption/desorption which were determined in order to study the reliability of PANa over time and to test their efficiency in industrial applications. Finally, the obtained thermodynamic parameters (ΔG°, ΔH° and ΔS°) indicate that the adsorption process is spontaneous and endothermic.
- P.A. Kobielska, A.J. Howarth, O.K. Farha, S. Nayak, Metal-organic frameworks for heavy metal removal from water, Coordination Chemistry Reviews, 2018, 358, 92-107.
- X. Gong, D. Huang, Y. Liu, G. Zeng, R. Wang, J. Wei, C. Huang, P. Xu, J. Wan, C. Zhanga, Pyrolysis and reutilization of plant residues after phytoremediation of heavy metals contaminated sediments: For heavy metals stabilization and dye adsorption, Bioresource technology. 2018, 253, 64-71.
- H. Kołoczek, J. Chwastowski, W. Żukowski, Peat and coconut fiber as biofilters for chromium adsorption from contaminated wastewaters,
Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res., 2016, 23, 527-534.
- J. Chwastowski, P. Staroń, H. Koloczek, M. Banach, Adsorption of hexavalent chromium from aqueous solutions using Canadian peat and coconut fiber. Journal of Molecular Liquids, 2017, 248, 981-989.
- P.A. Kumar, M. Ray, S. Chakraborty, Hexavalent chromium removal from wastewater using aniline formaldehyde condensate coated silica gel. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2007, 143, 24-32.
- D. Basketter, D. Slodovnik, S. Merimes, A. Trattner, A. Ingber, Investigation of the threshold for allergic reactivity to chromium, Contact Dermatitis, 2000, 44, 70-74.
- A. D. Dayan, A. J. Paine, Mechanisms of chromium toxicity, carcinogenicity and allergenicity: review of the literature from 1985 to 2000. Hum. Exp. Toxicol, 2001, 20, 439-451.
- A. Pechova, A. Pavlata, Chromium as an essential nutrient: a review. Veterinarni medicina-praha-, 2007, 52, 1-18.
- E. E. Roginski, W. Mertz, Effects of chromium (III) supplementation on glucose and amino acid metabolism in rats fed a low protein diet, Journal of nutrition, 1969, 97, 525-530.
- E. M. Hamilton, S. D. Young, E. H. Bailey, M. J. Watts, Chromium speciation in foodstuffs: a review, Food Chemistry, 2018, 250, 105-112.
- S. Abbasi, A. Bahiraei, Ultra trace quantification of chromium (VI) in food and water samples by highly sensitive catalytic adsorptive stripping voltammetry with rubeanic acid, Food chemistry, 2012, 133, 1075-1080.
- F. Veglio, R. Quaresima, P. Fornari, S. Ubaldini, Recovery of valuable metals from electronic and galvanic industrial wastes by leaching and electrowinning. Waste Management, 2003, 23, 240-252.
- C. Volzone, L. B. Garrido, Use of modified hydroxy-aluminum bentonites for chromium (III) removal from solutions, Journal of environmental management, 2008, 88, 1640-1648.
- V. J. Inglezakis, M. D. Loizidou, H. P. Grigoropoulou, Ion exchange of Pb2+, Cu2+, Fe3+, and Cr3+ on natural clinoptilolite: selectivity determination and influence of acidity on metal uptake, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2003, 261, 49-54.
- S. K. Sahu, P. Meshram, B. D. Pandey, V. Kumar, T. R. Mankhand, Removal of chromium (III) by cation exchange resin, Indion 790 for tannery waste treatment, Hydrometallurgy, 2009, 99, 170-174.
- H. Li, J. Li, Z. Chi, W. Ke, Kinetic and equilibrium studies of chromium (III) removal from aqueous solution by IRN-77 cation-exchange resin, Procedia Environmental Sciences. 2012, 16, 646-655.
- J. Guo, Q. Zhang, Z. Cai, K. Zhao, Preparation and dye filtration property of electrospun polyhydroxybutyrate-calcium alginate/carbon nanotubes composite nanofibrous filtration membrane, Separation and Purification Technology, 2016, 161, 69-79.
- A. K. Golder, A. N. Samanta, S. Ray, Removal of trivalent chromium by electrocoagulation. Separation and purification technology, 2007, 53, 33-41.
- M. Ilou, F. Abida, Z. Hatim, A. Kheribech, Removal of heavy metals from synthetic solution by electrocoagulation. Mediterranean Journal of Chemistry, 2016, 5, 521-527.
- Li H., Liu S., Zhao J., and Feng N., Removal of reactive dyes from wastewater assisted with kaolin clay by magnesium hydroxide coagulation process. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 2016, 494, 222-227.
- S. S. Salih, T. K. Ghosh, Preparation and Characterization of Chitosan-Coated Diatomaceous Earth for Hexavalent Chromium Removal. Environmental Processes, 2018, 5, 23-39.
- S. S. Salih, T. K. Ghosh, Highly efficient competitive removal of Pb (II) and Ni (II) by chitosan/diatomaceous earth composite. Journal of environmental chemical engineering, 2018, 6, 435-443.
- X. Chen, B. Zhang, Y. Liu, C. Zhao, H. Zhang, Q. Zhang, Effect of embedded sodium polyacrylate chains on the adsorption mechanism of neutral red by magnetic particles. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 2017, 127, 223-235.
- S. S. Batool, Z. Imran, S. Hassan, K. Rasool, M. Ahmad, M.A. Rafiq, Enhanced adsorptive removal of toxic dyes using SiO2 nanofibers. Solid State Sciences, 2016, 55, 13-20.
- A. Ouass, I. Ismi, H. Elaidi, A. Lebkiri, M. Cherkaoui, E. H. Rifi, Mathematical Modeling Of The Adsorption Of Trivalent Chromium By The Sodium Polyacrylate Beads , J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 2017, 8, 3448-3456.
- O. F. Larsen, S. Woutersen, Vibrational relaxation of the H2O bending mode in liquid water, Journal of chemical physics, 2004, 121, 12143-12145.
- E. Finocchio, E. Macis, R. Raiteri, G. Busca, Adsorption of trimethoxysilane and of 3-mercaptopropyltrimethoxysilane on silica and on silicon wafers from vapor phase: an IR study, Langmuir, 2007, 23, 2505-2509.
- W. Wang, Y. Kang, A. Wang, One-step fabrication in aqueous solution of a granular alginate-based hydrogel for fast and efficient removal of heavy metal ions, Journal of Polymer Research, 2013, 20, 101-110.
- I. Ismi, E. H. Rifi, , A. Lebkiri, H. Oudda, Spectral characterization of PA-Cu under two polymeric forms and their complex PA-Cu, J. Mater. Environ. Sci, 2015, 6, 343-348.
- A. Nasrullah, H. Khan, A. S. Khan, Z. Man, N. Muhammad, M. I. Khan, N. M. Abd El-Salam, Potential biosorbent derived from Calligonum polygonoides for removal of methylene blue dye from aqueous solution, The Scientific World Journal, 2015, Vol. 2015, ID: 562693.
- T. Salman, F. A. Temel, N. G. Turan, Y. Ardali, Adsorption of lead (II) ions onto diatomite from aqueous solutions: Mechanism, isotherm and kinetic studies, Global NEST Journal, 2016, 18, 1-10.
- Ş. Taşar, F. Kaya, A. Özer, Biosorption of lead (II) ions from aqueous solution by peanut shells: equilibrium, thermodynamic and kinetic studies, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering,
, 2, 1018-1026
- J. Li, Q. Lin, X. Zhang, Y. Yan, Kinetic parameters and mechanisms of the batch biosorption of Cr (VI) and Cr (III) onto Leersia hexandra Swartz biomass, Journal of Colloid and interface Science, 2009, 333, 71-77.
- D. Lu, Q. Cao, X. Li, X. Cao, F. Luo, W. Shao, Kinetics and equilibrium of Cu (II) adsorption onto chemically modified orange peel cellulose biosorbents, Hydrometallurgy, 2009, 95, 145-152.
- S. H. Shaikh, S.A. Kumar, Polyhydroxamic acid functionalized sorbent for effective removal of chromium from ground water and chromic acid cleaning bath, Chemical Engineering Journal, 2017, 326, 318-328.
- A. B. Pérez-Marín, V. M. Zapata, J. F. Ortuno, M. Aguilar, J. Sáez, M. Lloréns, Removal of cadmium from aqueous solutions by adsorption
onto orange waste, Journal of hazardous materials, 2007, 139, 122-131.
- T. Ngulube, J. R. Gumbo, V. Masindi, A. Maity, An update on synthetic dyes adsorption onto clay based minerals: A state-of-art review, Journal of environmental management, 2017, 191, 35-57.
- V. Bekiari, P. Lianos, Poly (sodium acrylate) hydrogels as potential pH-sensitive sorbents for the removal of model organic and inorganic pollutants from water, Global Nest Journal, 2010, 12, 262-269.
- N. Benzidia, A. Salhi, S.Bakkas, L.Khamliche, Biosorption of Copper Cu (II) in aqueous solution by chemically modified crushed marine algae (Bifurcaria bifurcata): Equilibrium and kinetic studies. Mediterranean Journal of Chemistry, 2015, 4, 85-92.
- Z. Li, Q. Tang, T. Katsumi, X. Tang, T. Inui, S. Imaizumi, Leaf char: an alternative adsorbent for Cr (III). Desalination, 2010, 264, 70-77.
- S. Kaur, S. Rani, R. K. Mahajan, Adsorption kinetics for the removal of hazardous dye congo red by biowaste materials as adsorbents, Journal of Chemistry, 2012, 2013, ID: 628582
- S. H. Abbas, W. H. Ali, Evaluation of biomass type blue Cyanophyta algae for the sorption of Cr (III), Zn (II) and Ni (II) from aqueous solution using batch operation system: Equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies, Global Nest Journal, 2018, 20, 69-82.
- I. Enniya, L. Rghioui, A. Jourani, Adsorption of hexavalent chromium in aqueous solution on activated carbon prepared from apple peels, Sustainable Chemistry and Pharmacy, 2018, 7, 9-16.
- L. Kadiri, A. Lebkiri, E. H. Rifi, A. Ouass, Y. Essaadaoui, I. Lebkiri, H. Hamad, Kinetic studies of adsorption of Cu (II) from aqueous solution by coriander seeds (Coriandrum Sativum). In : E3S Web of Conferences. EDP Sciences, 2018, 02005.
- A. Ramesh, D. J. Lee, J. W. C. Wong, Thermodynamic parameters for adsorption equilibrium of heavy metals and dyes from wastewater with low-cost adsorbents, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2005, 291, 588-592.
- S. S. Salih, T. K. Ghosh, Preparation and characterization of bioadsorbent beads for chromium and zinc ions adsorption. Cogent Environmental Science, 2017, 3, 1401577.
- S. Wu, K. Zhang, J. He, X. Cai, K. Chen, Y. Li, B. Sun, L. Kong, J. Liu, High efficient removal of fluoride from aqueous solution by a novel hydroxyl aluminum oxalate adsorbent, Journal of colloid and interface science, 2016, 464, 238-245.
- L. Li, F. Liu, H. Duan, X. Wang, J. Li, Y. Wang, C. Luo, The preparation of novel adsorbent materials with efficient adsorption performance for both chromium and methylene blue, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2016, 141, 253-259.
- L. Kadiri, M. Galai, M. Ouakki, Y. Essaadaoui, A. Ouass, M. Cherkaoui, E. H. Rifi, A. Lebkiri, Coriandrum Sativum. L Seeds Extract as a Novel Green Corrosion Inhibitor for Mild Steel in 1.0 M Hydrochloric and 0.5 M Sulfuric Solutions, Anal. Bioanal. Electrochem, 2018, 10, 249-268.
- Y. Essaadaoui, A. Lebkiri, E. H. Rifi, L. Kadiri, A. Ouass, Adsorption of lead by modified Eucalyptus camaldulensis barks: equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies. Desalination and Water Treatment. 2018, 111, 267-277.
- S. S. Salih, T. K. Ghosh, Adsorption of Zn (II) ions by chitosan coated diatomaceous earth. International journal of biological macromolecules, 2018, 106, 602-610.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).