Spectroscopic and thermal degradation studies of novel hybrid polymer based on sodium polyphosphate - polystyrene
AbstractWe have synthesized by the hydrophobic effect a new hybrid polymer material (HP) composed of segments of different solubility: polystyrene (hydrophobic) and sodium metaphosphate (hydrophilic). The structure and thermal stability of these hybrid materials were investigated and compared to the starting materials using X-ray diffraction (XRD), 31P Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, Raman spectroscopy and thermogravimetric analysis (TGA).The structure of the hybrid material consists of a mixture of phosphate compounds resulting from the hydrolysis of NaPO3. The phosphate groups have probably formed hydrogen bonds with aromatic CH. Furthermore, the delocalization of the electrons in the aromatic group generates negative poles that can interact with the positively charged Na ion, forming a cation-Ï€ interaction.The thermal characterization of these hybrids shows a clear improvement of the thermal property. TGA results show that phosphates increase HP residues yields at 600°C. Thus, Raman spectroscopy results provide evidence for the formation of residues having an aromatic phosphocarbon and an aromatic graphitic structure.
- M. Mujahid, A. Khan, Rafiuddin, Inamuddin, Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 2013, 19, 120-128.
- M. Arsalan, Rafiuddin, Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 2014, 20, 3568-3577.
- Y.Q. Qiao, X.L. Wang, Y. Zhou, J.Y. Xiang, D. Zhang, S.J. Shi, J.P. Tu, ElectrochimicaActa, 2010, 56, 510-516.
- A. Bhide, K. Hariharan, Journal of Power Sources, 2006, 159, 1450-1457.
- A. Bhide, K. Hariharan, European Polymer Journal. 2007, 43, 4253-4270.
- N. Nabih, U. Herrmann, G. Glasser, I. Lieberwirth, K. Landfester, A. Taden, Progress in Organic Coatings, 2013, 76, 555â€“562.
- M.L. Renier and D.H. Kohn, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 1997, 34, 95-104.
- H.G.M. Edwards, D.R. Brown, J.A. Dale, S. Plant, Vibrational Spectroscopy, 24, 2000, 213-224.
- J. Clarkson, S.M Mason, K.P.J. Williams. Spectrochimica Acta, 1991, 47, 1345-1351.
- T. Lazaridis, Acc. Chem. Res., 2001, 34, 931.
- R. Signer, J. Weiler, Raman spectra and constitution of compounds of high molecular weight. LXII. Formation of higher polymers, Chim. Acta, 1932, 15, 649-657.
- N. Sajai, A. Chahine, M. Et-tabirou, M. Taibi, A. Mazzah, Structure and properties of (50-x)CaO-xPbO-50P2O5 metaphosphate glasses, Optoelectronics and Advanced Materiels, 2012, 6, 99-103.
- X. Li, A. Lu, H. Yang, Structure of ZnO-Fe2O3-P2O5 glasses probed by Raman and IR spectroscopy, Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 2014, 389, 21-27.
- J. A. Jiménez, M. Sendova. Catalyst role of Nd3+ ions for the precipitation of silver nanoparticles in phosphate glass, Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 2017, 691, 44-50.
- R.F. BrandÃ£o, R.L. Quirino, V.M. Mello, A.P. Tavares, A.C. Peres, F. Guinhos, J.C. Rubim, P.A.Z Suarez, Synthesis, characterization and use of Nb2O5 based catalysts in producing biofuels by transesterification, esterification and pyrolysis, J. Braz. Chem. Soc. 2009, 20, 954-966.
- S. Nasri, M. Megdiche, M. Gargouri, The investigation of dielectric properties and ac conductivity of new ceramic diphosphate Ag0.6Na0.4FeP2O7 using impedance spectroscopy method, Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures.2016, 84, 182-190.
- J.C. Ma and D.A. Dougherty, The Cationâˆ’Ï€ Interaction, Chem. Rev. 1997, 97, 1303-1324.
- E.H. Agung, S.M. Sapuan, M.M. Hamdan, H.M.D.K. Zaman and U. Mustafa, Study on abaca (Musa textilis Nee) fibre reinforced high impact polystyrene (HIPS) composites by thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), International Journal of the Physical Sciences. 2011, 6, 2100-2106.
- N. Rami, H. Meghraoui, A. Elharfi, Ann. Chim. Sci. Mat. 2009, 33, 479.
- H.Y. Ma, Z.P. Fang, Synthesis and carbonization chemistry of a phosphorous-nitrogen based intumescent flame retardant, Thermochim Act. 2012, 543, 130-136.
- R. Escribano, J.J. Sloan, N. Siddique, N. Sze, T. Dudev, Raman spectroscopy of carbon-containing particles, Vibrational Spectroscopy. 2001, 26, 179-186.
- S. Khatibi, M. Ostadhassan, A. Aghajanpour, Journal of Oil, Gas and Petrochemical Sciences. 2018, 1(1), 28-33.
- S. Prawer, R. Nemanich, J. Raman spectroscopy of diamond and doped diamond, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A. 2004, 362, 2537.
- A.C. Ferrari, J. Robertson, Origin of the 1150−cm−1 Raman mode in nanocrystalline diamond, Phys. Rev B. 2001, 63, 121405.
- S. Song, J. Ma, K. Cao, G. Chang, Y. Huang, J. Yang, Synthesis of a novel dicyclic silicon-/phosphorus hybrid and its performance on flame retardancy of epoxy resin, Polymer Degradation and Stability. 2014, 99, 43-52.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).