The effects of calcination and doping on structural and dielectric properties of CaCu3-xCoxTi4O12 ceramic
AbstractThe influences of calcination temperature and doping with cobalt in Aâ€“site on structural and dielectric properties of CaCu3-xCoxTi4O12 (CCCxTO, x = 0.00, 0.02 and 0.10) ceramics sintered at 1050 0C for 8h were investigated. The ceramic samples are prepared by the conventional solid-state method using high purity oxide powders, and they are calcined at 850 Â°C, 950 Â°C and 1050 0C for 4h. The X-ray diffraction (XRD) analysis of pure and doped CCTO samples calcined at 950 Â°C and 1050 0C showed no traces of any other secondary phases, while impurity phases alongside CCTO phase in the x=0.00 sample calcined at 850 0C was observed. Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) investigation showed an increase in grain size with increasing of Co content and calcining temperature. Dielectric measurements indicated that the dielectric constant of the pure CCTO calcined at 1050 0C/4h has a low value in the frequency range of 1kHz up to 1MHz, whereas the substitution of Co up to x = 0.10 into CCTO caused a huge increase in the dielectric constant value of the calcined samples which is equal to 153419 and 18957 at 950 Â°C and 1050 0C respectively. The complex impedance analysis of all samples shows a decrease in resistance with an increasing temperature, which suggests a semiconductor nature of the samples.
- B.S. Prakash, K.B.R.Ãƒ. Varma, Synthesis of the Giant Dielectric Constant Material CaCu3Ti4O12 by Wet-Chemical Methods.,2007, 180, 1918-1927.
- T. Badapanda, R. Harichandan, S. Nayak, A. Mishra, S. Anwar, Frequency and temperature dependence behaviour of impedance, modulus and conductivity of BaBi4Ti4O15 aurivillius ceramic, Process. Appl. Ceram., 2014, 8, 145-153.
- W. Li, R.W. Schwartz, Ac conductivity relaxation processes in CaCu3Ti4O12 ceramics: Grain boundary and domain boundary effects, Appl. Phys. Lett., 2006, 89, 87-90.
- V.S. Vinila et al. X-Ray Diffraction Analysis of Nano Crystalline Ceramic PbBaTiO3, Cryst. Struct. theory Appl., 2014, 3, 57-65.
- N. Hadi. T. Lamcharfi. F. Abdi, A. Elbasset. Effect of Sintering Temperature on the Dielectric and Microstructure Properties of CaCu3Ti3,90Co0,10O12 Ceramic, Int. J. Dev. Res, 2017, 04, 12432-12436.
- P.R. Bueno, W.C. Ribeiro, M.A. RamÃrez, J.A. Varela, E. Longo. Separation of dielectric and space charge polarizations in CaCu3Ti4O12-CaTiO3 composite polycrystalline systems. Appl. Phys. Lett., 2007, 90, 2005-2008.
- M.A. Subramanian, A.W. Sleight. ACu3Ti4O12 and ACu3Ru4O12 perovskites: High dielectric constants and valence degeneracy. Solid State Sci., 2002, 4, 347-351.
- N. Hadi et al. Structural, dielectric and electrical properties of (1-x) CaCu3Ti4O12-xBaTiO3ceramics. Asian J. Chem., 2017, 29, 1811-1816.
- M. A. Subramanian, D. Li, N. Duan, B. A. Reisner, and A. W. Sleight, J. Solid State Chem. 2000, 151, 323
- L. He, J. B. Neaton, M. H. Cohen, D. Vanderbilt, C. C. Homes, First-principles study of the structure and lattice dielectric response of CaCu3Ti4O12. Physical Review B., 2002, 65, 214112.
- C.C. Homes, T. Vogt, S.M. Shapiro, S. Wakimoto, M.A.Subramanian, A.P. Ramirez, Charge transfer in the high dielectric constant materials CaCu3Ti4O12 and CdCu3Ti4O12,Physical Review B.,2003, 67, 092106.
- M. H. Cohen, J. B. Neaton, L. He, D. Vanderbilt, Extrinsic models for the dielectric response of CaCu3Ti4O12. Journal of Applied physics.,2003, 94, 3299-3306.
- C.C. Homes, T. Vogt, S.M. Shapiro, S. Wakimoto, Optical response of high-dielectric-constant perovskite-related oxideA. P. Ramirez, Science., 2001, 293, 673â€“676.
- D.C. Sinclair, T.B. Adams, F.D. Morrison, A.R. West, CaCu3Ti4O12: one-step internal barrier layer capacitor, Appl. Phys. Lett., 2002, 80, 2153â€“2155.
- T. B. Adams, D. C. Sinclair, A. R. West, Giant barrier layer capacitance effects in CaCu3Ti4O12 ceramics Adv. Mater.,2002, 14, 1321-1323.
- B. Timothy. Adams, C. Derek. Sinclair, and Anthony R. West, Characterization of grain boundary impedances in fine-and coarse-grained CaCu3Ti4O12 ceramics, Physical review B., 2006, 73, 094124.
- S. Y. Chung, I. D. Kim, S. J. L. Kang, Strong nonlinear current-voltage behaviour in perovskite-derivative calcium copper titanate Nat. Mater.,2004, 3, 774â€“778.
- P. Leret, J.F. Fernandez, J.de Frutos, D. Fernandez-Hevia, Nonlinear Iâ€“V electrical behaviour of doped CaCu3Ti4O12 ceramics, J. Eur. Ceram. Soc., 2007, 27, 3901-3905.
- S. Y. Chung, J. H. Choi, J. K. Choi, Tunable current-voltage characteristics in polycrystalline calcium copper titanate. Appl. Phys. Lett.,2007, 91, 091912.
- J. H. Clark, M. S. Dyer, R. G. Palgrave, C. P. Ireland, J. R. Darwent, J. B. Claridge, M. J. Rosseinsky, Visible light photo-oxidation of model pollutants using CaCu3Ti4O12: an experimental and theoretical study of optical properties, electronic structure, and selectivity, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 1016-1032.
- L. Liu, H. Fan, L. Wang, X. Chen, P.Fang, Dc-bias-field-induced dielectric relaxation and ac conduction in CaCu3Ti4O12 ceramics, Philosophical Magazine., 2008, 88, 537-545.
- L. Liu, H. Fan, P. Fang, L. Jin, Electrical heterogeneity in CaCu3Ti4O12 ceramics fabricated by sol-gel method. Solid State Communications, 2007, 142, 573-576.
- a-L. Liu et al, an effective method to decrease the dielectric loss of CaCu3Ti4O12 ceramics Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2009469,529â€“534.
b- D. Xu, X. Yue, Y. Zhang, J. Song, X. Chen, S. Zhong, J. Ma, L. Ba, L. Zhang, S. Du, Enhanced dielectric properties and electrical responses of cobalt-doped CaCu3Ti4O12 thin films, Journal of Alloys and Compounds 773 (2019) 853-859.
- R.A. Young. The Reitveld Method. International Union of Crystallography Monographs on Crystallography, Oxford University Press., 1995,5, pp. 1-38.
- A. Monshi, M.R. Foroughi, M.R. Monshi. Modified Scherrer Equation to Estimate More Accurately Nano-Crystallite Size Using XRD. World, J. Nano Sci. Eng., 2012, 02, 154-160.
- a- R. Jacob, H.G. Nair, J. Isac. Structural and Morphological Studies of Nanocrystalline Ceramic BaSr0.9Fe0.1TiO4. Int. Lett. Chem. Phys. Astron., 2014, 41, 100-117.
b- M. Ahmadipour Â· M. Arjmand Â· M. Fadzil Ain Â· Zainal, A. Ahmad Â· S-Y. Pung. (2019). Effect of WO3 loading on structural, electrical and dielectric properties of CaCu3Ti4O12 ceramic composites. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics.doi:10.1007/s10854-019-00992-z.
- A.F.L. Almeida, P.B.A. Fechine, J.C. GÃ³es, M.A. Valente, M.A.R. Miranda, A.S.B. Sombra. Dielectric properties of BaTiO3(BTO)-CaCu3Ti4O12(CCTO) composite screen-printed thick films for high dielectric constant devices in the medium frequency (MF) range. Mater. Sci. Eng. B Solid-State Mater. Adv. Technol., 2004, 111, 113-123.
- L. Singh, U.S. Rai, A.K. Rai, K.D. Mandal. Sintering effects on dielectric properties of Zn-doped CaCu3Ti4O12 ceramic synthesized by modified sol-gel route. Electron. Mater. Lett.,2013, 9, 107-113.
- L. Guizhong, Z. Chen, S. Xiaojun, L. Liu, L. Fang, B. Elouadi, Electrical properties of AC3B4O12-type perovskite ceramics with different cation vacancies, Materials Research Bulletin., 2015, 65, 260-265.
- L. Liu, L. Fang, et al. Dielectric and nonlinear current-voltage characteristics of rare-earth doped CaCu3Ti4O12 ceramics. Journal of Applied Physics., 2011, 110, 094101.
- J. Deng, L. Liu, X. Sun, S. Liu, et al, Dielectric relaxation behavior and mechanism of Y2/3Cu3Ti4O12 ceramic Materials Research Bulletin, 2017, 88, 320-329.
- a- J. Deng, X. Sun, S. Liu, L. Liu, et al Influence of interface point defect on the dielectric properties of Y doped CaCu3Ti4O12 ceramics Journal of Advanced Dielectrics, 2016, 6, 1650009.
b- Pengfei, Cheng, Zhuang Cao, MinZhou, Qiuping Wang, Shengtao Li, Jianying Li, Dielectric properties of CaCu3Ti4O12 ceramics doped by La3+, Ceramics International, (2019), doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/ j. ceramint.2019.05.023.
- a-L. Liu, Y. Huang, Y. Li, D. Shi, Sh. Zheng, Sh. Wu, L. Fang, Ch. Hu, Dielectric and non-Ohmic properties of CaCu3Ti4O12 ceramics modified with NiO, SnO2, SiO2, and Al2O3 additives, J Mater Sci 2012, 47:2294-2299.
b- J. Boonlakhorn, B. Putasaeng, P. Thongbai. Origin of significantly enhanced dielectric response and nonlinear electrical behavior in Ni2+-doped CaCu3Ti4O12: Influence of DC bias on electrical properties of grain boundary and associated giant dielectric properties. Ceramics International, Volume 45, Issue 6, 15 April 2019, Pages 6944-6949.
- R. Gerhardt, Impedance and dielectric spectroscopy revisited: distinguishing localized relaxation from long-range conductivity. J. Phys. Chem. Solids., 1994, 55, 1491-1506.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open Access).